• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Estate Sale/How I Acquired a Grail
1 1

117 posts in this topic

I am curious.

Why aren't all the haters piling on the OP about how he ripped off the estate by only paying 10% or less of the real value?

If Mile High Chuck had done this he would be castigated, with many wanting to castrate him as well.

BTW my personal opinion is that neither party did anything wrong. Perhaps the Estate Sales people really messed up, but that is between the family and them.

Only time I was at an Estate sale, absolutely nothing was marked. Had I known how inexpensive thing were I might have bought more

Many estate sales are managed by a professional company. At what point do we become responsible for a company if they price it to low

You don't. You pay the price as marked. The estate company works solely for the seller and it is their job to get the best price for their client. They do not have any obligation to you as the buyer. I have certainly bought items at an estate sale that I paid too much for--that is not their fault but mine.

29 minutes ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

I just got my book back from CGC after some restoration. It looks great and I'm pretty pumped. 

IMG_1072.JPG

That is freaking awesome!   :applause:

I'm beginning to think that restored grails are the way to go these days, prices are way too high for non restored.

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

That is freaking awesome!   :applause:

I'm beginning to think that restored grails are the way to go these days, prices are way too high for non restored.

Yea I'm not sure I'd be able to afford this book in anything close to a 5.5 otherwise.

On 8/5/2014 at 0:32 PM, delorean1981 said:

I have to ask Chris, I went to my first estate sale this past week and while I wasn't first in line (more like 20th) I did get into the house within 45 seconds of the doors opening.

By that time, there were 2 guys hoarding all the comics in both long boxes, immediately taking them to a corner of the room and not letting anyone touch them until he was picking through them.

Question: While he did in fact beat me in line to the sell, not knowing how far he drove to the sale, is it all unfair that he have the whole stack to himself, picking what he may and then handing over his leftovers?

I ask this because by this time, maybe 3 minutes into the actual sale, all comics are out of the box but none have been paid for, so technically not his, technically not mine. After I left I was rather upset knowing I had driven an hour only to get bamboozled by an eager fellow. I personally feel that if they're not paid for yet, you can give me half the stack and we go through together; we find something and we can talk about it. Perhaps that's just the naive side of me but if the situation was reversed, I shudder to think how he would've handled it.

He beat you to the box fair and square. They are "his" until he is done. You lost, better luck next time. It happens to everybody. Sometimes you are "the guy"

congrats on the 5.5 - it looks amazing... especially compared to your first photo of it.

i had no idea that estate sales were so cutthroat... whereas everyone races and pushes and shoves to the goods. 

That's too intense/infuriating for me

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2014 at 6:46 AM, DiceX said:

The number of sales that are a complete waste of time far outweigh the sales with comics like these.

Unless you're in the market for bread makers and overpriced "antiques." If so, you'll be happy with what you find at estate sales.

I love it when people write stuff like this. Just makes my job easier. I went to my first Vegas estate sale the second weekend in September of 2016.  Since then, I've spent $53,000 on them. 

Maybe $5,000 on comics or comic related items, but if you are a quick study and have an internet connection, you can find incredible bargains.  This past Sunday I bought a lot of currency- 3 1934 $20 Reserve Notes, a 1928 $10 Gold Note, five 1934 $5 Silver Certificates and 15 rough 1957 $1 silver Certificates. Guy had them priced at $200, then lowered it to $100( below face) late in the afternoon. 

I picked it up and offered him $80 and he accepted. The Gold Note alone is an easy hundred dollar bill all day long on eBay. My best buys are usually artwork, and Occupied Japan kitsch. They simply aren't popular in Vegas but sell very well on the internet. 

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a set of North American Big Game Hunters medallions.  Guy had a post it on it that said- Not Silver, but each coin had 31.0 grams of Silver stamped on them. Paid $100 for the set and sold the thirty medallions for $14.25 each, and have the beautiful Presentation Case left. It's on eBay for $35 empty. Full set goes for over $600 on eBay, but is a slow mover. 

Made a few bad purchase as well.  Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous.