• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan the Barbarian #1 to #24 CGC 9.8+ Scan and Photo Library
1 1

130 posts in this topic

Over the years I have collected a substantial amount of Conan cover photos/scans, although restricted to the first 24 issues and Annual #1 (=the Barry Windsor-Smith issues).

The collection is not complete, of today's 357 Conan the Barbarian #1 to #24 plus Annual #1 books I have pictures of 268 (= 75 %). Because not all books are ever offered for sale, and of course I may simply have missed some, the list can never be expected to be complete.

But no more sleepless nights! - Now you can FINALLY get answers to your questions:

1. What do the three 9.9 books look like? (#2, #7 and #21)?

2. Is there an #4 with perfect cover orientation/alignment?

3. I've never seen an #12 9.8, must been an error in the CGC Census, right?

4. In this short human life, will I ever see the single #1 9.8 belonging to the Signature Series?

And so on... ;-) You can find it all here (let me know if I can improve on anything):

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/runesr2/library/

15553.jpg

See more journals by Rune

Incredible! Simply incredible!

This took a lot of work. It's beautiful. You are one passionate collector!

Bravo!

SW3D

Edited by SW3D

BTW... Just curious... why is issue 12 scarce in photo availability? Is it a rare comic?

SW3D

Thanks and yes, currently there are only 3 #12 in 9.8 and none better. CarlD (who has the number one collection and all three 9.9s) was lucky to grab the #12 9.8 Suscha News WP at Metropolis Collectibles in 2012, before I saw it. At the same time he also got the single #11 9.8 (it's also Suscha News WP) - he has mentioned that I could get pictures one day, if so I will be happy to upload those (with his permission of course).

The most scarce 1 - 24 CGC 9.8+ books are:

#11 - only 1.

#12 - only 3.

#18 - only 4.

#14 - only 6.

So a bit strange that #18 OW-W sold for just $825 at CConnect a few days ago - the same book sold for $ 2500 at CLink the last time, guess someone got lucky :whee: Although it's OW-W, it is the most perfectly centered of the 4:

0056208017FOW-W_zps2fa05af7.jpg

Incredible! Simply incredible!

This took a lot of work. It's beautiful. You are one passionate collector!

Bravo!

SW3D

Thanks again, my dear wife said something a lot more unpolite about the nerd factor being off the chart or something :facepalm: "passionate collector" - I like those words much better, thanks :cloud9:

Thanks for putting in the work. Very beautiful books.

Mike

Thanks, it has taken about 7 years to collect the pictures. I left them like I found them, thus they are all unedited.

do I have to have a photobucket account to view? I could not see the books

No, it should just work without any account. On a mobile phone or tablet the site may look strange and it may be harder to find the scans. On my pc (Win7) it looks like this:

09062014-1.png

Great stuff Rune, I've always wondered who has the OA to Conan 1

Thanks, Joe, yes that OA would indeed be the Holy Conan Grail :grin: I did find something on a site that looked like Annual #1 OA, although it looks a bit too clean - still that may be Windsor-Smith's best Conan cover ever:

09062014-2.JPG

did find something on a site that looked like Annual #1 OA, although it looks a bit too clean - still that may be Windsor-Smith's best Conan cover ever:

Hmmmm hm #4 OA is purdy too :cloud9:

09062014-3.JPG

Although expensive, last time it sold for nearly $100k:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/barry-smith-conan-the-barbarian-4-the-tower-of-the-elephant-cover-original-art-marvel-1971-/a/7084-92354.s

Just added a folder containing Barry Windsor-Smith's original art covers for Conan the Barbarian:

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/runesr2/library/Original%20Art%20Covers

So far I located:

#0, #2-4, #8-9B-11, #13-14, #19-20 & 24. Annual #1 is not correct (I believe) as stated before.

Saw #0 for the first time myself:

0_zpsbd6f41ef.jpg

This, sir, is dedication and for the sake of the finest run of books ever. And I'm pleased to own a few books in your photo collection.

Thank you for the kind words, I fully agree that this is indeed one of the finest run of books ever. Personally I own about 10% of the books shown on the uploaded scans, and my best guess is, if we take the top 7 sets on the following list, then we have accounted for about 50% of the books I have uploaded:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetTypeDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=52

In recent years, Census has grown quite a lot. When I started collecting in 2007, there were 9 #1 9.8, now there are 32. Of course this means that more collectors may enjoy these great books. The demand still seems very strong though: a few days ago several 9.8 books sold at ComicConnect for very high or record prices - here are a few results:

Issue in 9.8 --- $$$

Conan 1 --- 7200 (third highest price I have seen, 8300 is max at GPAnalysis, but I know a book sold for 9600 at ComicLink (CLink) in about the year 2009. CLink prices are not registered by GPAnalysis)

Conan 2 --- 5500 (3x the previous highest price of about $1900 at CLink)

Conan 3 --- 3655 (highest price in the last 5 years - $6k is the highest price, but back then there was only one #3 9.8)

Conan 21 --- 2600 (highest price is $2802, so this was a close call)

Conan 4 --- 2300 (record price to my knowledge)

Conan 10 --- 2272 (record price to my knowledge)

Even #9 with a date stamp on the back sold for $1750 (more than 2x the previous highest price I know of), but it was a beautiful pedigree book with pure WP and perfect cover centering and orientation/alignment.

1027530009FWPSuschaNewsBARRYJAMES_zpsa87bc4e3.jpg

Rune,

Many thanks for the hard work and dedication put into the gallery. It was nice to stroll through the "museum" and see some items from my younger days. I have some of the BWS issues, though probably not high grade and it takes time to pull books from my collection to just admire the covers. Gotta love technology even though I'd prefer holding the original and admiring it.

I'm partial to remembering #24, the 1st Red Sophia appearance. Oops, meant "Sonja", I'm currently reading Cerebus. The page one splash comes to mind most vividly. BWS at his finest.

James