• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of your favorite artists' is their best cover?
2 2

394 posts in this topic

Please post the cover you regard as a given artist's magnum opus, preferably from your own collection. Emphasis on Golden/Atomic Age but any era allowed, plus magazines, pulps and paperbacks as well as comics, and of course OA if you have it. Try to restrict yourself to just one per artist, but of course, cheating is expected and secretly admired.

To get us started, here are a couple I really like:

My favorite artist, hands down, and this may just about be his best cover, with many other really great ones to choose from. But this would remain my favorite even if I owned the other ones I really love. Hopefully we'll see a few of those posted here.

Venus19CGC85_zpsc08df3b7.jpg

My favorite Schomburg cover. I'd take this over Suspense #3 any day. Of course if I could afford a Suspense #3 I might change my mind!

terrific5.jpg

My third favorite Schomburg cover! Beautiful copy Flex...wish mine were that nice...

Great books!! Here's one of my favorites (which I'm probably going to sell in order to purchase another favorite).

IMG_8920_zps29f5ddf3.jpg

My 4th favorite Schomburg cover. I missed one of these at auction and the cover literally kept popping up in my dreams until I bought one :grin:

Please post the cover you regard as a given artist's magnum opus, preferably from your own collection. Emphasis on Golden/Atomic Age but any era allowed, plus magazines, pulps and paperbacks as well as comics, and of course OA if you have it. Try to restrict yourself to just one per artist, but of course, cheating is expected and secretly admired.

To get us started, here are a couple I really like:

My favorite artist, hands down, and this may just about be his best cover, with many other really great ones to choose from. But this would remain my favorite even if I owned the other ones I really love. Hopefully we'll see a few of those posted here.

Venus19CGC85_zpsc08df3b7.jpg

It makes you pause for a few seconds and think about what's going on. Who is the skeleton posse in the background? They seem cool. I get that the main skeleton man had a great human mask, but wouldn't the bone fingers give him away first? Perhaps he was so charming that the young lady overlooked this costume shortcoming. All in all, an amazing cover...and your copy is really nice. (thumbs u

Another artist who did so many great covers, so it's nearly impossible to choose a single cover as his best. His St John romance covers, the best of them at any rate, which are the ones he inked as well as drew, are surely the clearest demonstration of his mastery.

TrueLovePictorial11_zps07d29052.jpg

Ive never seen this cover before.. its hilarious ...just the right expressions

I also like the Terrific over Suspense 3...

Another artist who did so many great covers, so it's nearly impossible to choose a single cover as his best. His St John romance covers, the best of them at any rate, which are the ones he inked as well as drew, are surely the clearest demonstration of his mastery.

TrueLovePictorial11_zps07d29052.jpg

Matt Baker is one of my favorites, too, but my favorite Baker cover is Seven Seas #4. (I like animals, so I prefer to believe that South Seas Girl is just going to scare the shark away with that knife.)

147901.jpg.36a2ca8be2bc172de8d1287a20c03640.jpg