• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which of your favorite artists' is their best cover?
2 2

394 posts in this topic

The Frazetta cover is a year later than Toth's AAW. It's possible of an occasional similarity but with these two superb artists I suspect it would be coincidental.

Frazetta, btw, is a known swiper of others' art with multiple instances of reuse of Foster poses as well as Wally Wood for the cover to Famous Funnies 213

P.S. Just noticed that the Toth cover predates the Frazetta cover.

Thanks for the information fellas (thumbs u

So maybe it was Frazetta that swiped Toth. :idea:

The Frazetta cover is a year later than Toth's AAW. It's possible of an occasional similarity but with these two superb artists I suspect it would be coincidental.

Frazetta, btw, is a known swiper of others' art with multiple instances of reuse of Foster poses as well as Wally Wood for the cover to Famous Funnies 213

Toth and Dan Barry took the Sickles approach to the next level and were widely imitated by Saaf, Sekowksy, Andru, Krigstein and others.

Here's Dan Barry:

GangBusters8.jpg

Alex Toth

AllAmWest121.jpg

Channeling Frazetta :eyeroll:

Frazetta was a Hal Foster fan and Toth was a Noel Sickles fan. Both of them evolved beyond these initial influences but I'm not aware of any real influence of either of them on the other. (shrug)

The figure and lighting reminded me of something I've seen Frazetta do - this cover has a figure in almost the same pose only reversed.

http://www.comics.org/issue/216525/cover/4/

I'm sure you're right - there's not direct connection but as we all know artists keep swipe libraries which include other artists work they like a pose from.

It had always been my understanding that Frazetta's Famous Funnies 213 was more of a general homage to Wood (i.e, the gadgetry built around a circular window or passageway), rather than a swipe from a specific cover.

FamFun213_zps8d92e2fc.jpg

Toth and Dan Barry took the Sickles approach to the next level and were widely imitated by Saaf, Sekowksy, Andru, Krigstein and others.

Here's Dan Barry:

GangBusters8.jpg

Another Frazetta cover I don't have (but would love to) that evokes a similar style is Tim Holt #23.

If anyone has a copy it'd be cool to see it. I've never seen one in any decent shape.

Here's a lower grade copy on eBay for those who aren't familiar with it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/141091738847?nav=SEARCH

Anyway, sorry I veered off topic - carry on with the great covers!

Ok, it is actually a tie for favorite Syd Shores cover. :grin:

ca32_zpsc17c9de3.jpg

Definitely his best wartime Cap cover - the composition looks like a Schomburg at first glance, though I think some of the Atlas war covers he did show a more mature style.

Pep #9 is my favorite Irv Novick cover, showcasing The Shield's strength and heroism instead of combat.

Note: This is atypical from most GA superhero covers.

Also, the artist's perspective is absolutely first rate. A brilliantly conceived and executed cover, IMO... :headbang:

5dd38355-99e6-4fb5-a860-f5a9767a93b1_zps1ed40395.jpg