• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #419 (Neal Adams cover) Appreciation Thread/Club
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Such a fantastic cover. I still remember the night I bought this book and being entranced by the cover. We were out to eat at our local pizza joint and I ran next store to the newstand to get my comics fix for the week. Man, I couldn't put this book down and read it at the dining table.

Sure my copies not high grade but you can't replace those memories and I wouldn't trade my tattered copy for anything!!

Such a fantastic cover. I still remember the night I bought this book and being entranced by the cover. We were out to eat at our local pizza joint and I ran next store to the newstand to get my comics fix for the week. Man, I couldn't put this book down and read it at the dining table.

Sure my copies not high grade but you can't replace those memories and I wouldn't trade my tattered copy for anything!!

That's what it's all about, the memories! I need to track down a raw copy and read this one for myself.

I made a rare trip to Hobby Lobby the other day, I needed some candles to help relax. Also glitter and various Hello Kitty items...

Anyhoo, they happened to have some cool superhero items.

One such item in particular is shaped like a thick book that opens up.

IMG_1305_zps1ehq0eyi.jpg

IMG_1306_zpswn3ljppg.jpg

I thought the item inside was a bit out of place, but still cool none the less.

IMG_1307_zpsr710lcw3.jpg

They have lots of old school DC and Marvel, as well as classic Star Wars, it's worth checking out next time the wife or girlfriend makes you go to Hobby Lobby.

I definitely have a beater or three of that book. First Human Target I like too. Too bad the show got cancelled. I actually kind of liked it. The guy from Boston Legal and Fringe (first season) and his main nemesis was Morgan from Walking Dead! Also the guy from the Bad News Bears was his tech nerd! I'm actually shocked it went 25 episodes, felt like it was off the air sooner and we watched them all.

Was browsing the Internet about this issue and came across this thread. I *adore* this cover. Not in any small part due to it being Neal Adams inked by Murphy Anderson - which didn't happen all that often. It's a great pairing. Plus, Canada made the Superman figure into a coin a few years back (it's beautiful, as well). 

The reason I was looking around about it was because the story features the launch of the Large Space Telescope (LST) by Grumman Aerospace (for which Pete Simmons, Director of Space Astronomy at Grumman, is credited for technical assistance). This, of course, decades before it actually launched as the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) after the project had been given to Lockheed-Martin. Grumman and Northrop provided the solution to the Hubble's lens problem in 1993. Grumman and Northrop combined in 1994 to become Northrop Grumman, which is currently readying to launch the James Webb Space Telescope.

The reason I mention all of this is because the splash page features an extremely accurate (*particularly* for 1972) visual portayal of a space shuttle and the LST - 10 years before operational flights of the shuttle and almost 20 years before a space telescope made it into space. Even today, after the familiarity of the shuttle and space telescopes, it looks super accurate.

Later, in Action Comics #423, they featured a half-page showing Pete Simmons and staff all enjoying the comic with the cover facing the camera.

We have a family friend who is working to finalize the James Webb Space Telescope as an engineer with Northrop Grumman. It's amazing how all of this stuff touches your life in little ways. 

Based on the age of this thread, I have no idea if anyone will see this, but I had to share.

(EDIT: Whoops! I see that a follow up was posted with the Grumman ad, but I think the splash from the issue and the Canada coin add a little value, anyway)

Canada Superman Coin Action #419 S-l500.jpg

ActionComics419SplashPage.jpg

GrummanAerospaceAction419.jpg

Edited by BGPhilbiln

On 4/28/2019 at 11:40 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

What? Is this book hot now? I saw another one go for over $1,500 earlier this year on Pedigree Comics. 

C943B316-3965-4926-A4D1-AFFC7ED31A46.thumb.jpeg.2afca62b67a5487d25882b4df236ec8c.jpeg

No, not really, $1K+ for a nearly 50 year old minor key classic neal adams cover isn't that much nowadays it seems. Guessing it is hard in 9.8. edit...oops, post was 2 years ago! a 9.8 has been sitting for a long time at $1400, so this book did not take off like everything else has

Edited by the blob

50 minutes ago, the blob said:

No, not really, $1K+ for a nearly 50 year old minor key classic neal adams cover isn't that much nowadays it seems. Guessing it is hard in 9.8. edit...oops, post was 2 years ago! a 9.8 has been sitting for a long time at $1400, so this book did not take off like everything else has

I got my 9.8 copy in 2007 or 08 for less than $150. It’s a great cover, the backup story with the first appearance of the Human Target was reprinted in Action Comics: 80 Years of Superman Deluxe Edition in 2018. Now I want to read the actual Superman story.