• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this really a Curator Pedigree ?

37 posts in this topic

The only person currently employed by CGC that I'd trust to verify pedigrees is Mark Haspel, but as he's only consulting these days, I don't know how many hours he spends there each week.

Agreed. I was once told that no pedigree designated book was finalized until Mark looked at the book = he personally reviewed every pedigree book submitted. I have no idea what goes on today.

Yup, when I submitted a bunch of Western Penn Daredevils back in the early 2000s, Steve Borock called me personally to check into the provenance of the books.

The only person currently employed by CGC that I'd trust to verify pedigrees is Mark Haspel, but as he's only consulting these days, I don't know how many hours he spends there each week.

Agreed. I was once told that no pedigree designated book was finalized until Mark looked at the book = he personally reviewed every pedigree book submitted. I have no idea what goes on today.

Yup, when I submitted a bunch of Western Penn Daredevils back in the early 2000s, Steve Borock called me personally to check into the provenance of the books.

that's all nice and fine, but i'm more concernced with one of those pre-s'case 4 w penn's you were supposed to send state-side.

Historically, CGC has been very diligent about maintaining the integrity of a pedigree. However, it seems like the current regime needs little to no validation for a pedigree status. Years ago, I purchased, direct from the OO collection, many Mass Pedigree comics. I have seen numerous situations where individuals have submitted books purchased from me as Mass pedigrees. Some, were definitely not Mass pedigrees, but were granted the status. I am sorry but I am speaking out. There are many books out there with a Mass pedigree status that I know are not. I am calling out CGC to pursue more diligence in granting pedigree status. I think it is important for the hobby. Feel free to contact me if desired.

It sounds like you are saying you sold the books as Mass Peds and some were not, but I'm assuming you meant you sold them books that were not peds, but they submitted them and got the ped status from CGC. If that is the case, then you should call those buyers/submitters and they should be called out about it.

You are correct. Some books that were purchased from me that were Not Mass peds were submitted by the new owner as Mass peds. If I saw such a book for sale I would contact the seller. Twice, I even bought the book to take it off the market. However, after a while, I gave up. If CGC didn't care to research it what was I supposed to do ?

Historically, CGC has been very diligent about maintaining the integrity of a pedigree. However, it seems like the current regime needs little to no validation for a pedigree status. Years ago, I purchased, direct from the OO collection, many Mass Pedigree comics. I have seen numerous situations where individuals have submitted books purchased from me as Mass pedigrees. Some, were definitely not Mass pedigrees, but were granted the status. I am sorry but I am speaking out. There are many books out there with a Mass pedigree status that I know are not. I am calling out CGC to pursue more diligence in granting pedigree status. I think it is important for the hobby. Feel free to contact me if desired.

It sounds like you are saying you sold the books as Mass Peds and some were not, but I'm assuming you meant you sold them books that were not peds, but they submitted them and got the ped status from CGC. If that is the case, then you should call those buyers/submitters and they should be called out about it.

You are correct. Some books that were purchased from me that were Not Mass peds were submitted by the new owner as Mass peds. If I saw such a book for sale I would contact the seller. Twice, I even bought the book to take it off the market. However, after a while, I gave up. If CGC didn't care to research it what was I supposed to do ?

At the very least, you should alert CGC to the books in particular so they can identify the seller and take steps to investigate the submission, claims of pedigree designation, and take steps to prevent that particular submitter from pulling the same BS again.,

Mark is here as his time permits - usually a few days per week. Mark, Matt Nelson and I verify pedigrees.

I didn't think about Matt. He's a great resource. (thumbs u

Yeah I'm still waiting for my coffee table pedigree book.

bob

But Bob (in my best Harley voice), it's not like you paid for advertising in advance for it did you?

Jim

You mean the payment for advertising that I made years ago?

By the time this book is made the ad will be digital

To the person putting this books together,

You have stirred the ire of Mr. Storms - yes, that's Mr. storm to you, son. Take my advice; publish that book quickly, give Mr. Storms several free copies, graciously and repeatedly thank him.

Huh? What if you don't? Mr. Storms fury will crash into you so hard that you'll wake up in PGX's basement wearing a gimp suit and all your graded books will come back with a restored PGX label. I kid you not.

Do the smart thing. Print the book. Yesterday.

Realizing I am really being outspoken about this, I just cannot believe this is a Curator Pedigree. I strongly believe the heritage of a pedigree should be maintained. With the grease mark date, possibly this is an Ohio pedigree but a Curator pedigree, I don't think so. CGC, tell me I am wrong and you have documentation directly from John Hauser.

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/itm/SHOWCASE-34-1961-CGC-VF-NM-9-0-WHITE-Pgs-CURATOR-Pedigree-1st-SILVER-AGE-ATOM-/310957916858?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48668942ba

JS_atom34.jpg

Nice catch, Bob. (thumbs u

That book was labeled a pedigree along with numerous other books that were not identified as being Curator's when Heritage liquidated Dan Jurgens' Fantastic Four run.

The Showcase #36 certification number falls within a group that included a 5.5 copy of FF#1, which was also certified a Curator, and listed by Heritage as such, but was eventually stripped of the designation prior to auction start.

Here's the backstory on the Jurgens books. The second link contains a spreadsheet that lists the book you caught.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5333448#Post5333448

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5344216#Post5344216

That book was labeled a pedigree along with numerous other books that were not identified as being Curator's when Heritage liquidated Dan Jurgens' Fantastic Four run.

The Showcase #36 certification number falls within a group that included a 5.5 copy of FF#1, which was also certified a Curator, and listed by Heritage as such, but was eventually stripped of the designation prior to auction start.

Here's the backstory on the Jurgens books. The second link contains a spreadsheet that lists the book you caught.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5333448#Post5333448

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5344216#Post5344216

Thanks for the links!

Realizing I am really being outspoken about this, I just cannot believe this is a Curator Pedigree. I strongly believe the heritage of a pedigree should be maintained. With the grease mark date, possibly this is an Ohio pedigree but a Curator pedigree, I don't think so. CGC, tell me I am wrong and you have documentation directly from John Hauser.

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/itm/SHOWCASE-34-1961-CGC-VF-NM-9-0-WHITE-Pgs-CURATOR-Pedigree-1st-SILVER-AGE-ATOM-/310957916858?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48668942ba

JS_atom34.jpg

oh cool we had a discussion of the FF 1 5.5 in the sa forum as the label has no curator designation but when you put the code into the verification tool it still comes up as a curator. Nice to finally know what the go is.

that's all nice and fine, but i'm more concernced with one of those pre-s'case 4 w penn's you were supposed to send state-side.

They`re all sitting right here in my collection. :grin: