• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel and DC legos

53 posts in this topic

some highlights of their build museum....(well, highlights for Boston fans anyway)...

Thank you for sharing those photos, we don't have kids and won't be able to see this stuff until one of the adult evenings this summer!

I recognized those New England Comics stickers on the variants too (thumbs u

I think the variants shown here are mostly from Newbury Comics...I often go there during my lunch hour to root around in the 'variant' boxes since it's the closest shop to my work. :)

As for lego land....we bought a season pass and have been a few times already. I have to say that I've noticed a LOT of families there with two kids and up to four or five adults.....which I attributed to people sharing kids to be able to sneak in early. ;)

Chris

My son is turning 13 soon and whilst I've done everything in my power as a dad to show him the light of comicdom, he has taken a course of his own, but not as bad as it could be. He is crazy about Marvel and DC Legos. I figure its a good go as I have seen some sets and mini figures reach rather interesting high dollar amounts. I can not seem to get him to just tuck the unopened box away. He insists on building/playing and buying/wanting more. Does this appear to be the new love for young collectors? Will we/he look back years from now and appreciate these compared to comic books. He really enjoys them more, that's all I can say. Tonight he picked up a Guardians of the Galaxy set and the Rocket Raccoon mini figure is pretty cool, I got to admit.

You are aware that literally tens of millions of these sets are sitting unopened while speculators erroneously wait to hit a pay day that will most likely never come. Just look at Lego Star Wars. How many sets made past 2006 are steadily increasing in value? Another thing that speculators have yet to consider is the fact that Lego may never lose the license to produce these sets. I like to use the example of the Lego Star Wars license. These sets have been in production since 1999. There is no reason to believe they won't till be made in 2019 or even 2029. The reason vintage Star Wars are worth money today is because number one, they were seen as toys first and collectibles second. We didn't have websites like brickpicker (or the internet either for that matter) back in 1978; and number two, these figures were only made from 1978 to 1985.

Another thing to consider is the amount of releases that occur. I remember getting into an argument on these very boards over the that fact that the Jango Fett minifigure was supposedly a good investment because it was never re-released. Guess what? Today it is readily available in a $19.99 set and as such that older version minifigure has dropped lke a rock on the secondary market.

Truth be told, Lego is a great toy, but a horrid investment at best.

This may be one of the few times where I 100% disagree with your opinion. :-)

some highlights of their build museum....(well, highlights for Boston fans anyway)...

Thank you for sharing those photos, we don't have kids and won't be able to see this stuff until one of the adult evenings this summer!

I recognized those New England Comics stickers on the variants too (thumbs u

I think the variants shown here are mostly from Newbury Comics...I often go there during my lunch hour to root around in the 'variant' boxes since it's the closest shop to my work. :)

As for lego land....we bought a season pass and have been a few times already. I have to say that I've noticed a LOT of families there with two kids and up to four or five adults.....which I attributed to people sharing kids to be able to sneak in early. ;)

Chris

Ah ok, I did see the Newbury tags too, maybe that is where I saw the 1 in 25 stickers in the past. I'm getting old, need to pay attention more :preach:

I think we're going to try to go to one of the evenings geared towards adults this summer, just missed one of them this week unfortunately.

You are aware that literally tens of millions of these sets are sitting unopened while speculators erroneously wait to hit a pay day that will most likely never come.

"Literally"? I agree there are plenty of Lego speculators out there but are there millions of them (since that's how many it would take to buy those "tens of millions of sets"...

I Agree investment based on out of production status is sketchy (speaking as someone who has profited from out of print hardcovers, omnibuses and such) but you are right, the investor sitting on that OOP Deathstar has to constantly be watching the Lego news in case word starts spreading on a new release so s/he can dump their set.

My son is turning 13 soon and whilst I've done everything in my power as a dad to show him the light of comicdom, he has taken a course of his own, but not as bad as it could be. He is crazy about Marvel and DC Legos. I figure its a good go as I have seen some sets and mini figures reach rather interesting high dollar amounts. I can not seem to get him to just tuck the unopened box away. He insists on building/playing and buying/wanting more. Does this appear to be the new love for young collectors? Will we/he look back years from now and appreciate these compared to comic books. He really enjoys them more, that's all I can say. Tonight he picked up a Guardians of the Galaxy set and the Rocket Raccoon mini figure is pretty cool, I got to admit.

You are aware that literally tens of millions of these sets are sitting unopened while speculators erroneously wait to hit a pay day that will most likely never come. Just look at Lego Star Wars. How many sets made past 2006 are steadily increasing in value? Another thing that speculators have yet to consider is the fact that Lego may never lose the license to produce these sets. I like to use the example of the Lego Star Wars license. These sets have been in production since 1999. There is no reason to believe they won't till be made in 2019 or even 2029. The reason vintage Star Wars are worth money today is because number one, they were seen as toys first and collectibles second. We didn't have websites like brickpicker (or the internet either for that matter) back in 1978; and number two, these figures were only made from 1978 to 1985.

Another thing to consider is the amount of releases that occur. I remember getting into an argument on these very boards over the that fact that the Jango Fett minifigure was supposedly a good investment because it was never re-released. Guess what? Today it is readily available in a $19.99 set and as such that older version minifigure has dropped lke a rock on the secondary market.

I agree with Cool Books! By your analogy comics could fit the same mold. Also the Jango is a little different than the original. The vintage Star Wars action figures have been remade with diffferent card backs. Granted they are not the same as the originals. There are plenty of people that buy vintage lego sets. A friend of mine has 6 of the Lego UCS Falcon and she still has people making her offers for them.

You are aware that literally tens of millions of these sets are sitting unopened while speculators erroneously wait to hit a pay day that will most likely never come.

"Literally"? I agree there are plenty of Lego speculators out there but are there millions of them (since that's how many it would take to buy those "tens of millions of sets"...

I Agree investment based on out of production status is sketchy (speaking as someone who has profited from out of print hardcovers, omnibuses and such) but you are right, the investor sitting on that OOP Deathstar has to constantly be watching the Lego news in case word starts spreading on a new release so s/he can dump their set.

Please read what I wrote again. The number noted was of the Lego sets themselves not of the number of speculators in the market. Keep in mind that that Lego produces millions to tens of millions of each set made unless otherwise noted. Have you ever gone into your local Toys R Us, Target, Wal*Mart, or K-Mart store and just looked at how many sets were on the shelf at any given time? Now multiple that by how many stores each retailer has. This still doesn't take into account Amazon.com or even Lego 'Shop at Home' either. When you look at Lego from an investment angle you have to ask what would stop Lego from reproducing their most popular sets? Case in point; Lego Star Wars. Very few Lego Star Wars sets are worth a whole lot of money and they have been making sets since 1999. What is to say they won't be making sets in 2019 or 2029?

Yes, in the beginning there was an 'investment' craze that lasted until everyone realized that Lego has no intention of stopping anytime soon. From what I hear the Lego Death Star is supposed to be a great 'investment...except for the fact that in it is still in production and has been for years (and yes, that last line was supposed to be said with sarcasm)...

My 2 boys, ages 9 and 13 treat their Legos the same way I handled my comics when I was their age. I hope it continues.

The 13 year old and his friends probably have $100s between them of brickarms. Rather than invest in sets, creating pieces that Lego hasn't created is a good niche market.

I agree with Cool Books! By your analogy comics could fit the same mold. Also the Jango is a little different than the original. The vintage Star Wars action figures have been remade with diffferent card backs. Granted they are not the same as the originals. There are plenty of people that buy vintage lego sets. A friend of mine has 6 of the Lego UCS Falcon and she still has people making her offers for them.

And how many other sets besides the UCS Falcon is he getting offers on above their retail price? How many of those sets were made after 2006? You are comparing the 'holy grail' of Lego sets to 'common drek' when a proper comic book analogy would be the UCS Falcon vs. Action #1 or Tec #27.

To comment on your point about different cardbacks; how many yellow figured SW minifigs sell for a high value? Why is it when a new minifigure design is released the older minifig drops in value (see the price difference between the original Jabba mold versus the new design)?

The analogies presented do not fit the facts. This is why even speculators on sites that cater to Lego investing and the like are starting to ask when do we start making money? If Lego continues to release sets indefinitely or even for decades on end the glut of product being stored by collectors and speculators alone will not amount to high dollars. Just look at eBay. If I list my Darth Vader Tie Fighter factory sealed set I am competing with how many other resellers? Everyone is saving these things as investments. Original Kenner vintage Star Wars figures were only made between 1978 through 1985. They were bought as toys and as collectibles a distant second or third. This is why they are coveted by collectors right now.

I am sorry, but Lego isn't a bad toy to buy at all. In fact I would venture to say you would recoup more or most of your original retail price by Lego then by say any kind of action figure on the market today. Truth be told however it is a horrid investment just due to the overwhelming amount of supply readily available at any given time.