• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Al Simmons signed Spawn book

17 posts in this topic

Visited a tag sale today and found this in the very back of the very last box.

Spawn14signedFront-VF_zpsa3745d1a.jpeg

From what I've dug up online, Al Simmons (the person - namesake of the character) dressed as Spawn and attended cons in the mid-late 90s, signing autographs, etc.

And of course, there was the lawsuit... (one of many links out there)

Todd McFarlane sues Al Simmons

Anybody have more info, or similar Al sigs? Is it worth anything? Pondering throwing it up on the bay for bidding and see what happens. This was the only signed book in the entire collection of 4 long boxes.

Not really anymore info...and the signature really doesn't add to the value. :sorry:

Well, McFarlane's court battle is over and Al Simmon's book is still out there.  For all the up-to-date happenings about Al Simmon's signature out there, go to:  https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2012/10/todd-mcfarlane-vs-spawn-lawyers-dream.html  .  You'll find the background of McFarlane's and Simmon's early friendship in baseball of all things!  The actual court documents are in the blogspot and, at the bottom you'll find Comic Con ads for McFarlane along with Al Simmon dressed as Spawn, walking around keeping busy by signing books for people.  So the question is, "Is it an actual signature of someone associated with the comic book, Spawn?"  Kind of sorta in a very round about way that is disputed by McFarlane.  Is it a real signature of a person?  Yes, more of an actor in costume with the same name and color as the Spawn character.  This all stinks for everyone that thought that signature might be of some value though.  I'm sure CBCS wouldn't verify the signature, since it has nothing to do with the book.  Oh, wait, didn't an actor lately come up with a comic and his signature has been validated.  Let me see, who was that BRZRKR in the comic anyway?  Oh well, just a thought...:blahblah: :roflmao:

10 hours ago, seanfingh said:

How could Mr. Simmons continuously represent that Spawn was the first African-American superhero?  That is ludicrous.  Clearly no one edited that POS book.

Wasnt the first in all negro comics 1 in the 1947 with only one issue because no one wanted it to be published and stop selling paper so the creator could not print more?wasnt that the very first africain américain superhero comics?

396px-All_Negro_Comics_page.jpg

All-Negro_Comics_1-1.jpg

Edited by Namtak

10 hours ago, Namtak said:

Wasnt the first in all negro comics 1 in the 1947 with only one issue because no one wanted it to be published and stop selling paper so the creator could not print more?wasnt that the very first africain américain superhero comics?

396px-All_Negro_Comics_page.jpg

All-Negro_Comics_1-1.jpgI’m 

The Red Mask in Best Comics #1 is widely thought to be the first black super hero.

20 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

The Red Mask in Best Comics #1 is widely thought to be the first black super hero.

Gold, Silver and Bronze Age stories have black heroes in them. Simmons' statement is simply ludicrous and shows an abject lack of knowledge of the industry.

21 hours ago, seanfingh said:

How could Mr. Simmons continuously represent that Spawn was the first African-American superhero?  That is ludicrous.  Clearly no one edited that POS book.

First African-American superhero that he cared about? 

(shrug)

Never saw him in person but followed a little on the net in the 90s when going on internet meant going trough the phone wire wich made that horrible sound.yup i am getting old lol

I did a show where Simmons and the Spawn Mobile were the featured guests. I'll never forget that show at Hofstra as someone was walking around with a short box of Sgt Fury 13's that seemed like it came from the MH2 collection.