• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you fill up half empty long boxes

57 posts in this topic

Shi tcan the long boxes and go for the short boxes. You're back will thank you,

and they are easier to move around and confuse your signifigant other, if you have

one of those, or your mom, or the cat.

This. I don't think the shop near me even sells long boxes.

Also, I started making my own short boxes out of poplar and oak. I router cut grooves along the insides so I can slide a partition board to keep the books standing up nice and tight. I'll try to snap a pic for anyone interested in doing something similar.

Cardboard spacers...watch this for a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAhJRBl8tqE

Watching that video reminds me of the time I tried to make a robot out of cardboard boxes when I was 9 or 10 years old, and was able to sneak a box cutter out of my dad's toolbox.

It didn't end well.

• Inadequate adult supervision & laissez-faire parenting in the 1970s... :cloud9:

• Blood, stitches, and getting yelled at... :cry:

The best answer is to use Drawer boxes. They come in long, short and magazine/CGC sizes.

http://www.collectiondrawer.com/comics

They should solve your problems in many ways. FIrst the rail and divider system should be able to support your books without the need for additional filler of any type. However with that said I still use my extra air bags to help.

Second the long boxes are about 3 inches shorter than most long boxes, therefore they are both lighter, and will fit in many places where other long boxes would not.

Perhaps most importantly the pull out drawer will allow you to have filing access to all of the boxes in your stacks, without the need to move the boxes. The boxes are designed to be able to be stacked 6 high and not crush anything.

They are a bit on the expensive side, but in the long run I think that they will be a bargain with the time saving of ongoing filing

and they are easier to move around and confuse your signifigant other, if you have

Also, I started making my own short boxes out of poplar and oak. I router cut grooves along the insides so I can slide a partition board to keep the books standing up nice and tight. I'll try to snap a pic for anyone interested in doing something similar.

I'd like to see this

As long as the box is not full, I keep the books piled up at the bottom of the box, in a pair of rows if needed. As there is enough comics, I just make a pile to half-fill the box and keep it laying flat, while the other ones which are already in order are kept vertically. It works, and comics do not get damaged, but you have got to have enough to pile for the last step (when the box is "almost full").

Great, I’d love to see them as well.

Well, I tend to use small boxes myself too, but in some cases (when you want to keep runs together) the long boxes are more practical.

I think it's a mistake to store comics or other books/paper inside wood.

There was a thread about this awhile ago when someone posted they stored their comics in a ceder chest.

You know, I am actually trying to get drawer boxes, but I can't find them in Germany. Shipping from the US seems excessive due to restrictive shipping costs.

I don't even want to think about the German toll, which is not a ton of fun to deal with (a lot of waiting around for them to deal with you, mostly).

So if any Europeans out there could give me a tip on those, I would be greatful (not sure, how many Germans are here...)

Currently, I am looking for a nice closet / Drawer organizing system, which fits my budget, though...

I am currently switching to short boxes, which will make the carrying bit a lot easier.

I am reading a lot of great and creative answers here, so cheers for that :-)

I've been researching draw boxes but still can't figure out the best ones to purchase. Any advice appreciated. Which ones are strongest? Where do you order to get the best deal? Is there a way to manage the shipping cost? That seems to be the killer hidden cost.

I think it's a mistake to store comics or other books/paper inside wood.

There was a thread about this awhile ago when someone posted they stored their comics in a ceder chest.

I agree, I wouldn't store in cedar. However, I don't agree that there is a problem with storing in wood in general. How many keep their books on wooden shelves? Same thing.

You know, I am actually trying to get drawer boxes, but I can't find them in Germany. Shipping from the US seems excessive due to restrictive shipping costs.

I don't even want to think about the German toll, which is not a ton of fun to deal with (a lot of waiting around for them to deal with you, mostly).

So if any Europeans out there could give me a tip on those, I would be greatful (not sure, how many Germans are here...)

Hi Mills, I am in Italy and I think it’s even worse here. At least it seems in Germany you have a producer of standard sized backing boards…

I still have to figure out the best way to purchase Mylite2 bags to spend the less possible amount in postage. From the UK is still a bit pricey… :(

I've been collecting for 25 years and this always bothered me. I like my various runs isolated in their own boxes and often times a shorter series won't fill a box, or it will have plenty of empty space as I complete the run. I used to fill boxes with old novels. It worked pretty well, but they were heavy and they shifted around in the boxes.

Then one day I bought a big sheet of insulation styrofoam and cut it down to sheets that fit my comic boxes. It worked so perfectly I contacted a styrofoam manufacturer and had sheets produced. I'm now using around 250 sheets in my collection.

It's been such a good solution that I decided to produce a bunch of them and start sharing them with the comic collecting community. They are light-weight, sturdy, and provide even pressure to keep your comics upright and secure. 

If you're looking for the best solution i've found in 25 years you can check it out at comicfill.com

Let me know what you think.

OptionC.jpg