• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you fill up half empty long boxes

57 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, ComicFill said:

I've been collecting for 25 years and this always bothered me. I like my various runs isolated in their own boxes and often times a shorter series won't fill a box, or it will have plenty of empty space as I complete the run. I used to fill boxes with old novels. It worked pretty well, but they were heavy and they shifted around in the boxes.

Then one day I bought a big sheet of insulation styrofoam and cut it down to sheets that fit my comic boxes. It worked so perfectly I contacted a styrofoam manufacturer and had sheets produced. I'm now using around 250 sheets in my collection.

It's been such a good solution that I decided to produce a bunch of them and start sharing them with the comic collecting community. They are light-weight, sturdy, and provide even pressure to keep your comics upright and secure. 

If you're looking for the best solution i've found in 25 years you can check it out at comicfill.com

Let me know what you think.

OptionC.jpg

necessity is the mother of invention! lol 

About a year or so ago, I saw this new adjustable insert that is made for long-boxes.

It was about a one-inch wide plastic strip that adhered to the inside of the long box near the top (and bottom I think) of each long side, and went the entire length on each side. And it had little plastic "teeth" or gear like cogs every half inch or so. You'd insert a sturdy board between the "teeth" and you can remove the board and place it anywhere along the entire length of the box to support the back of the stack of books no matter how many or few books so they never fell over. And I think they can be cut to length for short boxes also.

Nifty, but I don't use long boxes or typical short boxes either so I never needed them.

Edited by jcjames

14 minutes ago, jcjames said:

About a year or so ago, I saw this new adjustable insert that is made for long-boxes.

It was about a one-inch wide plastic strip that adhered to the inside of the long box near the top (and bottom I think) of each long side, and went the entire length on each side. And it had little plastic "teeth" or gear like cogs every half inch or so. You'd insert a sturdy board between the "teeth" and you can remove the board and place it anywhere along the entire length of the box to support the back of the stack of books no matter how many or few books so they never fell over. And I think they can be cut to length for short boxes also.

Nifty, but I don't use long boxes or typical short boxes either so I never needed them.

what do you then use to store your books?

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

what do you then use to store your books?

I use modified cardboard vodka boxes from costco.

I put a little decorations to cover the outside.

I have about 15-20 of these boxes for my raw PC books, nearly all books are in mylite2 SA/GA + FBs.

Most of the typical long and short comicbook boxes are just not wide enough to keep the SA/GA mylites from scrapping the sides of the box while flipping through them.

Each box comfortably holds 50-75 books.

AND... they don't give me a hernia lifting them, plus the fit on shelves easier. 

20190618_114619-1.jpg

20190618_114543-1.jpg

Edited by jcjames

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I use modified vodka boxes from costco.

I have about 15-20 of these boxes for my raw PC books, nearly all books are in mylite2 SA/GA + FBs.

Most of the typical long and short comicbook boxes are just not wide enough to keep the SA/GA mylites from scrapping the sides of the box while flipping through them.

20190618_114619-1.jpg

20190618_114543-1.jpg

cool I like the decorations where did you get them from. 

I am guessing they are mostly posters? or Stickers?

46 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

cool I like the decorations where did you get them from. 

I am guessing they are mostly posters? or Stickers?

The front pics are printed.

The side pics are cut from bargain "Avengers " back-to-school folders from Walmart. 

On 6/16/2019 at 1:43 PM, ComicFill said:

I've been collecting for 25 years and this always bothered me. I like my various runs isolated in their own boxes and often times a shorter series won't fill a box, or it will have plenty of empty space as I complete the run. I used to fill boxes with old novels. It worked pretty well, but they were heavy and they shifted around in the boxes.

Then one day I bought a big sheet of insulation styrofoam and cut it down to sheets that fit my comic boxes. It worked so perfectly I contacted a styrofoam manufacturer and had sheets produced. I'm now using around 250 sheets in my collection.

It's been such a good solution that I decided to produce a bunch of them and start sharing them with the comic collecting community. They are light-weight, sturdy, and provide even pressure to keep your comics upright and secure. 

If you're looking for the best solution i've found in 25 years you can check it out at comicfill.com

OptionC.jpg

I like this ...I think I'm going to try it. 

On 6/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, ComicFill said:

OptionC.jpg

:sick: ... Styrofoam is my kryptonite.  Hate the feel, the cutting sound, everything about it.  The lightweightness seems perfect as a divider, though. 

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

I use modified cardboard vodka boxes from costco.

AND... they don't give me a hernia lifting them, plus the fit on shelves easier. 

20190618_114619-1.jpg

20190618_114543-1.jpg

And they are tall enough for dividers that rise above the books.  Nice. 

Edited by Spidey 62

On 6/17/2019 at 2:07 PM, Dangercow said:

I use empty Funko Pop boxes, three different configurations to take up different volumes, they work perfectly, and contribute to the "genre" if you will.

What’s an empty Funko Pop box?

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

A Funko Pop box with the figure removed.

:whatthe: what kind of a SAVAGE removes a funko from its box lol 

Spoiler

btw I don't collect funko's just have like 4 of them though lol 

this has been a problem for me and probably every collector....I use old Shirts and roll them up....

But I've had an idea for a perfect invention for this exact problem in my head for years...I swear If I could ever meet someone or a company that invents things and Tell them my idea...I have absolutely no doubt my invention I've thought up in my head would instantly become A Regular item all collectors would use to in these situations

Unfortunately...My idea will almost certainly never see the light of day...but I'm telling you...Its perfect..