• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Annuals in 8.0 and better
1 1

78 posts in this topic

Hey guys, this is my first post. Been reading here for a little while.

After collecting haphazardly all kinds of things for some time, I've decided to try and concentrate on 1960's Marvel annuals in 8.0 or better after snagging Avengers annual #1 from Heritage in CGC 9.0 in one of their Sunday auctions for $135.00 total.

I've been watching ebay auctions and Heritage auctions and it seems these books are undervalued. I like the square bound way they're made. Covers are usually sweet too.

If anybody would comment on anything about annuals and their condition sensitivity and pricing, I would appreciate it. I'm still a little green

thanks, Scott Roberts

They are a good value. I picked up FF annual 1 several months ago. It had been on my radar a few years and the auction was low. Since it was cgc slabbed I jumped on it. 50% of guide! I have since seen copies sell at or near guide so just pays to be opportunistic. Strange tales annual 1 & 2 along w Spiderman 1 and FF1 will be your big annuals.

Welcome to the boards.

Annuals are fun, and something that I myself need to start picking up to complete my silver age runs.

The most affordable annual out there is also one of the most undervalued silver age marvel books: FF annual 1. ASM annual 1 is the one that will set you back the most $$. ASM annual 2 is one of my favorite books since it has Ditko working on Spiderman and Dr. Strange in the same issue.

Strange Tales annual 2 is a cool book too...and probably undervalued as well. Even if the Kirby Spiderman on the cover is goofy looking.

I've always thought those early Marvel annuals with the multi-color logos were awesome.

About seven in total - FF annuals 1 &2, ASM ann 1, Strange Tales ann 2, Millie the Model annuals 2,3 &5.

Did I miss any?

320px-Strange_Tales_Annual_Vol_1_2.jpg

Back in the day, the Annuals were clamored for, they always had topnotch creators on them and the stories were nearly always fantastic.

They got dumbed down in the '70's with all-reprint issues, then discontinued entirely, then rebooted with what were often inferior stories or art.

But Man! Did we look forward to them in the sixties. Always sold during the summer when you might have a bit of extra pocket money, and the time to sit back and relish the extra size package.

:cloud9:

Back in the day, the Annuals were clamored for, they always had topnotch creators on them and the stories were nearly always fantastic.

They got dumbed down in the '70's with all-reprint issues, then discontinued entirely, then rebooted with what were often inferior stories or art.

But Man! Did we look forward to them in the sixties. Always sold during the summer when you might have a bit of extra pocket money, and the time to sit back and relish the extra size package.

:cloud9:

Context thread.

:whistle:

Hey guys, this is my first post. Been reading here for a little while.

After collecting haphazardly all kinds of things for some time, I've decided to try and concentrate on 1960's Marvel annuals in 8.0 or better after snagging Avengers annual #1 from Heritage in CGC 9.0 in one of their Sunday auctions for $135.00 total.

I've been watching ebay auctions and Heritage auctions and it seems these books are undervalued. I like the square bound way they're made. Covers are usually sweet too.

If anybody would comment on anything about annuals and their condition sensitivity and pricing, I would appreciate it. I'm still a little green

thanks, Scott Roberts

Your supposed to wait to mention this after you've acquired them all. ;)

Annuals are awesome, especially these early colorful 60's ones.

When collecting, try to wait for ones that have that perfect squared-off left edge. Rounded spines on these thick books are often uneven and show a lot of white, which reduces their eye appeal.

Metro actually has an FF Annual #1 in 9.2 that has the perfect squared spine. I'm not promoting their goods, but it's a nice example of the way a nice Annual should look, at least to me. Check it out.

Good luck on your quest! I have three early Annuals and they're all awesome!

Dan

Along with the Giant Sized X-Men 1 annual. I would recommend these.

This one is getting hot, and is one of the most loved heroes. Can't go wrong if you get a good price.

asmannual1front001_zps3d99fe7c.jpg

This one is just tough to find. Very tough in higher grades.

strangetalesannual1front001_zpsccda3523.jpg

On 6/25/2014 at 10:17 PM, Foxtrot70 said:

...I picked up FF annual 1 several months ago. It had been on my radar a few years and the auction was low. Since it was cgc slabbed I jumped on it. 50% of guide! I....

I kinda freaked out when I read this. Then to realize it was posted in 2014 :bigsmile:

Times have changed! A FF Annual 1 CGC 8.5 copy went for $1,152 on CLink this week

IMHO this book should be on par with ASM Annual 1... it's slowly catching up in value...