• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- October 30-31, 2015

79 posts in this topic

It's such a shame WW is killing this con. I've had to stop going the past few years with this Thurs-Sat schedule. Not taking 2 days off to travel for a small con. I can't figure out what they're doing. How can it ever grow with 2 day cons or a Thurs-Sat schedule? So odd...

Things going against this show:

Cost of tables

Cost of hotel rooms

Availability of hotel rooms

Two day show

Friday/Saturday schedule

Few comic dealers

Other stuff to do in Austin (nightlife, football, ect)

Celebs canceling

Things going for this show:

Not much......

This used to be a really fun show, when there was a bunch of dealers there, but it's gotten thinner and thinner on comics, and now fills the empty booth space with time share's, and other flea market merch. I don't anticipate this show surviving much longer without a move to a different time of year, or another drastic change.

I'm sure that Wizard will keep putting it on, but there won't be any comic buyers or comic dealers in attendance. I've said it before, this used to be my second favorite con trip of the year after Chicago. When we started going to cons again in 2009 or so after a long hiatus this was the show I started with, and it was great. When you could shop Bedrock, Black Cat, Graham Crackers, Worldwide, Duncanville, and a bunch of smaller but still quality dealers at this show, plus get to enjoy Austin, it was a really good time. Now I wouldn't want to waste my weekend to go for free.

WW Austin is on the tour for Zeck, Shooter, and Beatty to celebrate 30th Ann of secret wars. I will definitely be there for that. Met Zeck at SDCC this year and he was a super nice guy. Hopefully, I can get a non-sdcc price on a commission from him at the con.

And I have a good friend who works at Action Lab Entertainment and he says they decided at SDCC to do every wizard show this year, so hopefully will get to see him there. Looks like I'm in for both days

Any CGC SS witnesses going to be there?

CGC is going to be there, so anyone could get a book done. If you'll be there you can just get a witness and do one.

Surprised they are there. Are they just doing all the Wizard shows?

Any CGC SS witnesses going to be there?

CGC is going to be there, so anyone could get a book done. If you'll be there you can just get a witness and do one.

Surprised they are there. Are they just doing all the Wizard shows?

I think so.

Half price Friday Tix went up on Living Social today.

At Alamo City last weekend, not a single dealer I talked to is setting up at Wizard. A little worried about what it is going to look like for a comics fan.

Half price Friday Tix went up on Living Social today.

At Alamo City last weekend, not a single dealer I talked to is setting up at Wizard. A little worried about what it is going to look like for a comics fan.

Last I heard Black Cat was setting up, and he always has great stuff. Not sure about anyone else.

With Nashville scheduled for the first week in November, it will be interesting to see how they schedule this show in 2016. Step one would be getting it back to three days.

I'm not sure how long their contract with the convention center is, but I would expect them to kill or move this show to a different location once the current contract is up. Austin in October for 2 days is not a great idea with ACL now going 2 weekends and Halloween in the mix.

Ive always wanted to visit Austin. Ive got connections with tons of TX geeks.

You ought to think about maybe a three day visit over a nice weekend, maybe with a few thousand friends and several to many vintage comic books. hm

They need to reroute it away from ACL and UT football…move it to August or June.

I can't imagine them moving it away from fall semester. The timing has been roughly the same on this show since its inception, and they'd be foolish to hold it when the university isn't in session and all those potential customers are out of Austin. Plus the weather in June would be terrible, much too hot and humid. I definitely prefer October to June. They just need to fix the asinine two-day scheduling.

Six months away. Wish I still looked forward to this one. :P

completely agree -- october is the best month, but there is a ton of competition in oct just because it's the best month. If they were going to move it, they would have to move it to march or april and that bumps into too many other shows, I think.

The show was a lot better about 10 years ago when it was in arlington. As much as I love the convenience of Austin, it's now mostly a one day show for me unless there is an artist there i really want a commission from, then it's a two day show just so I can pick up things.

I'm also expecting fewer dealers this year that will travel in for the show. Most of the ones I talked with last year were saying they didn't think they would be back this year. And even the regional ones like Duncanville have stopped doing wizard.

This show has just gotten so disappointing for me. The guests are always rinse wash repeat and usually turns into a one day show as long as I can get commissions on day one. Last year turned into a single day convention simply to get signatures for Undertaker, and to pick up commissions from Noto and maybe a total of 2 other artists. The best part about last year was getting to drop off books from Alamo City Comic Con simply to save on the shipping costs. Most likely going to skip this year as I'm starting to hate the almost Flea Market feel this show is starting to have.

Its sad when I start looking more forward to attending a smaller hotel 2 day show than something that should be a huge event. Figure October has Mondo Con in the beginning, I'll head to NYCC the week after and then call it a season for me unless I choose to do Comikaze.

Look who cancelled again.

if anyone is going to this and submitting to CGC, i have a "free" modern submission ticket for sale (which makes it not free I suppose). Anyway lmk if interested...$12 paypal.

Hope the show is more successful than the Ft Lauderdale show.