• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROM the Spaceknight
2 2

249 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Awesome score; congrats! (worship)

Hey thanks, Readcomix

I was really happy to get them since I was striking out left, and right. Luckily I told a dealer that if he got a some ROM pages in to email me, and he remembered.

I was also able to pick up one of the ROM pages that was for sale on Ebay a few weeks back.

Spoiler

5aa72803c7e87_ROMSpaceknight75.thumb.png.7178ae32e01d41df1cb9e571af409e26.png

I was really happy to get it, since it shows one of the best scenes, and I just love the dialogue. Not to mention it being from the last issue, bit also penciled by Ditko.

21 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Hey thanks, Readcomix

I was really happy to get them since I was striking out left, and right. Luckily I told a dealer that if he got a some ROM pages in to email me, and he remembered.

I was also able to pick up one of the ROM pages that was for sale on Ebay a few weeks back.

Hide contents

5aa72803c7e87_ROMSpaceknight75.thumb.png.7178ae32e01d41df1cb9e571af409e26.png

I was really happy to get it, since it shows one of the best scenes, and I just love the dialogue. Not to mention it being from the last issue, bit also penciled by Ditko.

Holy carp, that's awesome! You must have spent a small fortune among the three, if that one Buscema page from Heritage was not an outlier. (I'm not asking; just adjusting my own sense of my pages from PM/IF 73. I am however asking if the dealer has anymore Ditko pages if it was in any way a relative bargain!) :wishluck:

4 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Holy carp, that's awesome! You must have spent a small fortune among the three, if that one Buscema page from Heritage was not an outlier. (I'm not asking; just adjusting my own sense of my pages from PM/IF 73. I am however asking if the dealer has anymore Ditko pages if it was in any way a relative bargain!) :wishluck:

Nope, they didn't cost  me as much as that heritage page went for which is why I was so surprised by the result. In fact I got the first two pages I posted in a group deal that cost me less from the dealer. The Ditko was from Ebay, and also went for much less than the Heritage result.

This was the other page on Ebay, but I didn't go after it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steve-Ditko-Original-Art-ROM-69-page-6-MARVEL-/122966095523?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zwUapu5gNLOOCVyyE6zx%2B11DkiE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

On 2/26/2018 at 5:05 PM, NoMan said:

Thanks for taking the time to give a learned response. Like I said, I want to get reading copies of the ROM run as I hear it's a good, solid fun read. I think Frank Miller did the art to eh cover of #1, no? could be wrong.

I'm thinking of scoring a Micronauts  1 (another fun read) CGC 9.8 and a ROM 1 CGC 9.8 and throwing them in the back of the closet just in case. I can't understand why the micronauts aren't more popular. As many have said, a film of them is only a matter of time. The ROM toy seems, um, a bit stale.

Again thank you for taking the time to respond to my question!

Not sure if you saw it or not, NoMan but it turns out the original art interiors to issue 1 was owned by Sal Buscema all this time and he just never sold them. Two groups were put up on his agent's site after page 2 from the first issue sold on eBay. I think they all sold already though.

17 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Not sure if you saw it or not, NoMan but it turns out the original art interiors to issue 1 was owned by Sal Buscema all this time and he just never sold them. Two groups were put up on his agent's site after page 2 from the first issue sold on eBay. I think they all sold already though.

Thanks. I briefly considered getting into OA but decided to lay down for a bit and thankfully the feeling passed. 

Edited by NoMan

On 5/27/2018 at 12:29 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

I take it he kept the page one splash?  I would have bid on/bought these had I known.  

15 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I take it he kept the page one splash?  I would have bid on/bought these had I known.  

That page wasn't offered as part of the ones put on sale. Out of the 19 pages only 11 or so were put up.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

With James Gunn getting fired and the belief that this means no Guardians of the Galaxy 3, does this also extend to the hope of a ROM movie? A --script was being made for it it seems, but nothing new has been heard for months. Gunn did say before that he did show interest in doing the movie so it's hard to say how much of the effort for a ROM movie was pushed by him and if it dies with him after his firing. Cosmic Marvel as a whole should be fine though with Thanos, however.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

8 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

With James Gunn getting fired and the belief that this means no Guardians of the Galaxy 3, does this also extend to the hope of a ROM movie? A ---script was being made for it it seems, but nothing new has been heard for months. Gunn did say before that he did show interest in doing the movie so it's hard to say how much of the effort for a ROM movie was pushed by him and if it dies with him after his firing. Cosmic Marvel as a whole should be fine though with Thanos, however.

ROM is not a Marvel property, it's owned by Hasbro and that movie is being developed at Paramount.  They are also making movies out of other Hasbro properties (Micronauts and new G.I. Joe movies) and if successful will likely tie them all into a shared Hasbro Universe.  Seriously.  On the GOTG front, James Gunn's firing will not stop Disney from making more GOTG movies, or from expanding the cosmic corner of the MCU.  They have a blueprint and will plug new writers or directors into that blueprint; how that affects perceived quality of those properties is something for consumers to decide but I don't for a second believe there won't be a GOTG3.

8 minutes ago, iganatz said:

ROM is not a Marvel property, it's owned by Hasbro and that movie is being developed at Paramount.  They are also making movies out of other Hasbro properties (Micronauts and new G.I. Joe movies) and if successful will likely tie them all into a shared Hasbro Universe.  Seriously.  On the GOTG front, James Gunn's firing will not stop Disney from making more GOTG movies, or from expanding the cosmic corner of the MCU.  They have a blueprint and will plug new writers or directors into that blueprint; how that affects perceived quality of those properties is something for consumers to decide but I don't for a second believe there won't be a GOTG3.

Has it been decided who owns the Dire Wraiths or are Marvel and Hasbro still in a legal battle over it? I don't really know how a ROM movie could be made without the characters and other things developed by Marvel since they are part of what made so many people like the series in the first place. It's also interesting to point out that for toy tie-in comic, that ROM was intertwined with the Marvel universe to a large extent.

1 minute ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Has it been decided who owns the Dire Wraiths or are Marvel and Hasbro still in a legal battle over it? I don't really know how a ROM movie could be made without the characters and other things developed by Marvel since they are part of what made so many people like the series in the first place. It's also interesting to point out that for toy tie-in comic, that ROM was intertwined with the Marvel universe to a large extent.

Good question, I don't know the answer to that one.  But Marvel never saw an outside property that they were unwilling to partner with in the 70's and 80's and often they would end up intertwining with the regular Marvel characters at some point.  Thanos appeared in Logan's Run.  Bug from the Micronauts joined the Guardians.  Daredevil and Ghost Rider showed up in the Human Fly.  On and on.  I'm not a lawyer but surely there were contracts that were created that determine which studios have the right to develop which properties based on the old agreements from Marvel's sad days in the 90s.  

I think I've read in the past that when Fox bought the Fantastic Four and X-Men rights, they also got all rights to specific characters which were developed into concrete characters within those books.  The only characters I've seen cross between other movie studios and Marvel have been Hulk, Spider-Man, and QuickSilver.  The first two have appeared in MCU movies due to explicit contractual agreements between Marvel and Universal and Sony respectively.  Sony loaned Spider-Man back to Marvel for a specific number of films (I think they own his movie rights forever). Universal loaned Hulk back, but only for movies in which he is not the main character.  Not sure how the QuickSilver deal worked between Fox and Marvel.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:21 PM, NoMan said:

on second thought, No to the speculation of buying 9.8s to those titles. Reading copies will be fine.

Why is speculating so irresistible?

+1

In my book, it's always better to be a comic book collector as opposed to being a graded label collector.  (thumbsu

It also definitely helps you in terms of your bank account. 

28 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

I was lucky enough to be able to work out a deal for two very nice pages from ROM #1, consecutive pages at that too! I had to sell a large amount of my collection and the deal took months to complete but I was able to finally get the pages in my hands yesterday.

Page 6 and page 7. These pages feature not only the first appearance of the Dire Wraiths in their human disguises but also ROM using his neutralizer for the first time to vanish them.

Reveal hidden contents

500047961_RomSpaceKnight1pg.6.thumb.png.03a67310d61cc434104a40df494999c5.png

Reveal hidden contents

656477371_RomSpaceKnight1pg.7.thumb.jpg.b923029a480dc82a53a253af244ab82f.jpg

:golfclap:

24 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Picked this up a little while back and figure I'd post it to give this thread a little bump. Comes complete with all parts and manual with working lights. 

Hide contents

20210423_044332.jpg

20210423_044410.jpg

20210423_044458.jpg

20210423_044510.jpg

Suh-weeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

How wonderful that the lights work & you’ve got the manual & accessories!! He looks to be in great shape. Good colors on the box too!

Terrific pick up!!!! I’d love to have one in my collection.

52 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Suh-weeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

How wonderful that the lights work & you’ve got the manual & accessories!! He looks to be in great shape. Good colors on the box too!

Terrific pick up!!!! I’d love to have one in my collection.

Thank you. I figured since I was such a fan of the comic and character that I should at least try to get the toy that started it all and glad I got it when I did.