• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROM the Spaceknight
2 2

249 posts in this topic

I've rereading the ROM series, and am almost done. Up to #68, and the last annual, and noticed that Brandy was a very inconsiderate character to the people around her.

She didn't even hide the fact that she loved ROM when in front of people, and didn't even have the decency to tell Rick their relationship was over, always stringing him along. Even after she confesses her love for ROM she still was technically Rick's fiance. Even after she becomes the new Starshine she still references Rick as her fiance even though its clear that she was never going to marry him, and was with ROM which always made me feel sorry for him.

It made it really weird that she then moves her attractions almost in a 180 to someone else after the big final battle with the Wraiths. I know they show her being said that ROM left, and saying she'll always love him, but in just the previous issue they show here being infatuated with Rick Jones in front of ROM, which made no sense since they had been writing her loving ROM since the beginning of the issue.

On a side not when Ditko drew the issues with the final battle, and all the Earth's hero's did he intentionally leave out some characters like Spiderman, because I noticed that he drew other ones like X-Men, and Captain America, but left his own known creations out.

Which, of course, is why this place is so great. There are so many unimpeachable participants . . . cd4ever, greggy, golddust, blue, Jeffreykli, moondog, october, flaming telepath, burntboy, ffb . . . I could go on and on - just happy to have the benefit of hearing from all of them. :cloud9:

I've rereading the ROM series, and am almost done. Up to #68, and the last annual, and noticed that Brandy was a very inconsiderate character to the people around her.

Do you find that the series kinda loses its way after the final battle with the dire wraiths in # 65?

I seem to remember the series just kinda wandering along for those last 10 issues, with little focus.

Do you find that the series kinda loses its way after the final battle with the dire wraiths in # 65?

I seem to remember the series just kinda wandering along for those last 10 issues, with little focus.

I'm doing spoilers in case anybody hasn't read it yet.

I think two issues weren't necessary after, and were more focused on learning a lesson, than adding to the main storyline.

I liked a lot of them after the "WorldMerge" story arc since I think they were meant to fill in some loose ends even though it also brought up some more. Like when they had the issue with the secret wars 2 tie in, where the Beyonder granted any thing Brandy, and Rick wanted, including the girl from the earlier issues which they "adopted". It was meant to tie up loose end, and further the plot, by curing Rick's cancer, getting the girl her dead parents back, and getting Brandy to Galador. Even though it tied up those loose ends, it raised a question of why Brandy didn't also go after her parents, and fiance who also could of been rescued like the girls parents, especially since by the dialogue she knows they' were there?

The issues that had ROM reassemble the Spaceknight Squad were good I thought, since it added to the depth of those characters, and showed how Wraiths were still on other planets. Not to mention it also made you more attached to the characters when they died in a blaze of glory in the final two issues where they fought against the new spaceknights. Though I guess that raises another question of how they were suppose to repopulate the planet since every human had been killed.

In all the first few issues were a little corny because of the dialogue, but the series got much better as a whole as it progressed with great arcs, like the Galactacus, and Sybil story arcs.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/ROM-1979/Issue-1?id=53147

Edited by DeadPoolJr.

I thought Marvel's ROM was one of the best books they published at the time. I wish I could say the same about IDW's monstrosity. I don't read Transformers, but I have to believe they have handled that property better since they've had the license so long.

I was a big fan of Micronauts too. I'm afraid to try that title after what they did to ROM. Anyone think the Micronauts title is worth getting?

So, what are everyone's favorite issue of the original ROM run? I'm fond of issue #43 where he regains his humanity. Powerful stuff.

Edited by rjrjr

I thought Marvel's ROM was one of the best books they published at the time. I wish I could say the same about IDW's monstrosity.

Good to know - on both accounts. I started to read #1 (original series) and it began well, but I got distracted and didn't get back to it.

I thought Marvel's ROM was one of the best books they published at the time. I wish I could say the same about IDW's monstrosity.

Good to know - on both accounts. I started to read #1 (original series) and it began well, but I got distracted and didn't get back to it.

Yeah, I've got #0-2 but will make sure I read them before buying any more.

Yeah, I've got #0-2 but will make sure I read them before buying any more.

This.

Hugely disappointed in IDW's effort. Coupled with the obscene amount of variant covers, I'm stopping at #2. I believe they underestimated the fans (mine) attachment to Galador and everything else associated with ROM....

I'm currently reading Rom for the first time, as I had only read issues like the X-Men crossover issues in the past. For anyone doing the same, you will probably want to get Power Man and Iron Fist #73, as well, as the issue ties in with Rom #23.

Really enjoying the book so far, great stuff and I like how they didn't overdo the super hero crossovers too much in the early issues, but it was firmly established that Rom was in the Marvel Universe.