• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROM the Spaceknight
2 2

249 posts in this topic

Hulk 296

Power Man & Iron Fist 73

Marvel Two-In-One 99

The Dire Wraiths appeared in Avengers, Fantastic Four and X-men as villains. Also, Rom appeared as a headshot on the cover of Avengers West Coast limited series #1. I think that just about covers everything...

Thanks!

Hulk 296

Power Man & Iron Fist 73

Marvel Two-In-One 99

The Dire Wraiths appeared in Avengers, Fantastic Four and X-men as villains. Also, Rom appeared as a headshot on the cover of Avengers West Coast limited series #1. I think that just about covers everything...

Thanks!

I found this also. http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/Rom/comic/checklist.shtml

I just realized I didn't post this here.

I was lucky enough to win the unused cover to ROM SpaceKnight #1 in the last Heritage auction. I had to choose between this, and a page to Moore's Swamp Thing run, but I think it was worth it.

Cz0ihC04_2908160945051gpadd.jpg

While I always appreciated the ROM mythology, I believe it was hampered by the bad Al Milgrom art. Had the series been drawn by Golden or Byrne/Austin, I think it would still carry some gravitas. rantrant

I was lucky enough to win the unused cover to ROM SpaceKnight #1 in the last Heritage auction. I had to choose between this, and a page to Moore's Swamp Thing run, but I think it was worth it.

Really cool. After seeing that Hannigan cover and knowing how the final Miller version came out, you can see Miller pretty much mailed it in. Good stuff.

While I always appreciated the ROM mythology, I believe it was hampered by the bad Al Milgrom art. Had the series been drawn by Golden or Byrne/Austin, I think it would still carry some gravitas. rantrant

Not sure if art would have helped

Golden micronauts are nice but not heavily collected

I think big bulky robots just don't garner a ton of interest outside those that grew up at the start.

I do have a sweet long box of Rom I am going through

comicdey said:
midnighttodawn said:
DeadPoolJr. said:

I think big bulky robots just don't garner a ton of interest outside those that grew up at the start.

I would of liked to see Greg LaRocque, Ricardo Villamonte draw a few issues of him. After seeing their pencil, and ink work on him in Power Man and Iron Fist #73 I thought it was really sharp, and really complemented ROM.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

I would of liked to see Greg LaRocque, Ricardo Villamonte draw a few issues of him. After seeing their pencil, and ink work on him in Power Man and Iron Fist #73 I thought is was really sharp, and really complemented ROM.

The interior was drawn by Sal Buscema.

When I sold off the bulk of my bronze era books I kept the Rom run from #1 to about #25 for reading. Love it.

One crossover that I never see listed is New Warriors #73, in which Rom makes a one-panel cameo in a flashback of the original Torpedo's life and death. I do believe that it is his last Marvel appearance and his last appearance in his armor until the new IDW series came out.

Here is a link to the original art to that page: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1339807

Edited by MichaelBrowning

One crossover that I never see listed is New Warriors #73, in which Rom makes a one-panel cameo in a flashback of the original Torpedo's life and death. I do believe that it is his last Marvel appearance and his last appearance in his armor until the new IDW series came out.

Here is a link to the original art to that page: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1339807

Thanks for that. Nice to see that ROM was acknowledged. When I think of Marvel in the early 80s, I always think of this character (technically the title started in 1979, but the Spaceknight was part of the zeitgist of the 80s).

The Dire Wraiths as a name pre-date Marvel, having been referenced (for example) in the original ROM TV ads (see YouTube).

I suspect that Marvel's claim will revolve around the idea that the Dire Wraiths as depicted in the new IDW/Hasbro efforts are too derivative of the independent IP and backstory developed by Marvel.

So let's brighten the mood today. These showed up and are now added to my registry. I've been on the hunt for these slabs for a few years now, glad to finally find and acquire. Big photos!

MattP

20161014_104148_zpscl1hsvft.jpg

20161014_104155_zps8j4joeos.jpg

20161014_104202_zpsgc2n1j9t.jpg

So let's brighten the mood today. These showed up and are now added to my registry. I've been on the hunt for these slabs for a few years now, glad to finally find and acquire. Big photos!

MattP

20161014_104148_zpscl1hsvft.jpg

20161014_104155_zps8j4joeos.jpg

20161014_104202_zpsgc2n1j9t.jpg

Congrats, I would think with the black edges that the 51 is especially impressive.