• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

Not a rumor, it was optioned by 20th Century Fox.

I wasn't speaking about this book specifically or exclusively when I said what I said about cash and rumors, but anyway.

So what is the line then? People like things to actually happen on a timetable that they can benefit from? The truth is no one writing any of this stuff really knows, it's all gambling. A little information coupled with a lot of feelings.

See post above yours.

I have no idea what your original point is at this stage of the conversation.

I wasn't speaking about this book specifically or exclusively when I said what I said about cash and rumors, but anyway.

So what is the line then? People like things to actually happen on a timetable that they can benefit from? The truth is no one writing any of this stuff really knows, it's all gambling. A little information coupled with a lot of feelings.

See post above yours.

Happy New Year.

See post above yours.

Happy New Year.

Thanks for adding so substantially to the discussion lol

What's that have to do with anything? Lots of comic properties optioned that never move forward. Are the creators coming out and saying there is big news coming on them?

People just want honesty. We don't have the information that the creators have. It's very rare that you hear a creator come out and say something is dead and 'm not sure why.

What's that have to do with anything? Lots of comic properties optioned that never move forward. Are the creators coming out and saying there is big news coming on them?

People just want honesty. We don't have the information that the creators have. It's very rare that you hear a creator come out and say something is dead and 'm not sure why.

Have there been lies? I agree that people shouldn't lie, creators especially - it can ruin their reputation and rightly so.

For the record, I don't consider a creator withholding information as lying, often it's just business, this is a world of NDAs and slim probabilities.

Whether or not something is dead is a whole other matter I guess. I think it's also nebulous, in many of these licensing deals, the rights are retained for a long time, or their return has to be triggered by something... something happening or not happening. I think in black and white cases, when something is dead, it'd be nice to know about it, but I wonder how often it's black and white.

They have time limits on options.

The Enormous team is notorious for coming on here and social media and stating "big news is coming".

1. Why do you have to make an announcement for big news? Why not just release the news?

2. Big news in comics means an option or advancement on an option. Like it or not, that's the environment that has been created.

They have time limits on options.

The Enormous team is notorious for coming on here and social media and stating "big news is coming".

1. Why do you have to make an announcement for big news? Why not just release the news?

2. Big news in comics means an option or advancement on an option. Like it or not, that's the environment that has been created.

I disagree with you on #2 concerning what 'big news' means, but Tim should start to take your view into account when he says things on these boards and elsewhere because, like it or not, that is the kind of environment that comic books live in now. People have their own expectations, and when they're not met, they feel personally burned - like I stated previously.

In a few years that will change, but he is correct that's exactly what the current expectation is whether we like it or not.

Yeah, but what we're really talking about here is managing expectations. Language matters, we should all agree on that, and 'Big News' means 'Big News' - but people of course can jump to one or two go to explanations for what that means, and in this environment, you're both right, people jump to film or television. It's logical.

It doesn't make it correct, but it does mean that creators like Tim should couch things better. Or, probably best for him (but a sad state of affairs at the same time), he should stop posting here about such things... because of my repeated assertions that people take these things so personally and read whatever they want to read in to them, and then get upset when it doesn't go in a specific direction.

Is it even remotely possible in the land of Oz you are speaking from that the creator might be under a NDA and can't disclose information at this time yet he wants to give us a tiny heads up???? I know shocking isn't it.

So is there a reason many of the admins at cbsi (especially the main admin, Trey) are crapping all over Tim and Enormous? There's an article posted on their google+ group with the news for this book in 2017 and they all say to ignore the book, it's a dead spec and that Tim is only pumping up his own book like he always does.

This isn't the first time I've seen them dogging Tim and his series. Is there a reason?

They probably bought into it too late after everyone else made their money from issues 1-3, bought high on the first issues, went heavy on the rest and can't sell them.

From what i seen he hypes things in the works for his fans. Nothing wrong with that as long as they are actual things in the works, its a great thing for everyone. Companies or people who hype things that have no chance of ever happening are the ones i cant stand. Tims word for the most part has lead right into what he hinted at.

People like things that actually happen. How's that TV series coming? I haven't seen any previews for it.

Todd The Ugliest Kid On Earth hasn't done anything in 3 years, not a new issue, not the tv show, nothing. Yet the prices of 9.8 slabs still haven't hit the basement

Ken was for a while, God bless him because he tried to keep it going

Is it even remotely possible in the land of Oz you are speaking from that the creator might be under a NDA and can't disclose information at this time yet he wants to give us a tiny heads up???? I know shocking isn't it.

Right, I'm sure the 100 or so optioned comics are all under an agreement still.

If the option is still valid where is the beef? The public doesn't know everything going on behind the scenes and since its not our "intellectual property" its kinda a moot point.

If the option is still valid where is the beef? The public doesn't know everything going on behind the scenes and since its not our "intellectual property" its kinda a moot point.

Good points. Sometimes loose lips sink ships

As I previously stated, even with my very little, absolutely not 'insider knowledge' - option rights can last a long time or a little time, but most that I've read about certainly last longer than one year.

One of the behaviors on this board that irks me is people expecting things to happen on a timeline that suits them, but it just doesn't work that way. Most of these things go belly up, and when they don't go belly up, who knows, they may be years in the making.

so, I'm just trying to understand this "conversation". Are people expecting creators to divulge any and all info on upcoming projects for the sake of speculation (and genuine anticipation)? or am i reading this wrong?

I'm glad Tim came to the boards and started a conversation about his book(s) and it was exciting to spec and hunt down the books (my fav part of collecting) but to hold a creator to your own expectation of the future of any project is ignorant. From a business perspective he or anyone on a project would be stupid not to back and promote their work. But, no one guarantees anything in comics, and if you don't understand that then it's probably a good time to jump off of the speculation bandwagon.

And if I misread the context of the conversation, just pretend I said something smart and carry on. :whistle:

As I previously stated, even with my very little, absolutely not 'insider knowledge' - option rights can last a long time or a little time, but most that I've read about certainly last longer than one year.

One of the behaviors on this board that irks me is people expecting things to happen on a timeline that suits them, but it just doesn't work that way. Most of these things go belly up, and when they don't go belly up, who knows, they may be years in the making.

Of course I don't expect creators to come and ruin their opportunity. I would expect someone to keep cash in their pocket.

Options that actually move forward have announcements along the way. Preacher was very slow, IMO, in movement. It was optioned 2/ 2014. Then they have to start writing it and the pilot was ordered 12/2014. 10 months and that taking into consideration that Seth Rogan was involved who has plenty of other movies, acting and writing. It hit TV 5 / 2016. Over two years from the option.

Even though it was relatively slow, they still made announcements when they were working on it.

Enormous was optioned 2 / 2015. Has their been any news since then? When someone says "Big News" for a property that is optioned, you would think it would be about the TV show or movie. Not the fact that they are coming out with another story arc.

And, of course this is my opinion. I was simply stating my opinion as to the question that was posed as to why some people don't like Enormous anymore.

Edited by ygogolak

So is there a reason many of the admins at cbsi (especially the main admin, Trey) are crapping all over Tim and Enormous? There's an article posted on their google+ group with the news for this book in 2017 and they all say to ignore the book, it's a dead spec and that Tim is only pumping up his own book like he always does.

This isn't the first time I've seen them dogging Tim and his series. Is there a reason?

They probably bought into it too late after everyone else made their money from issues 1-3, bought high on the first issues, went heavy on the rest and can't sell them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enormous-1-Riley-Rossmo-cover-TV-SHOW-NM-Unread-/142225884890?hash=item211d52c6da:g:DGEAAOSw44BYN56k

Terrible price for that book, though it is probably the least desirable cover.

With sales like that it is definitely dead in the water right now, though honestly, I think their publisher hopping and renumbering have been worse than whatever anyone thinks Tim may have promised and failed to deliver on.