Losing my religion
2 2

529 posts in this topic

Rune   
  • 1,398 posts
Have you tried Midtown Comics?

Or Graham Cracker Comics?

Just trying to throw some names out that may help.

No, thanks - I'll do that (thumbs u

I did also just check the Census, seems like the real challenge is to get one of these 9.8 books :ohnoez:

Unavngivet_zpsr40jk31m.jpg

Whenever possible, I do like to get a cgc 9.8 book and a raw book, if I own the cover.

vaillant   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 19,311 posts
  • Kudos Thread

I see what you mean about MyComicshop: I am not so focused around variants, unless I like the cover better than the regular one, and if I do it’s not usually a "limited" variant so MyComicshop proved good for me.

Yes, buying NM is always a gamble, but the average from MyComicshop ranges between NM- (rarely VFNM) to NM+ so I am quite happy with the average, as I don’t care about CGC books but like them in great shape without spending unnecessary money. :)

Wow, shipping art is crazy costly… and… ehm, I don’t like Aqua! lol

Rune   
  • 1,398 posts

Wow, shipping art is crazy costly… and… ehm, I don’t like Aqua! lol

Yes, art often costs $100 per package when shipping plus $30 in expedition fee, when it arrives at the border, sigh (and Customs is not yet included).

Aqua?! :roflmao: Well, if you like Steampunk or Cyberpunk, maybe Leæther Strip (also from Denmark) is more interesting - I did enjoy his earlier works like this song, but it may be too hardcore if you're primarily into classical music ;)

(Leæther Strip is a one man band, he's an atheist and not necessarily fond of any religion, the lyrics may better be understood in this perspective)

And there's Lars Ulrich from Metallica, but I'm not a great fan of their music. More inspiration here:

http://www.ranker.com/list/bands-from-denmark/reference

PS. Hopefully not taking this thread too far astray and concerning cyberpunk/steampunk, the Matrix Trilogy movies featured music from Juno Reactor (not from Denmark ;) ) and their newest album "The Golden Sun of the Great East" is quite good. This first song is a tribute to one of my favorite movies, Blade Runner:

PS. Do not listen to the music above on anything less than a good pair of speakers or headphones ;)

Edited by Rune

vaillant   
  • 19,311 posts
  • Kudos Thread

Well, I never appreciated most of the cyberpunk movement (as labeled afterwards by writers and sf critics) and none of the "offsprings" of that kind of labeling. I mean, neither the novels, nor all the "literary" consideations around the phenomenon.

And to be honest, I don’t like Philip K. either, but I find his work paradigmatic and very interesting in the shift that happened in science fiction in the following decades. The only novel I liked from him is "Volcano 3", which has little to do with his leading poetic (it’s about computers and "artificial intelligence").

If I have to go by taste, I like either the earlier science fiction which still possessed the "sense of wonder", or the few examples of the more mature one from the 1960s when it is forced to deal with mature themes, but not when it becames presumptious or intellectually redundant.

Musically speaking, I like most of the post-punk and new wave which are at the roots of the pop/rock which I grew up fond of, but I don’t like Leæther Strip at all. :D

I have yet to learn how to listen classical music, or instrumental music, properly, having always been accustomed to "sung" music.

Juno Reactor sounds quite good, I just knew them by name.

Well, we are off-topic but that’s a freedom allowed as long as it’s a journal thread I guess, if the owner is OK with it. :)

Rune   
  • 1,398 posts

Well, I did like Gibson's Neuromancer, kind of strange no one made that movie... hm

Nightwing #28 has now been sent to the frame shop - actually more a factory that also helps framing art, but they had to order more museum glass (and mentioned that I'm their only customer using it :acclaim: ), so framing may take some weeks :taptaptap: But funny how much of a difference it makes to put things behind glass. OA simply looks so much better when framed.

I just used that trick on my old - and working - German Carl Zeiss microscope (from 1940 or 1950 I think) - so now it's no longer a microscope, it's art, right? lol

cid_7E8C82FFA0D74F828244BC22BBA06E90RunePc_zpsnd6vawsh.jpg

180320154693_zpsy4cpfx1j.jpg

Still have two other medical microscopes, Leica Wild M3Z and DMLS, so putting Zeiss behind glass got the wife off my back, sort of... :whistle: (Using such microscopes to check CGC books for damages may require some very strong nerves and is not recommended, because even the nicest 9.8 may contain a great number of microscopic damages that are impossible to see with the naked eye :fear: )

vaillant   
  • 19,311 posts
  • Kudos Thread

I like how tidy your place seems to be… at least where you keep art and microscopes… :D

I always loved microscopes, but my interests never turned me toward hard science of technics… being a graphic and typographic designer I might say my job and interest is at a crossroads between art and technics… :)

Rune   
  • 1,398 posts
I like how tidy your place seems to be… at least where you keep art and microscopes… :D

I always loved microscopes, but my interests never turned me toward hard science of technics… being a graphic and typographic designer I might say my job and interest is at a crossroads between art and technics… :)

Thanks, my wife is allergic to dust, it all helps ;) Nowadays the medical students use virtual microscopy, but I still have a few real specimens I sometimes check when preparing for classes - and the kids love to see for example how a fly really looks :grin:

New%20Fly-5b2.jpg

BTW, graphic and typographic designer sounds interesting, and maybe you collect or make OA too?

Also updated my CAF profile some days ago - so far 9 pieces, and it's not easy to find more, very few pieces interest me, sigh:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=102942

Did shortly consider this one today, it is a nice story, but I'm not really into panel pages, would like a piece with Galactus some day though...:

_574_zps69h084wg.jpg

And it's rather inexpensive too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHAT-IF-15-PG-4-1990-ORIGINAL-ARTGREG-CAPULLOGALACTUS-NOVAFRANKIE-RAYE-/111605029670

vaillant   
  • 19,311 posts
  • Kudos Thread

Are you a medical doctor or a biologist? I don’t think the use of the word "virtual" which entered in common language in the 1990s makes sense, as "virtual" means "potential", not "simulated", which is the way in which it is used.

The Capullo page is nice… I recall him on Quasar, and must pick some of the 1990s series issues. They were written by Mark Gruenwald, and some stories were nice. hm

I used to draw, but I always had a conflictual relationship with drawing, and I never considered to draw comics because they were important as an "hobby" to me.

I do not collect OA but I do have a Kirby page from the Fantastic Four (which I showed in the FF collecting thread). Bought in 1990. :)

3yf4x7th.jpg

vaillant   
  • 19,311 posts
  • Kudos Thread

P.S. And I prefer story pages a lot, compared to covers. I can’t tell why, but a cover is so "symbolic" for the story that I prefer the printed, final version. :)

I do love commissioned work, however, another piece I have – and that’s all – it’s this beautiful Dr. Strange portrait, by Colan and McLeod. I would love to frame it or something… it’s still in a folder, as I purchased it not too long ago.

JJ0aKXgl.jpg

Rune   
  • 1,398 posts

Really awesome pieces, congrats! :applause: They should be on CAF, if you're not already there?

Especially I like the Kirby page from FF #62 page 19 - it is simply breathtaking (I've always liked Blastaar (thumbs u ). Normally I am not the greatest fan of the King, but when he provides a lot of detail like in your page, no one can create a better FF atmosphere and story!

I do like panel pages, when they tell a good story and stimulate my thoughts and imagination (some seem too fragmented or do not show a lot of superheroes and so on, so the really good panel pages are very hard to find).

I'm a neuropsychologist and have a Ph.D. in neuroscience - it's not normal for neuropsychologists to teach general pathology microscopy to medical students, but some years ago a medical professor offered me the job and so far it has worked out fine (I have a few other positions, so it's not my fulltime occupation).

PS. It is called virtual microscopy, because stored images of specimens are accessed on the computer, more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_microscopy

vaillant   
  • 19,311 posts
  • Kudos Thread

I see… what does differentiate a neuropsychologist from a psychiatrist? I recall neurology and psychiatry were not separated until relatively recent times, at least in the italian university system.

I loved that piece because it’s from my favorite Fantastic Four period, and as you say the page is full of characters, and has the closest close-up of Blastaar you can find! :D

I have not enough art to show it… lol

About the microscopy: even in this case, I still consider the term "virtual" at least inaccurate, as it would mean that potentially it is what it’s called, but in fact it’s not. :)

Bird   
  • 7,063 posts
Really awesome pieces, congrats! :applause: They should be on CAF, if you're not already there?

Especially I like the Kirby page from FF #62 page 19 - it is simply breathtaking (I've always liked Blastaar (thumbs u ). Normally I am not the greatest fan of the King, but when he provides a lot of detail like in your page, no one can create a better FF atmosphere and story!

I do like panel pages, when they tell a good story and stimulate my thoughts and imagination (some seem too fragmented or do not show a lot of superheroes and so on, so the really good panel pages are very hard to find).

I'm a neuropsychologist and have a Ph.D. in neuroscience - it's not normal for neuropsychologists to teach general pathology microscopy to medical students, but some years ago a medical professor offered me the job and so far it has worked out fine (I have a few other positions, so it's not my fulltime occupation).

PS. It is called virtual microscopy, because stored images of specimens are accessed on the computer, more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_microscopy

HA! I too am a neuropsychologist, or at least I was for Kessler here in NJ before I left to work for the state. Now I am at a state psychiatric hospital but am considering activating my license for some private neuropsych practice now that the kids are a little older!

Small world!

Rune   
  • 1,398 posts

To become a neuropsychologist, first you need to study psychology, while you need to become a medical doctor before you can become a psychiatrist. Neuropsychology studies the connection between the brain, mind and behavior, for example how brain damage affects a person (there are many advanced tests to investigate cognitive functions like memory, perception, thinking, attention, language and more). A psychiatrist normally works with psychiatric diseases - like depression, ptsd, anxiety and more - and they are able to prescribe medication because they also are medical doctors.

But back to CAF - I don't think it is about how much art you've got, but what kind of art you've got :baiting: I believe your Kirby page is better than let's say 50 nice commissions or a 1000 convention sketches ;) (Ok, I know I'm baised, I greatly prefer published comic book art :facepalm: )

Still, FF #62 was the first appearance of Blastaar, truly amazing to see a page from that book!

Bird   
  • 7,063 posts

I agree with Rune Vaillant, you should post that on CAF. It is a great piece and if you don;t mind sharing, it is clearly worthy of CAF all by itself.

Rune   
  • 1,398 posts

HA! I too am a neuropsychologist, or at least I was for Kessler here in NJ before I left to work for the state. Now I am at a state psychiatric hospital but am considering activating my license for some private neuropsych practice now that the kids are a little older!

Small world!

Great! :hi: Somehow I'd be surprised if there are more neuropsychologists in here lol

Maybe it's all because I read too much Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Conan, Dredd, Eerie, Creepy and so on when I was young hm (there's a lot of pathology in those books!) Or maybe those personality traits were already there and caused me to select those books hm

Still amazing to meet colleagues in here!

Bird   
  • 7,063 posts
Great! :hi: Somehow I'd be surprised if there are more neuropsychologists in here lol

Maybe it's all because I read too much Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Conan, Dredd, Eerie, Creepy and so on when I was young hm Or maybe those personality traits were already there and caused me to select those books hm

Yes, :hi: . I was actually a but stunned that there was another besides me, although as I said I don't do much neuropsych work these days other than correcting misperceptions about TBIs at work. Neuropsychology was so rewarding and I loved the work but I crave security and the state gives me that.

It wasn't comics for me but the Grateful Dead who lead me to neuropsychology! I toured instead of going to school too much in the second semester of freshman year and ruined my chances at medical school. (Biology 2, Chem 2, Botany 1, Calculus 2....16 credits and grades of C, D, F, F! 0.75 gpa for the semester. Goodbye Pre-Med, hello Psychology!)

take care Rune and keep up the good work!

Rune   
  • 1,398 posts

Maybe it's all because I read too much Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Conan, Dredd, Eerie, Creepy and so on when I was young hm Or maybe those personality traits were already there and caused me to select those books hm

Yes, :hi: . I was actually a but stunned that there was another besides me, although as I said I don't do much neuropsych work these days other than correcting misperceptions about TBIs at work. Neuropsychology was so rewarding and I loved the work but I crave security and the state gives me that.

It wasn't comics for me but the Grateful Dead who lead me to neuropsychology! I toured instead of going to school too much in the second semester of freshman year and ruined my chances at medical school. (Biology 2, Chem 2, Botany 1, Calculus 2....16 credits and grades of C, D, F, F! 0.75 gpa for the semester. Goodbye Pre-Med, hello Psychology!)

take care Rune and keep up the good work!

Thank you and take care too, Sean (if your CAF name is correct ;) BTW, your art collection is simply amazing!). Still very interesting: I'm from Denmark, and at the university it was actually harder to become a student of psychology than a medical student (at least when I started in 1992). In Denmark you get paid from the State/Government to study, but there is a very limited number of student admissions. Every year the university enlists the students with the highest grades first, until all seats are taken, and here you need more or less straight A's to become a psychologist but can always become a medical doctor if you slept a bit during high school classes :grin:

Edited by Rune

vaillant   
  • 19,311 posts
  • Kudos Thread

The things you say are interesting, and glad I made you two meet on this! lol

I am still pretty wary about modern psychology, especially when dealing with non-organic causes or symptoms – what you say is particularly interesting because from your description your work seem far more interesting and accurate than what is often the work of the psychiatrist.

The two things are obviously related, but to me a good deal of "psychological" problems ended up being treated as brain patologies, i.e. real illnesses, while in most cases this is a misinterpretation of the situation as a whole.

I have no experience at all, but I witnessed first hand the uselessness of psychology when applied on its own and I still find problematic the paradigm running across it and medicine up to these days. hm

vaillant   
  • 19,311 posts
  • Kudos Thread
Thank you and take care too, Sean (if your CAF name is correct ;) BTW, your art collection is simply amazing!).

Yup, he’s Sean, and pretty awesome at that, for that matter. :D

So you both say I should open a CAF account just to display two art pieces (and som, very few, italian)?