• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quasar 32/#1 Variants/Errors

44 posts in this topic

Quasar 32... So this book is probably considered modern, but its in the fringe area people like to argue about copper vs. modern and this is the best forum to ask these questions, so here it is.

Quasar 32 is the first app of Korath and its a minor key book in my mind. Nothing spectacular, but well above a common issue. This run of Quasar 32-34 is an operation Galactic Storm Crossover.

These books also has a Newstand editions that are numbered 1,2 and 3. I'm pretty sure they were errors and not meant to be that way. Every Newstand edition I have seen is marked # 1 and every Direct edition I have ever seen is marked # 32... until today. I was flipping through a 50cent bin and came across a Direct edtion ( with spidey swinging ) no UPC, Quasar # 32 marked as # 1.

So my question is, does anyone here know the full story about these books? RMA? anyone? I have no clue.

While I can see it being meant to show # 1, I still beleive it was an error. Im thinking the people working on Marvel WIKI didnt know what to do with it, and listed it differently. Better that than guess.. or even admit to an error! Even it is was meant to be that way... I dont get it. Its a book in the middle of a crossover event... would be hard to pick up and read alone.

Edited by Silverdream

You may change your mind about it being an error when you look at this link. http://marvel.wikia.com/Quasar_Special_Vol_1_2 :whistle:

Even more so after this link. http://marvel.wikia.com/Quasar_Special_Vol_1_3

Just don't expect me to be able to explain why they did these. :tonofbricks:

You may change your mind about it being an error when you look at this link. http://marvel.wikia.com/Quasar_Special_Vol_1_2 :whistle:

As I stated in my OP, all issues 32-34 have different issue numbers for newstand editions.

After looking at the links you provided, I just see these as some guy in charge of the marvel wiki trying to figure out what to do with them. They were never special editions, they were on all newstands editions numbered this way. Just as issue 31 and 35 have newstand editions, but numbered correctly.

The only thing that would make sense would be intentionally numbering them 1-3 to try and gain sales. That just opens up more questions however. Why only these issues of Quasar and no other marvel books from these months? Why would they do this in the middle of a crossover story that was sure to confuse any readers picking this up as a number 1?

I still think they are errors, which seems odd for 3 seperate printings ( 3 different issues). I just think someone in charge confused the three issues of Quasar involved in Operation Galactic Storm as part 1, 2, and 3 ( Of the 3 issues Quasar was involved in the crossover.) If that makes sense. I realize Galactic storm part 3 was Quasar 32, but Quasar 32 for the editors of the book was part 1 of their involvment of Galactic Storm.... make sense?

Edited by Silverdream

This is what someone on the Marvel Masterworks forum had to say about it and it makes as much sense as any other explanation to me.

"At the time of Operation Galactic Storm, nearly all of the titles were available on the newsstand. Quasar, however, was not. So Marvel put out the OGS issues of Quasar for the newsstand. Presumably to make them more attractive to the newsstand retailers, they wanted to number the issues starting with #1 instead of #32. So they marked the newsstand version as #1 and called it "Quasar Special" or some such in the solicits for the returnable market. I don't know if the indicia was different between the two versions or not, it's entirely possible that they were the same. (I got my copies from the direct market at the time.)"

This is what someone on the Marvel Masterworks forum had to say about it and it makes as much sense as any other explanation to me.

"At the time of Operation Galactic Storm, nearly all of the titles were available on the newsstand. Quasar, however, was not. So Marvel put out the OGS issues of Quasar for the newsstand. Presumably to make them more attractive to the newsstand retailers, they wanted to number the issues starting with #1 instead of #32. So they marked the newsstand version as #1 and called it "Quasar Special" or some such in the solicits for the returnable market. I don't know if the indicia was different between the two versions or not, it's entirely possible that they were the same. (I got my copies from the direct market at the time.)"

Sounds like a reasonable explanation actually. Almost makes me put a foot in my mouth. Hmm. So a newstand copy in existance of Quasar 30-31 would destroy this explanation basically, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUASAR-Vol-1-No-35-Date-06-1992-MARVEL-Comics-With-Bar-Code-Cover-/330728178720?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item4d00ef8420&nma=true&si=oJMYb2sh%252Bm98XUyXwq9%252FJ505LGc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 Here is a copy of 35 newstand numbered properly, doesnt help much here tho.

They aren't errors...at least, not technically.

Several Marvel books during this 1991-92 period were Direct-only titles, including Quasar.

Another example is Doctor Strange #28, which was a Direct-only title at the time, and crossed over with Ghost Rider, which was not.

$_57.JPG

What they did instead was to print a "Doctor Strange/Ghost Rider Special #1" and release THAT to the newsstand:

$(KGrHqV,!iUF!scj,B95BQLnKz!+ig~~60_57.JPG

And to make matters MORE confusing, they also issued a DIRECT version of DS/GR Special #1 as well"

$_57.JPG

So, direct market buyers could buy both DS #28 AND DS/GR Special #1, while newsstand readers could only buy DS/GR Special #1.

Same thing with Quasar which was, at that point, a Direct-only title, but was crossing over with newsstand titles like Avengers. So newsstand readers didn't miss any part of the story, you have Quasar Special #1.

"But", you may object, "That copy of Doctor Strange as a UPC on it, and not standard artwork! That means it was newsstand, too!"

Not true.

Marvel was in the process of dropping Sparta and moving all their printing over to World Color, in Montreal. During this time, a lot of "errors" crept in, including Direct-only titles (like Alpha Flight and Doctor Strange) getting UPCs instead of artwork.

You will never see a "direct" edition of Doctor Strange #28, because they never printed any. You will also never see a "direct" edition of Alpha Flight #81...same reason.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation actually. Almost makes me put a foot in my mouth. Hmm. So a newstand copy in existance of Quasar 30-31 would destroy this explanation basically, right?

No.

Why is it #1, instead of #32? Because Quasar #32 already existed as a separate publication. And they couldn't just solicit "Quasar #32" to newsstand dealers, because it was a DIRECT ONLY title, and the #32 would have confused vendors. Because of mail restrictions, they couldn't just take a Direct only title and issue a random issue (or three) to the newsstand, just because they may have wanted to. Once you go Direct only, you can't go back (at least, not easily.)

So, they named it "Quasar Special", and since it was the first issue...they called it #1.

They *could* have named it "Quasar Special #32", but that would also have confused newsstand vendors who did NOT follow this type of stuff. A first issue of a title they were not carrying already made much more sense.

So I have a Direct edition of this Quasar Special # 1

Being that most direct order stores already had Qusar # 32 on a monthly order list, most probably did not bother ordering the Special # 1 direct, if they knew it was the same thing. Which would explain why Ive never seen it until today. Prolly a lot less floating around that the others. Ah well. So we have like 3 different books that have the first app of Korath? ugh.

Thanks for all the info guys, especially RMA. I guess the reason I didnt want to beleive it, was it made absolutely no sense. Note to self.... that doesnt matter with comics!

A humbled man I am!

Why is it #1, instead of #32? Because Quasar #32 already existed as a separate publication. And they couldn't just solicit "Quasar #32" to newsstand dealers, because it was a DIRECT ONLY title, and the #32 would have confused vendors. Because of mail restrictions, they couldn't just take a Direct only title and issue a random issue (or three) to the newsstand, just because they may have wanted to. Once you go Direct only, you can't go back (at least, not easily.)

So, they named it "Quasar Special", and since it was the first issue...they called it #1.

They *could* have named it "Quasar Special #32", but that would also have confused newsstand vendors who did NOT follow this type of stuff. A first issue of a title they were not carrying already made much more sense.

I'm assuming that Quasar Special is officially a reprint, do you know if that's accurate? I know it's listed as being issued on the same month as # 32.

I'm assuming that Quasar Special is officially a reprint, do you know if that's accurate? I know it's listed as being issued on the same month as # 32.

I don't believe it's a reprint. It came out at the same time.

I was reading Galactic Storm as it came out - all 19 parts :facepalm: - and my copy of Part 3 is the Quasar Special #1. I'm sure it came out the same day as Quasar #32, else it would have completely upset my reading order and I would have been forced to have stern words with my LCS.

For what it's worth, despite the fact that my copy is a #1 on the cover, the indicia lists it as Quasar #32, not Quasar Special #1.

Also for what it's worth, my copy has a picture in the UPC box instead of a bar code. I also was buying from an LCS when this came out. I suspect, therefore, that like the Doctor Strange & Ghost Rider #1, there may actually be three versions of this comic - Quasar #32, Quasar Special #1 direct edition, and Quasar Special #1 newsstand edition.

edit: I looked on ebay, and sure enough, there are both newsstand and direct versions of Quasar Special #1.

Edited by Crimebuster

Quasar 32 is the first app of Korath and its a minor key book in my mind. Nothing spectacular, but well above a common issue. This run of Quasar 32-34 is an operation Galactic Storm Crossover.

:gossip: FYI: Inhumans #11 (1975) is first app of Korath.

:gossip: FYI: Inhumans #11 (1975) is first app of Korath.

No it's not. Please do your research before posting.

Korath the Pursuer

Korath the Pursuer

Korath the Pursuer

Quasar #32 - 1st App.

Captain America #399 - 2nd App.

Avengers #346 - 3rd App.

Thor #446 - 4th App.

Not a reprint, no.

I don't believe it's a reprint. It came out at the same time.

I was reading Galactic Storm as it came out - all 19 parts :facepalm: - and my copy of Part 3 is the Quasar Special #1. I'm sure it came out the same day as Quasar #32, else it would have completely upset my reading order and I would have been forced to have stern words with my LCS.

For what it's worth, despite the fact that my copy is a #1 on the cover, the indicia lists it as Quasar #32, not Quasar Special #1.

Also for what it's worth, my copy has a picture in the UPC box instead of a bar code. I also was buying from an LCS when this came out. I suspect, therefore, that like the Doctor Strange & Ghost Rider #1, there may actually be three versions of this comic - Quasar #32, Quasar Special #1 direct edition, and Quasar Special #1 newsstand edition.

edit: I looked on ebay, and sure enough, there are both newsstand and direct versions of Quasar Special #1.

Correct. Marvel would not want a "different version" of this book not available to the Direct market, so they printed DM copies of the specials to go along with the newsstand versions.

I can see it now, though...

A generation later, and people will be trying to track down the "ultra rare" Direct versions of books like Alpha Flight #81 and Doctor Strange #28...concluding, erroneously, that they had to have existed at some point...without realizing that they never did.

At some point, I should put together a list of books that were only printed in UPC format.

Speaking of which...did any of you ever buy comics from a newsstand source that actually scanned the code? I never saw anyone scan the code, ever. Even today, I never see anyone scan the code, though it would certainly make sense to do so.

Never saw anyone scan the code in my life (a life which included buying from the newsstand).