• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

On 2017-11-09 at 3:38 AM, telerites said:

There is a lot of urban legend around the Batman/Green Hornet crossover during their run in the 60s.  Below is a little excerpt from a book about different TV tropes.   When you search for it, there are tons of stories and such.

There are also many stories where Bruce Lee during the shooting acted like he was really going to use his skills to kick Ward's behind since Ward had been bragging about how good he himself was at martial arts.  Lee didn't speak at all before the shooting and stayed very stoic and evidently really scared Ward into thinking he was going to be Robin, the Bloodied Blunder.  All of this is up to debate but I don't think there is any doubt Bruce Lee would have sent Ward home with a "who's your daddy now, pretty boy?" look.

As for Robin, I totally understand the reasoning for adding him with Bats but for me a dark, solitary Bats in the best.  Although the 50s Bats with the sci-fi and more oddballish stories with both Bats Robin are some of my favorites.   

By the way, did anyone know that Bruce Lee was considered for the role that David Carradine got in the "Kung Fu"Tv show.  That would have been pretty interesting with him in that role.

Robin is still a dweeb though lol

5a04134ba5a81_FireShotCapture141-3000FactsaboutTVShows-JamesEgan-Go_-https___books.google.com_books.jpg.2c177c965a0a66e016da0846345c007c.jpg

Could it/would it have ended any other way besides a draw?  No...if one or the other had won, fans of the loser would have been disappointed to the extent that viewership would likely have declined.  No one wants to be seen as supporting a loser.  Similar to the Superman/Flash races...it's the ever popular draw lol

Edited by pemart1966

25 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Could it/would it have ended any other way besides a draw?  No...if one or the other had won, fans of the loser would have been disappointed to the extent that viewership would likely have declined.  No one want to be seen as supporting a loser.  Similar to the Superman/Flash races...it's the ever popular draw lol

I think it had to end in a draw for the reasons stated above.

53 minutes ago, jgallo said:

Ages ago before the book blew up I sold a 1.0 married cover for like 7600, I had been trying for a number of years to get a keeper copy and I am happy with this one.

James G

cap1.jpg

You should be happy with that one!  A complete Captain America Comics #1!!  The cover presents extremely well for the grade.  I'm happy just looking at it, never mind owning it!! :cloud9:

5 hours ago, Riddler said:

My copy to join the club.... 

cap1.thumb.jpg.0f30f273321c4eecfb3c9facee33a819.jpg

See? This is a great example of where stabbing a book enhances its presentation. From this, the detached cover isn't too overwhelmingly noticeable and you get the whole visual of the FC.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:21 AM, jgallo said:

Ages ago before the book blew up I sold a 1.0 married cover for like 7600, I had been trying for a number of years to get a keeper copy and I am happy with this one.

James G

cap1.jpg

That is a thing of beauty!

-J.

9 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I doubt a complete coverless would go for $20K, likely half that. 

The last one on CC didnt even hit 10k so i think more in the 10-15k range.  That being said the buy in for any complete copy does seem to be around the 40-50k range regardless of condition or restoration.

James G

I've also taken into consideration that i think it is tougher to find a complete coverless copy than a complete copy and that it is the entry level for collectors so bidding will always be more since complete copies are out of reach for most.  In today's market, ANYTHING can happen.  And I agree with jgallo that a complete copy with supple pages is in that price range.  

Yeah I mean honestly it’s difficult to find a coverless complete copy of just about any mega grail. With that being said, my Superman 1 is at the top of coverless comics behind Action 1 and Tec 27, and even this only goes for around $14K-$15K. Cap 1 doesn’t compare to Superman 1 in any grade so it’s going to be closer to $10K likely. Anyway, not trying to diminish the book, I’d be happy with a Cap 1 in any condition lol