• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

the story is that me and another boardie bid up the cover to a strong price in the last few seconds on ebay.  it was attatched to a backing board.  Matt at CCS did a superb job of removing it. Every single experience that I've had with Matt has been golden.  One of my biggest regret collecting wise was selling a married Cap 1 cgc 1.0 for $8k or so in 2011 or so(pretty good eye appeal for a 1.0).  Paid a STRONG price for the cover but I have something to hunt for: a complete coverless.

Nice!  Didn't realize you grabbed that cover off of ebay for 17k.  Beauty of a cover.  congrats !

21 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

the story is that me and another boardie bid up the cover to a strong price in the last few seconds on ebay.  it was attatched to a backing board.  Matt at CCS did a superb job of removing it. Every single experience that I've had with Matt has been golden.  One of my biggest regret collecting wise was selling a married Cap 1 cgc 1.0 for $8k or so in 2011 or so(pretty good eye appeal for a 1.0).  Paid a STRONG price for the cover but I have something to hunt for: a complete coverless.

I remember that pasted cover on ebay.  I wouldn't have had the cajones to buy that one.  I assumed it couldn't be saved.  So I tip my hat to you!

What will a coverless copy set you back these days?  $10k $12k?

I seem to remember there's another Timely that has the same back cover.  I think it's Mystic #5, so keep your eye out for that one to get your back cover (double check with someone who has a raw copy and can check it).

52 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

A 7.5 for $257k and a 6.5 for $175?

You guys are crazy those are two very underwhelming results for this book.  The only question is whether or not it's because of a mini glut of blue label copies on the open market this year, or if it is indicative or ominous of something bigger.

-J.

And I think of a 7.5 selling for $40k just a handful of years ago and am super impressed with a quarter of a million 

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Considering that a 3.5 just sold for $120k in April, yeah those are some unimpressive numbers for a 6.5 and a 7.5 lol

-J.

I find that to be a crazy impressive number as well, but it is all relative...there is nothing "linear" about a 3.0 sale and a 6.5 sale...they are generally 2 different type of collectors at this price level 

anyone that doesn’t find 275k a fantastic result for a cap 1 in 7.5 just doesnt appreciate the sales history of the book and might be missing the big picture (imo)

Edited by G.A.tor

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I find that to be a crazy impressive number as well, but it is all relative...there is nothing "linear" about a 3.0 sale and a 6.5 sale...they are generally 2 different type of collectors at this price level 

anyone that doesn’t find 275k a fantastic result for a cap 1 in 7.5 just doesnt appreciate the sales history of the book and might be missing the big picture (imo)

Compared to the recent 3.5 for 120k in April, a 2.0 on Comiclink for 90k in March, 1.5 for 70k, last December...

The realized prices for these last two copies look like straight up poop to me, especially the 6.5 (although that one may have something to do with CGC putting a restored book into a blue holder and buyers not being too keen on that).  :sorry:

Maybe these two sales will end up being anomalies, they went for well below the 40k a point the book was pushing on average prior to these two low sales.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I agree with Rick ( hence the 2 copies sitting on CLINK exchange )  but I always felt it was under appreciated ( hence under valued ) for so long.  MCU or no MCU.  I had bigger hopes for the 2 above mentioned sales but it’s not surprising these days from what I’ve been seeing oublicakky with big books. 

What was the original print run on this big boy ?? 1,000,000 if memory serves ?  Existing copies —possibly 300-500 ??

Edited by Chicago Boy

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Compared to the recent 3.5 for 120k in April, a 2.0 on Comiclink for 90k in March, 1.5 for 70k, last December...

The realized prices for these last two copies look like straight up poop to me, especially the 6.5 (although that one may have something to do with CGC putting a restored book into a blue holder and buyers not being too keen on that).  :sorry:

Maybe these two sales will end up being anomalies, they went for well below the 40k a point the book was pushing on average prior to these two low sales.  

-J.

The 2.5 sold for 95K(thumbsu The entry level for super golden age keys .5--3.5 will command a higher FMV per price point. Perhaps in time with lower grades increasing rapidly; hence, the mid to higher grade will expand higher as well. 

Edited by showcase22gr1959

What's FMV for a 1.0 these days?

Based on those 3 recent low-grade sales quoted above, the price-per-point 1.0 equivalent comes out to $46k, $38k, and $35k. Is the $35-45k range realistic for a 1.0 or would it fetch closer to $50k? Obviously depends on the book/eye appeal, just looking for some sort of baseline. 

8 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

The 2.5 sold for 95K(thumbsu The entry level for super golden age keys .5--3.5 will command a higher FMV per price point. Perhaps in time with lower grades increasing rapidly; hence, the mid to higher grade will expand higher as well. 

Exactly. That’s why I say lower grade sales don’t lend to mid/upper as a “linear” relationship 

3 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

I might have agreed with this had an 8.0 not sold for $288k two and a half years ago.   ($36k a point, back then)

-J.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

not only with Cap1 but pretty much all the GA keys.

At the higher grades the numbers correlate more predictably with eye appeal.  The focus on structure at the upper end will mean that most 7.0s will tend to look slightly less perfect than most 7.5s or 8.0s.   

Not so at the lower grades, where a structural defect you may not even care about or even see in the slab can hammer a book that's otherwise very attractive, whereas another book might be structurally more sound but less appealing in the slab.   And below 2.0 the differences in both eye appeal and structure can be enormous from one book to another whilst the grade numbers are identical.

Edited by bluechip

26 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I might have agreed with this had an 8.0 not sold for $288k two and a half years ago.   ($36k a point, back then)

-J.

If you look at some of the other top GA keys the last five years:

Action 1, Detective Comics 27, Batman 1, Superman 1, Marvel Comics 1.

These books in .5--3.5 range has increased at a much higher rate that the mid to higher grade. Entry level copies "to own a copy" are in much higher demand and more affordable. Perhaps, the mid to higher grade will play catch-up once these entry level copies becomes more costly. Of course, these entry levels mega keys are not more affordable for everyone. ;)

The 5.5 in the CC auction went for $158k-  a noticeable improvement over what the re-constituted 6.5 blue label went for on Ebay in late June ($175k).

Perhaps, as someone mentioned earlier, the restoration notes on that 6.5 negatively impacted it a bit after all.

-J.

27 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The 5.5 in the CC auction went for $158k-  a noticeable improvement over what the re-constituted 6.5 blue label went for on Ebay in late June ($175k).

Perhaps, as someone mentioned earlier, the restoration notes on that 6.5 negatively impacted it a bit after all.

-J.

I’m a big fan of Cap 1 as you know. Heck , I think it should be the top Marvel book and #3 book in the hobby. Unfortunately the major steam it garnered over the last few years seems to be petering out.  I think it’s safe to say that it is not in the same discussion as Bats 1 anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I’m a big fan of Cap 1 as you know. Heck , I think it should be the top Marvel book and #3 book in the hobby. Unfortunately the major steam it garnered over the last few years seems to be petering out.  I think it’s safe to say that it is not in the same discussion as Bats 1 anymore. 

The weirdly low 7.5 sale on comiccoonect for $257k a couple months ago, followed by the (nearly) un-restored 6.5 on Ebay definitely didn't help anything.  That 7.5 should have hit $300k easy.  This 5.5 sale puts expectations back on track a bit.

-J.

40 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The weirdly low 7.5 sale on comiccoonect for $257k a couple months ago, followed by the (nearly) un-restored 6.5 on Ebay definitely didn't help anything.  That 7.5 should have hit $300k easy.  This 5.5 sale puts expectations back on track a bit.

-J.

I think its fruitless to try to develop some sort of linear argument on books in this 100+ range.  You develop a sense of the market and an approximation of what a book like that should sell for and you'll find some consistency in that range.  But there's probably 2-3 buyers of this book at that level at that time and thats way too small of a sample size to make a concrete argument.  I agree that its a book that was heating up and has found its footing as more copies have come to market.

11 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

This 5.5 had great colors and PQ = went for more.