• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2020 at 5:44 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thanks. It’s on iBooks and I just ordered it

I just bought one too! 

The only thing I ever purchased out of a comic was some coins from other countries in the early 70's. 

24 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

I just bought one too! 

The only thing I ever purchased out of a comic was some coins from other countries in the early 70's. 

I think I bought one of those 100 piece plastic Roman armies for a dollar. Man was I disappointed at the gap between the cool drawing and the crappy little thin plastic soldiers. :taptaptap:

18 hours ago, Primetime said:

Might be tough to contain Gotham Kid who has a Thor-like appearance :insane:

While we are on the topic of Thor...

Was Captain America Comics #1 the 1st mention of “Thor God of Thunder” in Timely/Marvel Comics history?

21 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

While we are on the topic of Thor...

Was Captain America Comics #1 the 1st mention of “Thor God of Thunder” in Timely/Marvel Comics history?

I hadn't noticed the reference.  I'll hafta go back and look now.  It could well be the first reference, and when Stan Lee came on board by Cap 3, he may have squirreled the idea away

12 minutes ago, Primetime said:

In the Hurricane story, yes I believe so. I checked all the early Mystics, Darings, and Marvel Mystery’s and couldn’t find anything. Weird Comics 1 (April, 1940 FOX) would have the first mention of Thor in any comic book I believe. 

And I think the first DC Thor is Boy Commados 7 (1944)

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

If it was indeed the 1st mention of Thor in Timely/Marvel Comics history, it’s just another reason why Cap #1 may be the No. 1 book of the Golden Age in terms of overall-package.

• 1st app. of Captain America

• Origin of Captain America

• 1st app. of the Red Skull

• 1st app. of Hitler (cover only) in Timely/Marvel Comics History

• 1st app. of Bucky Barnes (later to become the Winter Soldier)

• 1st mention of Thor “God of Thunder” in Timely/Marvel Comics History

• 2nd app. of Makkari (Mercury/Hurricane) of The Eternals

• Classic Jack Kirby Cover

Action Comics #1 is a more desirable book, for a number of different reasons. But I would argue that Cap #1 packs more content than any Golden Age comic book in history, maybe more than any comic book in history period.

F7463870-71C7-44DA-83F8-B2FFE2EB643A.jpeg

still behind :x Marvel Comics #1 for me. First mention of Thor doesn't make Cap 1 anymore appealing or significant for me :preach:

Edited by Primetime

6 minutes ago, Primetime said:

still behind :x Marvel Comics #1 for me. First mention of Thor doesn't make Cap 1 anymore appealing or significant for me :preach:

I’ve gone back and forth between the two a lot over the years. I was leaning towards Marvel #1 just a few weeks ago, now, I’m not so sure.

The 1st mention of Thor is just a minor tidbit. It’s the total package that’s so impressive.

3 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I’ve gone back and forth between the two a lot over the years. I was leaning towards Marvel #1 just a few weeks ago, now, I’m not so sure.

The 1st mention of Thor is just a minor tidbit. It’s the total package that’s so impressive.

Marvel 1 more important, Cap 1 more popular. 

10 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Marvel 1 more important, Cap 1 more popular. 

It depends on how you define importance. No doubt Cap #1 would have never existed without Marvel #1.

Marvel #1 is also the birth of the Marvel Universe. It makes for a compelling argument.

Very similar to comparing FF #1 to AF #15. From a comic book history standpoint, Marvel #1 and FF #1 are in a category of their own. But you could definitely argue Cap #1 and AF #15 are greater overall books.

No right or wrong answer here.

51 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

It depends on how you define importance. No doubt Cap #1 would have never existed without Marvel #1.

Marvel #1 is also the birth of the Marvel Universe. It makes for a compelling argument.

Very similar to comparing FF #1 to AF #15. From a comic book history standpoint, Marvel #1 and FF #1 are in a category of their own. But you could definitely argue Cap #1 and AF #15 are greater overall books.

No right or wrong answer here.

Marvel 1 has the most fascinating comic book history as far as distribution and publishing goes thanks to Goodman and Jacquet. That's cool to me. Most people don't care about those sort of details. While Subby and Torch are characters that made it into the silver age and beyond, I consider FF1 to be the birth of the Marvel Universe as we know it today. 

10 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Marvel 1 has the most fascinating comic book history as far as distribution and publishing goes thanks to Goodman and Jacquet. That's cool to me. Most people don't care about those sort of details. While Subby and Torch are characters that made it into the silver age and beyond, I consider FF1 to be the birth of the Marvel Universe as we know it today. 

It’s definitely not perfectly analogous, but pretty similar as far as comic book comparisons go IMO.

You’re not alone in finding the publishing/distribution interesting, I’m with you there.

What I like about the Marvel #1/FF #1 vs. Cap #1/AF #15 comparison is that compelling arguments could be made for either group, just for very different reasons.

37 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

It’s definitely not perfectly analogous, but pretty similar as far as comic book comparisons go IMO.

You’re not alone in finding the publishing/distribution interesting, I’m with you there.

What I like about the Marvel #1/FF #1 vs. Cap #1/AF #15 comparison is that compelling arguments could be made for either group, just for very different reasons.

interesting comparisons for sure.