• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@Comics181 That’s a great way to start back!

but I do not understand the CGC policy on trimming of these individual pages. First of all, your page doesn’t even look trimmed to begin with. Second, it would seem to me that ALL single pages had to have been trimmed one way or another in the process of removal from the book.  Isn’t any cutting of paper trimming?

for instance:

F9C0B4AA-628F-45EF-9A86-F0DAD47595B6.jpeg

I don't really understand it either but it really doesn't matter to me. I like to think the trimming was done by some kid trying to make the edges line up after they accidentally ripped the page out and put it back in.

Btw that page is beautiful!

18 hours ago, Comics181 said:

She may not be the prettiest or really anything special compared to any of the above books, but she's mine. Hope this counts. I think a good pick up to ease back in after a couple years of non-collecting.

CAC1.thumb.jpg.45373a90decb97b81526eeda97cbba34.jpg

It definitely counts. Great page with a lot of action. Congrats and welcome to the club!

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 2:34 AM, Comics181 said:

She may not be the prettiest or really anything special compared to any of the above books, but she's mine. Hope this counts. I think a good pick up to ease back in after a couple years of non-collecting.

Trimming is not Resto 1 day than it is the next goest to show.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:34 AM, Comics181 said:

Great page !  Trimming is NOT restoration CGC 🤫 

On 5/18/2020 at 5:14 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@Comics181 That’s a great way to start back!

but I do not understand the CGC policy on trimming of these individual pages. First of all, your page doesn’t even look trimmed to begin with. Second, it would seem to me that ALL single pages had to have been trimmed one way or another in the process of removal from the book.  Isn’t any cutting of paper considered trimming?

for instance, consider the below page. Clearly this page got cut out of a book. Yet, blue label

Even without the inconsistency, it is just inarguably incorrect to call something "restored" when a portion of it has been removed.   I've heard it defended as a means of saying the book has been "desecrated" but in the real world 'restored' and 'desecrated' are two entirely different words.

I could be convinced to go along with the logic of a micro-trimmed book being called "restored" if in fact it has created the false appearance of a book that has never acquired any wear on the edges.   

But a book which was cut to fit in a bound volume, or some kid's notebook or shoebox, has been clearly damaged and appears far worse than its original state.  Not in English, nor any other language I know of, do we call something like that restored.     

Doing so was incorrect when labeling complete books.   And to do so with single pages is even less correct.     But the policy goes to extremes I would never have anticipated when something is called "restored" because it was harshly and obviously trimmed by some kid or librarian 50 years ago, but pieces of a book that was recently and methodically taken apart and trimmed (to cut the wraps in half), are not.  

I've heard it said that this is done despite the illogic because that's the way it's been done up to now.   But perpetuating a mistake is never a good idea.   People in the hobby may get used to something illogical over time, but it undoubtedly plays a part in lessening confidence, to some degree. And every time a new person comes to the hobby, or considers coming into it, each little piece of the puzzle that doesn't quite makes sense is something that may give them pause.         

Edited by bluechip

6 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Even without the inconsistency, it is just inarguably incorrect to call something "restored" when a portion of it has been removed.   I've heard it defended as a means of saying the book has been "desecrated" but in the real world 'restored' and 'desecrated' are two entirely different words.

I could be convinced to go along with the logic of a micro-trimmed book being called "restored" if in fact it has created the false appearance of a book that has never acquired any wear on the edges.   

But a book which was cut to fit in a bound volume, or some kid's notebook or shoebox, has been clearly damaged and appears far worse than its original state.  Not in English, nor any other language I know of, do we call something like that restored.     

Doing so was incorrect when labeling complete books.   And to do so with single pages is even less correct.     But the policy goes to extremes I would never have anticipated when something is called "restored" because it was harshly and obviously trimmed by some kid or librarian 50 years ago, but pieces of a book that was recently and methodically taken apart and trimmed (to cut the wraps in half), are not.  

I've heard it said that this is done despite the illogic because that's the way it's been done up to now.   But perpetuating a mistake is never a good idea.   People in the hobby may get used to something illogical over time, but it undoubtedly plays a part in lessening confidence, to some degree. And every time a new person comes to the hobby, or considers coming into it, each little piece of the puzzle that doesn't quite makes sense is something that may give them pause.         

Yes. This !  Voldy differentiates. My guess is if CGC changed their policy fiscally people would be clamoring for free re slabs. ( hence this might be why they don’t change their stance )