• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bammoman said:

It's no full book, but couldn't be happier to finally join the club! And a thanks to one of our members for giving us a helping hand with these.. :headbang:

IMG_9588.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

Welcome to the club! Those pages look really sharp as far as loose pages go. The splash page is one of the best and The Hurricane story has some really cool background to it.

Jack Kirby’s 1st Timely work was on a character named “Mercury” in Red Raven Comics #1. That character, illustrated pretty much the same way, facing the same villain, was re-branded as “The Hurricane” in Cap #1 (his 2nd appearance). The Hurricane was “the son of Thor” and I’m pretty sure Cap #1 has the 1st mention of Thor “God of Thunder” on the splash page to The Hurricane story. 

So you’ve got quite the combo there.

8 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Welcome to the club! Those pages look really sharp as far as loose pages go. The splash page is one of the best and The Hurricane story has some really cool background to it.

Jack Kirby’s 1st Timely work was on a character named “Mercury” in Red Raven Comics #1. That character, illustrated pretty much the same way, facing the same villain, was re-branded as “The Hurricane” in Cap #1 (his 2nd appearance). The Hurricane was “the son of Thor” and I’m pretty sure Cap #1 has the 1st mention of Thor “God of Thunder” on the splash page to The Hurricane story. 

So you’ve got quite the combo there.

Thanks man, some real sweet insight there that I actually never knew much of!

I think the results for most of the golden age books that sold on CL was pretty solid.  Many think that CL only generates good SA and BA results and lower for GA books compared to the other two big venues, but this time I thought the consignors did well from the ones I was tracking.

Cap #1 CGC Universal 3.5 with OW-W pages is coming to Heritage Auctions.

LINK

0.5 Universal missing 4 center wraps sold for $39,500 in March.

2.5 Universal sold for $86,000 last week.

What are your predictions for this one?

6E14E2CD-B396-476C-BEFF-0856277F4496.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Cap #1 CGC Universal 3.5 with OW-W pages is coming to Heritage Auctions.

LINK

0.5 Universal missing 4 center wraps sold for $39,500 in March.

2.5 Universal sold for $86,000 last week.

What are your predictions for this one?

6E14E2CD-B396-476C-BEFF-0856277F4496.jpeg

This book was sitting on the heritage exchange with a BIN price of $110 k until it disappeared a few days ago. I thought $110k was an extremely reasonable price, given what the 2.5 did. I actually looked into it enough to see that Heritage doesn’t force the buyer to pay a fee the way they do at auction. Also, I bought the grader notes. But then it disappeared before I was done with the math. 

I had predicted $90 k for the 2.5. Very close.

I don’t think we are anywhere near understanding the effects of the Covid quarantine on our hobby, and why don’t we throw a little social unrest in there on top for good measure. Predictions. Every one has got one. 

For this 3.5, I predict $120k. 

I can’t help but wonder if seeing 2 low grade Cap #1’s sold since March will lead to a break for this one?

It shouldn’t. I’ve never been a fan of perception-based rarity. And this 3.5 is a really, really nice looking 3.5.

If a 0.5 was $39,500 and a 2.5 was $86,000, this 3.5 should be a $120,000-$150,000 book. It presents really well for the assigned grade.

But who knows? (shrug)

In the 2019 guide description of Captain America Comics #1, it includes a note that reads:

into of the "Capt. America Sentinels of Liberty Club" (advertised on inside front-c.)

I don't see any mention of it at all on the inside of the front cover. Am I missing something here?

5 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

In the 2019 guide description of Captain America Comics #1, it includes a note that reads:

into of the "Capt. America Sentinels of Liberty Club" (advertised on inside front-c.)

I don't see any mention of it at all on the inside of the front cover. Am I missing something here?

It’s been in error for many years. The club membership is mentioned at the end of the first Cap story. I have brought it to Bob’s attention in my past two market reports - sometimes he makes changes (like Cap 2 - 1st round shield) and other times no changes happen. 

Edited by Primetime

Anyone notice this 4.0 selling in the current c-link auction? Page quality isn't great, but presents relatively well except for the color being a bit faded. The worst part from what I can tell is a small chunk is missing from the front cover and every page, except the back cover on the top right. Honestly the 3.5 on Heritage appears to have better eye appeal on the front cover, and considerably better page quality. Will be interesting to see what these sell for comparatively.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26Focused%3D1%26ItemType%3D0%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.Title%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire3%3DDESC%23Item_1410873&id=1410873&itemType=0

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 11.53.19 PM.png

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Interesting, maybe the sale fell through and seller needed to get rid of quick for whatever reason. Or new owner decided to try for a quick flip.

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Interesting, maybe the sale fell through and seller needed to get rid of quick for whatever reason. Or new owner decided to try for a quick flip.

That’s a risky flip unless a reserve has been put down, and I see that there is, in fact, a reserve. Are reserves normal for Clink?

it was listed for a long while on ComicLink ( and the listing still stands )

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dcaptain%2Bamerica%2Bcomics%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1259099

Capture.thumb.JPG.2afd80f3dee2a4673a24a2898609bd04.JPG

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s a risky flip unless a reserve has been put down, and I see that there is, in fact, a reserve. Are reserves normal for Clink?

Ummm, I definitely wouldn’t say normal no. In the years I’ve been watching c-link auctions I’ve seen them, but very rarely.

Interesting. First Heritage took a Cap 1 off their exchange (“make offer to seller”) and put it into their regular auction. And now Clink has done the same. The part I don’t get is that Clink is saying they first sold the book a few days ago for $122k before it came out the other end into their current auction 

This copy on Comilink was my copy...I sold it through Hertage back in 2009 and it was originally a 3.5...now it's a 4.0. I can say that it's a solid book except for the bug chew on the top right. It came from an original owner collection that I picked up in 2001...wish I hadn't sold it...but oh well.

1 hour ago, geofan said:

This copy on Comilink was my copy...I sold it through Hertage back in 2009 and it was originally a 3.5...now it's a 4.0. I can say that it's a solid book except for the bug chew on the top right. It came from an original owner collection that I picked up in 2001...wish I hadn't sold it...but oh well.

Ain’t that the usual sentiment lol. Always sellers remorse when one of these mega keys was sold 5-10 years or more ago! Crazy how much these can change over time 🤯.

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

Someone buy the 0.5 on eBay 

Someone definitely will eventually. Too good of a low grade copy to pass up on. I’d probably jump on it if I wasn’t trying to complete my Tec 27.

Edited by LDarkseid1