• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

If it sold for $122,500 then, perhaps $130,000-$140,000 is the reserve now?

So here's what I don't get.  This Cap 1 (the 4.0) has been up for sale at Clink for quite a while with the high bid being 100K.  Then somehow it was sold on the other site for 122.5K (while still remaining on Clink)...but now it's immediately back on Clink at auction for current price of 95K with three remaining days and no reserve.  My question is, did it actually sell for 122.5 or is the seller just moving it across sites?  Or did someone buy it and immediately put it back up for sale hoping to get their $ back and putting the reserve at that amount (or slightly higher to mitigate the buyer premium)?  

This just seems odd to me because I've seen that same book on Clink for a long time at the fixed price (I think the outright asking price was like 180K but the highest offer was 100K without being accepted by the consigner).

If it didn't get any higher offers than 100K on Clink after such a long while, what is the method to the madness is what I'm asking...

Thoughts?

On 6/16/2020 at 10:05 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

Cap #1 CGC 4.0 on Comic Link:

LINK

With a 0.5 missing 4 wraps going for $39,500 and a 2.5 going for $86,000 you’ve got to think this will easily eclipse $100,000.

Predictions? :popcorn:

B075824B-0E2B-46BE-896B-812560A27698.jpeg

Up to 100K with just under 4 hours left.

I'm going to guess it will close for 115K-130K.

If it's closer to the former than the latter, someone will be getting a great bargain.

2.5 just sold for 86K recently.

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Up to 100K with just under 4 hours left.

I'm going to guess it will close for 115K-130K.

If it's closer to the former than the latter, someone will be getting a great bargain.

2.5 just sold for 86K recently.

I rarely see clink auctions jump at the end, but I’d like to see it happen tonight 

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It IS a good deal. I guess it was a combination of the rat chew and the page quality 

Rat chew lol.   I told my wife someone is dropping $100K on a comic that had bugs eat it so I wasn't far off

I’ll repost here from the Cap 1/Bat 1 thread:

I suspect the mice chew had a big affect on final price as well as this copy bouncing around without a permanent home leaving a friend to several dealers and auctions after. It was in a 3.5 holder for years. I can’t see the bump to a 4.0 with all the chew through the entire book. $135k+ would have kept it in price point line with the 2.5 that just sold for $86k. I think this selling for 3.0 money is perhaps on point. 

On 6/16/2020 at 10:51 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

I think the highest offer that 4.0 received when it was not up for auction was 100-101K and it wasn't accepted.  I'm agreeing with you that based on recent sales it should go higher, but I'm going to vote that it stays right around 100K and that's if it breaks the reserve (and whatever that is set at, who knows).

Called this on the nose about two weeks ago...:acclaim:

4 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

It goes right through. Thats a lot of paper loss.

The chew pattern makes me think it could be from the "rat-a-tat" pedigree.  Story has it a kitchen rat loved the way comics tasted but he also loved the art and story so he would only chew in the margins.    

Edited by bluechip

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

The chew pattern makes me think it could be from the "rat-a-tat" pedigree.  Story has it a kitchen rat loved the way comics tasted but he also loved the art and story so he would only chew in the margins.    

Heck, it might even be the original owners own teeth mark?

That rat chewed "4.0" did not have the best colors or eye appeal and appears to have sold for a 3.0 price, which is what it was originally graded at, if I'm not mistaken.  

Or at least, that's the highest grade I would give that.

This will be confirmed if/when the current 3.5 at auction sells for more...

-J.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:54 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

Cap #1 CGC Universal 3.5 with OW-W pages is coming to Heritage Auctions.

LINK

0.5 Universal missing 4 center wraps sold for $39,500 in March.

2.5 Universal sold for $86,000 last week.

What are your predictions for this one?

6E14E2CD-B396-476C-BEFF-0856277F4496.jpeg

This copy is now up to 63K.

In my opinion, it’s nicer than the 4.0 that just sold with the chew. I suspect that seeing so many copies hit the market so far this year impacted the realized price for the 4.0, but these books are no less spectacular.

I would not be surprised to see this close for 100K+ and top the 4.0.

Edited by Wayne-Tec