• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Is it me, or did the Cap 1 3.0 go from a bid of 34.5K (reserve not met) to 29.75K (reserve not met) today?  When you click on the bid history it states that 30K is the reserve now (since it will be the next bid) but if that's the case, where did the higher bids go from before?  Anyone have a guess as to what happened (the reserve being lowered AND disappearance of bids, that is).

Seems odd that both these things could happen together...don't you think?  hm

I think the 34.5K bid was not by a bidder but Clink showing that just 1 more bid and it can be yours. Probably the seller thought the comic wasn't going to hit the $35K reserve so he told Clink to lower the reserve to 30K making the new high bid by Clink (not a real bidder) be $29.75. Looks like that reserve won't be met. Hope so for the seller.

8 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

I think the 34.5K bid was not by a bidder but Clink showing that just 1 more bid and it can be yours. Probably the seller thought the comic wasn't going to hit the $35K reserve so he told Clink to lower the reserve to 30K making the new high bid by Clink (not a real bidder) be $29.75. Looks like that reserve won't be met. Hope so for the seller.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I've never heard of an auction house bidding on their own items for sale to drive up the price (because technically that's what they'd be doing if they did what you suggested).  It seems weird to me, because the 34.5K bid was legit, and the seller lowered the reserve from 35K to 30K, the high bid should still be 34.5 (and not drop nearly 5 thousand dollars) to 29.75K...if that makes sense.

Does Clink allow bid retractions?  Maybe that happened coupled with the seller lowering the reserve but to have both happen simultaneously seems more than just a coincidence...

21 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

It seems weird to me, because the 34.5K bid was legit, and the seller lowered the reserve from 35K to 30K, the high bid should still be 34.5 (and not drop nearly 5 thousand dollars) to 29.75K...if that makes sense.

Does Clink allow bid retractions?  Maybe that happened coupled with the seller lowering the reserve but to have both happen simultaneously seems more than just a coincidence...

The lowering of the reserve would have to trigger an opportunity to withdraw any bids above the newly lowered reserve.  

When someone makes a bid and it doesn't meet the reserve, it's essentially the same as being outbid.  So you can't (or shouldn't be able to) tell a bidder they've been outbid and then say oh now that we know that you won't bid higher, the bid that exceeded yours has been withdrawn.  The other bidder (be it an actual person or a reserve) in any such situation allowing that would be able to bid against all other bidders and push you to the limit without any risk of losing an item they wanted or winning an item they didn't want.  

Edited by bluechip

Final hammer came in at 30K...so whoever bid it up higher (assuming that Clink allowed them to withdraw their bids) before the reserve reduction got it for about 4K cheaper than whoever bid them up the first time.  Congrats to whoever won it!!! :golfclap:

Another request..... the red skull really doesnt provide much he just asks for things and whines when he doesnt get them!

I need scans of the centerfold

all four pages decent scans.....

Can anyone do that?

Please? First time Skull has ever begged possibly?

Thanks!

John