• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I believe these are the 4 CF pages.  Sorry that one is upside down

cap1cf31:32.jpg

cap1cf32.jpg

cap1cf32:33.jpg

cap1cf33.jpg

This is the pinnacle post of any ive ever seen on chat boards.....

a Unicorn......

The elusive centerfold.... OMG

there it is!!!!!!!!

Im pinching myself and my girfriend too!

Jesse and i thank you kind sir!

Jesse is going to recreate this eventually to complete my copy for me!

Thank You!

Hi there everyone ... I'm a serious Silver Age collector who has dabbled in pre-hero Atlas / Marvel books but never anything in the Golden Age.  As a Marvel collector who has picked up just about all of the Silver Age holy grail books, the obvious Golden Age target for me would be a Cap #1.

So when a 2.0 copy showed up on Heritage recently, I thought maybe I would give it a shot.  Especially since it might be the nicest-looking 2.0 I've ever seen, for any book.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F6%2F6%2F9%2F22669877%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

GPA shows that a 2.0 sold for $24,100 back in 2012, but looking beyond that data point makes it clear that number is badly out of date.  I wasn't sure what this copy might go for, and I don't like bidding on a book when I don't really understand the market for it, but I also asked myself when a copy that looked THIS good for its grade would ever come around again.  So I was feeling motivated to go for it.

Well, it didn't take long for this book to climb well beyond where I thought it might end up, and in the end it landed at $90,000 (including buyer's premium).  Amazing, though a bit discouraging for anyone who would someday like to own a copy!

I'm just wondering how closely the folks here were paying attention to this auction, and whether the results are in line with what you might have expected.  How far (if at all) does the result deviate from what a "typical" (less appealing to the eye) 2.0 might fetch?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice you may have for someone who still hasn't given up on the idea of joining this club.  (thumbsu

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

3 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hi there everyone ... I'm a serious Silver Age collector who has dabbled in pre-hero Atlas / Marvel books but never anything in the Golden Age.  As a Marvel collector who has picked up just about all of the Silver Age holy grail books, the obvious Golden Age target for me would be a Cap #1.

So when a 2.0 copy showed up on Heritage recently, I thought maybe I would give it a shot.  Especially since it might be the nicest-looking 2.0 I've ever seen, for any book.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F6%2F6%2F9%2F22669877%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

GPA shows that a 2.0 sold for $24,100 back in 2012, but looking beyond that data point makes it clear that number is badly out of date.  I wasn't sure what this copy might go for, and I don't like bidding on a book when I don't really understand the market for it, but I also asked myself when a copy that looked THIS good for its grade would ever come around again.  So I was feeling motivated to go for it.

Well, it didn't take long for this book to climb well beyond where I thought it might end up, and in the end it landed at $90,000 (including buyer's premium).  Amazing, though a bit discouraging for anyone who would someday like to own a copy!

I'm just wondering how closely the folks here were paying attention to this auction, and whether the results are in line with what you might have expected.  How far (if at all) does the result deviate from what a "typical" (less appealing to the eye) 2.0 might fetch?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice you may have for someone who is still hasn't given up on the idea of joining this club.  (thumbsu

Cap 1s have been all over the place of late.  That said, I thought this was a special copy.  As you correctly pointed out, the eye appeal is outstanding for the grade. I actually thought about taking a run at this myself, since I believe this book will continue to rise in the polls.  $90k is a strong price for a 2.0, but not all 2.0s are created equal.  The next one up may not have the eye appeal and could go for $75k.  I would be interested in the thoughts of others, but I do my bid evaluation maybe more on eye appeal than on the grade.  

I think $90k was about right.  

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Cap 1s have been all over the place of late.  That said, I thought this was a special copy.  As you correctly pointed out, the eye appeal is outstanding for the grade. I actually thought about taking a run at this myself, since I believe this book will continue to rise in the polls.  $90k is a strong price for a 2.0, but not all 2.0s are created equal.  The next one up may not have the eye appeal and could go for $75k.  I would be interested in the thoughts of others, but I do my bid evaluation maybe more on eye appeal than on the grade.  

I think $90k was about right.  

I’m wondering what the notes were to prevent it from garnering a higher grade? Is that color touch that was scraped from the upper left? This copy had superior eye appeal compared to the 2.5 that sold for a little less on CLINK not too long ago. The price point on this 2.0 was a better deal than the rat chewed 4.0 that keeps coming up for auction. 

Edited by Primetime

8 minutes ago, Primetime said:

I’m wondering what the notes were to prevent it from garnering a higher grade? Is that color touch that was scraped from the upper left? This copy had superior eye appeal compared to the 2.5 that sold for a little less on CLINK not too long ago. The price point on this 2.0 was a better deal than the rat chewed 4.0 that keeps coming up for auction. 

I did pull the grader notes, so I can actually answer that question for you!  Here you go ...

Center Spine Large Spine Split
Interior Small Multiple Tape
Left Bottom Front Cover Multiple Crease Breaks Color
Left Top Front Cover Small Color Lift
Spine Multiple Tape
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Spine Weak
Staple Multiple Front Cover Detached

1 minute ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I did pull the grader notes, so I can actually answer that question for you!  Here you go ...

Center Spine Large Spine Split
Interior Small Multiple Tape
Left Bottom Front Cover Multiple Crease Breaks Color
Left Top Front Cover Small Color Lift
Spine Multiple Tape
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Spine Weak
Staple Multiple Front Cover Detached

Great, thanks. The large spine split and weak spine explains the grade. It looks great, nonetheless, in the slab, thankfully. Congrats to the new owner. 

1 minute ago, Primetime said:

Great, thanks. The large spine split and weak spine explains the grade. It looks great, nonetheless, in the slab, thankfully. Congrats to the new owner. 

What specifically do you think "weak spine" means?  Does it really add anything to the other comments on the spine, such as the fact that it has a large split, detached staples, tape, and stress lines?

4 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

What specifically do you think "weak spine" means?  Does it really add anything to the other comments on the spine, such as the fact that it has a large split, detached staples, tape, and stress lines?

It just means it has some big splits where the paper is separating and that’s where tape was likely applied on the interior to keep it together. This is a great example of a technically low grade book with inner spine defects but not too many significant, glaring wear and tear defects to ruin the eye appeal. 

Edited by Primetime

8 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It's ebay. :banana: Also, I think the seller missed 1 extra zero for good measure.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Any guesses on what the hammer will be for this 5.5 on c-link? It presents pretty well, nice pq. I feel like the back could benefit from being dry cleaned and remove a bunch of the dirt residue/the letter, possible slight upgrade potential 🤔.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3F_SORT%3DYES%26Focused%3D1%26ItemType%3D0%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.Title%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire3%3DDESC%23Item_1445469&id=1445469&itemType=0

0EEA135C-5D73-47A2-9E13-016823E6346F.jpeg

8EBFEFDA-ED76-4189-8D25-D0ED7D1A1F4D.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1