• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Here are a few once the book was cracked out from it's (competitor's) holder...1746264044_cap1lrcbcb4.thumb.jpg.846a68bea798e2a8d0c20b54e4b47173.jpgIMG_0511.jpg.13649eadc2f82b5924135eef689b0644.jpgIMG_0512.jpg.dbb79fb9d1f0801beec1714d5a8ca7c1.jpg

OK, I'll readily admit I don't know anything at all about these Golden Age books, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how pages like this could eventually get a book graded an 8.0.   If I had to guess I would be thinking .5 to 2.0.   Someone really worked some magic here!!  Do you have pics as it went through the restoration?

7 hours ago, BladeTX said:

OK, I'll readily admit I don't know anything at all about these Golden Age books, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how pages like this could eventually get a book graded an 8.0.   If I had to guess I would be thinking .5 to 2.0.   Someone really worked some magic here!!  Do you have pics as it went through the restoration?

Hey Tom!

I know you know this but these are the before photos of when the pages were brittle but after the leaf casting to the spine to re-connect the pages along with fixing any edge wear they would get a better quality designation (hence the upgrade from brittle to off-white).  Had it not been for the color touch, pieces added, and interior being trimmed & lightened, this one could have been a candidate for a conserved label.  It's a beautiful 8.0 and a masterful work by Kenny (he's a true wizard and a master of his craft for sure) but like you said, it's magic for sure! This is truly an awe-inspiring copy and my hats off to Kenny for his work and Quicksilver for being the owner (worship)

Edited by Sensei Ryan

11 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I was amazed myself at what is actually possible. When Matt first assessed the book in it's slab, he couldn't have known how bad the interior was, and big ups to him and Kenny for going the extra mile, and not revising the original estimate for the work after dismantling the book.

It took a while to finish, but I couldn't be any happier with the results !

It looks like that amateur pencil/grease pen mark removal really hurt the color on the FC.  Not that it matters, but some things are best left to the professionals (I'm certain it was done a long time ago but just lamenting on that fact). 

Still a gorgeous copy!

45 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

It looks like that amateur pencil/grease pen mark removal really hurt the color on the FC.  Not that it matters, but some things are best left to the professionals (I'm certain it was done a long time ago but just lamenting on that fact). 

Still a gorgeous copy!

It's an ok copy.  Not a fan of the yellowing w/ fading of colors.  Not a really strong 6.5 (noticed it was listed as a 6.0). A rather strong price I'd say. Book trending up again?

6 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

My old copy will be up for sale on HA

I owned it 25 years ago and after I sold it, it was graded 8.0 and now it's an 8.5

It's a really beautiful copy.

Any guesses what it will sell for?

lf (2).jpeg

I think you won't want to know the answer to that question.

51 minutes ago, Northwest said:

A 6.0 went for 225k on CL exchange  yesterday 12/21/20 (well above the last sale in grade HA 11/2019 132k):

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D3912&id=1454070

Screenshot_20201222-070400~2.png

Nice old label copy. Colors don’t appear to b very vibrant to me however. Cap 1 on the move though !!!