• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1

CGC No Grade: 0.3

Publisher: Timely
Bid History: Sold For
$9,556 

38 Bids 

Time Left:
Auction Ended

End Time: 7:58 PM EDT
Tuesday 9/12/2017
Comments: ow/white pgs; cvrless
Kirby & Simon cvr/art; origin & 1st app. Captain America, Bucky, & Red Skull; classic Hitler cvr!

2 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1

CGC No Grade: 0.3

Publisher: Timely
Bid History: Sold For
$9,556 

38 Bids 

Time Left:
Auction Ended

End Time: 7:58 PM EDT
Tuesday 9/12/2017
Comments: ow/white pgs; cvrless
Kirby & Simon cvr/art; origin & 1st app. Captain America, Bucky, & Red Skull; classic Hitler cvr!

you beat me to the posting

Edited by Action Comics

4 minutes ago, Action Comics said:
On 9/11/2017 at 7:53 AM, Chicago Boy said:

That's a real nice looking coverless copy.  I'm going with 10k.

Sold for $9556 so you were pretty much spot on 

Yeah, I was way high at $17K.  Surprises me that a nice complete coverless copy went for (a bit) less than $10K.  If the buyer has a cover .... 

I think the demand for these coverless books is low.  If only one showed up a year then there could be crazy bidding wars, but there have been 5+ Cap #1s offered in the past 2 years.   But then again if you need a centerfold you gotta do what you gotta do.  Then piece out the rest.    

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I was way high at $17K.  Surprises me that a nice complete coverless copy went for (a bit) less than $10K.  If the buyer has a cover .... 

Well, even with a super nice cover you would only get a max grade of 4.0 and most likely qualified at that.   Would a 2.0 qualified end product be worth the $17 + Cover costs?  Prob $30 total spent?   I'm not sure.

Edited by Knightsofold

1 minute ago, Knightsofold said:
7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, even with a super nice cover you would only get a max grade of 4.0 and most likely qualified at that.   Would a 2.0 qualified end product be worth the $17 + Cover costs?  Prob $30?

It would depend on the cover.  Would definitely come back qualified with a married cover.  I could see a 2.0 qualified that presented well doing $30K.  A 4.0 qualified would go for way more, I would think.  But, then, I thought this coverless copy would go significantly higher than it did! :)

4 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Well, even with a super nice cover you would only get a max grade of 4.0 and most likely qualified at that.   Would a 2.0 qualified end product be worth the $17 + Cover costs?  Prob $30 total spent?   I'm not sure.

Did you ever marry your cover and coverless copy?

1 minute ago, Action Comics said:

Did you ever marry your cover and coverless copy?

No, it's still really fun to view em side by side.  Plus, I'd rather put the $ it would take to grade into another comic.

I paid more for my coverless than this latest auction, but not too much more.  I think around 10k is fair, but could fluctuate greatly in both directions IMO.

33321466902_9cf51a19f6_h.jpg 

Just now, Knightsofold said:

No, it's still really fun to view em side by side.  Plus, I'd rather put the $ it would take to grade into another comic.

I paid more for my coverless than this latest auction, but not too much more.  I think around 10k is fair, but could fluctuate greatly in both directions IMO.

33321466902_9cf51a19f6_h.jpg 

:cloud9:

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It would depend on the cover.  Would definitely come back qualified with a married cover.  I could see a 2.0 qualified that presented well doing $30K.  A 4.0 qualified would go for way more, I would think.  But, then, I thought this coverless copy would go significantly higher than it did! :)

If you got really lucky with your cover and interior there's always a chance it would come back blue.  But with Timely manufacturing, you could go through a dozen or more of each just to try to match up exterior edges and staple holes.  Would be much easier if you knew it was a purple. 

45 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I think the demand for these coverless books is low.  If only one showed up a year then there could be crazy bidding wars, but there have been 5+ Cap #1s offered in the past 2 years.   But then again if you need a centerfold you gotta do what you gotta do.  Then piece out the rest.    

Not too long ago, a coverless Cap #1 could be had for 5-6K. My experience, as it pertains to demand, has been the opposite.

I thought this copy would sell for 12-15K, so we're not there yet. Congrats to the winner if anyone on the boards won it. 

3 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Not too long ago, a coverless Cap #1 could be had for 5-6K. My experience, as it pertains to demand, has been the opposite.

I thought this copy would sell for 12-15K, so we're not there yet. Congrats to the winner if anyone on the boards won it. 

I wish we could find out where the other coverless ones went.