• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

How many higher than this 9.4?  Highest should be a 1 mil book imo.

anyone actually seen the Allentown cgc 9.8 in a pic or in person?

would LOVE to see that book- that book would bring 1.5 to 2 million I am quite sure

who owns it? did JOhn Verzyl own it at one point?

2 hours ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

would LOVE to see that book- that book would bring 1.5 to 2 million I am quite sure

The Verzyl’s still own it and it’s been seen by many 

I don’t think the 9.4 will reach $1M, yet. My guess is it will sell for $600K-$750K and end up a steal of a deal after a few years pass.

The Top-6 books in the hobby (my opinion as far as long term potential) are Action #1, Detective #27, Superman #1, Marvel #1, Batman #1 and Cap #1. And for as valuable as they all are, they’re still extremely undervalued when you consider higher values for other collectibles. High grade copies of the “Big-6” are special. This book is special. It will be exciting to watch.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

13 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Seems like a flood of Cap 1's in almost all grades have been coming out for sale. About a year or so ago, finding unrestored copies were scarce. It's a cycle that we often see with golden age books. I wonder what's next.

Cap #1 has remained as rare as its ever been: Tougher than Batman #1 and more common than Superman #1.

These cycles of availability certainly impact sales during the here and now, but do not impact what has managed to survive over the past 78-79 years.

Had this Cap #1 9.4 surfaced following an availability “drought”, I suspect it would sell for quite a bit more. But know knows. Only time will tell.

15 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I don’t think the 9.4 will reach $1M, yet. My guess is it will sell for $600K-$750K and end up a steal of a deal after a few years pass.

The Top-6 books in the hobby (my opinion as far as long term potential) are Action #1, Detective #27, Superman #1, Marvel #1, Batman #1 and Cap #1. And for as valuable as they all are, they’re still extremely undervalued when you consider higher values for other collectibles. High grade copies of the “Big-6” are special. This book is special. It will be exciting to watch.

While the prices realized sometimes surprise me, I also find myself then comparing the prices of the super keys relative to the prices realized for Sports, Movie and Rock memorabilia, and trendy modern art and find myself wondering how it's even possible that a Honus Wagner card is "worth" more than some, if not most, copies of the first appearance of Batman.  Ditto for guitars used in a concert, jerseys worn during a game, etc.   

31 minutes ago, bluechip said:

While the prices realized sometimes surprise me, I also find myself then comparing the prices of the super keys relative to the prices realized for Sports, Movie and Rock memorabilia, and trendy modern art and find myself wondering how it's even possible that a Honus Wagner card is "worth" more than some, if not most, copies of the first appearance of Batman.  Ditto for guitars used in a concert, jerseys worn during a game, etc.   

The more direct comparison to those collectibles would be Comic Book Original art.  But with less than 100 or 200 copies in existence the golden age mega keys deserve their place among those as well.  Especially if their original art has been lost.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, G.A.tor said:
On 6/20/2019 at 5:06 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

The Verzyl’s still own it and it’s been seen by many 

Apparently it's been seen many times by CGC as a CGC 9.6 graded copy before they got tired of seeing it. 

As a result, they finally decided to give it a 9.8 so that they wouldn't have to see it again and also finally stop John from :blahblah:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:  to them to no end about the book.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

The more direct comparison to those collectibles would be Comic Book Original art.  But with less than 100 or 200 copies in existence the golden age mega keys deserve their place among those as well.  Especially if their original art has been lost.

While I agree that the low numbers of the keys means they deserve their place among the top collectibles, I don't think stage used guitars or field worn jerseys compare to original art. 

Worn jerseys and stage used guitars would compare more to the desk where comics were drawn or the typewriter on which they were written.  Possibly creators' personal copies.  Maybe letters or memos about key moments of creation and forth.   Similar but not quite the same because unlike jerseys, bats or guitars the celeb comic creator isn't necessarily seen in public with the item.  But the day may come when Kirby's art desk brings a hefty sum.

In the meantime, the only thing I can think of, off the top of my head, that compares to original art in the rock world might be the hand-written lyrics for a classic song.   

I don't think there are any comparables in the sports world.   The genesis of Ruth's home run record is not something that still exists in tangible form.   It only exists in memory and as described in contemporary printed accounts.  But the genesis of Amazing Fantasy 15 is right there, in pencil and ink on paper, in the Smithsonian.

Edited by bluechip

How do you guys feel about the trajectory Cap #1 and Marvel #1 are on at this time?

Few years back, it seemed like Cap #1 pulled ahead. Now, I get the feeling Marvel #1 could beat Cap #1 in a lot of grades. Am I wrong on that?

53 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

How do you guys feel about the trajectory Cap #1 and Marvel #1 are on at this time?

Few years back, it seemed like Cap #1 pulled ahead. Now, I get the feeling Marvel #1 could beat Cap #1 in a lot of grades. Am I wrong on that?

Marvel 1 has always been ahead of Cap 1 (regardless of any sales data) :smile:

On 6/23/2019 at 10:28 PM, Primetime said:

Marvel 1 has always been ahead of Cap 1 (regardless of any sales data) :smile:

Marvel 1 to me is far more historic...and regardless of GPA..I think scarcer....Capt was and is great...and Hitler cover and War added to his importance...but Marv 1 was the start of the franchise..and two new superheroes along with Subby who dominated the Comic world along with a few others for decades...... 
But again, as a historian...to me Marv 1 clear winner...that said I'm now looking for an affordable Capt. 1! :roflmao:

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, lou_fine said:

Apparently it's been seen many times by CGC as a CGC 9.6 graded copy before they got tired of seeing it. 

As a result, they finally decided to give it a 9.8 so that they wouldn't have to see it again and also finally stop John from :blahblah:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:  to them to no end about the book.  lol

(thumbsu YUP YOUR BROTHER WOULD AGREE

LOU LARRY FINE.jpg

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, storypapers said:

Marvel 1 to me is far more historic...and regardless of GPA..I think scarcer....Capt was and is great...and Hitler cover and War added to his importance...but Marv 1 was the start of the franchise..and two new superheroes along with Subby who dominated the Comic world along with a few others for decades...... 
But again, as a historian...to me Marv 1 clear winner...that said I'm now looking for an affordable Capt. 1! :roflmao:

agreed.