• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Is it unreasonable to say this book could come close to $1,000,000?

I don’t think it will. But high grade copies of the top GA books don’t come around very often.

I think it will land between 900,000 and 1.1 million. Of the two Universal 9.4's that exist I can't find any record of one of them being sold. 

Just found out there is one 9.8 out there. Thats gotta be the one of the top 4 most valuable comics along with the 2 Action #1 9.0's and the Detective 27 9.2.

And since I started writing that previous sentence I just found out that the Cap 1 9.8 used to be a 9.6.

How the heck did that happen?

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
5 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

That...is a thing of beauty. :golfclap:

Thanks for asking. The pleasure was all mine!!!

Now, that Cap 1 which you have there is a definite keeper from any collector's point of view.  :applause:

Now that's a perfect grade to have for a Cap 3 in order to keep the price reasonable for what I consider to be the second most valuable Cap book out there.  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

I think it will land between 900,000 and 1.1 million. Of the two Universal 9.4's that exist I can't find any record of one of them being sold. 

Just found out there is one 9.8 out there. Thats gotta be the one of the top 4 most valuable comics along with the 2 Action #1 9.0's and the Detective 27 9.2.

And since I started writing that previous sentence I just found out that the Cap 1 9.8 used to be a 9.6.

I think there’s discussion on this earlier in the thread about how the late great John Verzyl twisted some CGC arms for it . . .

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now, that Cap 1 which you have there is a definite keeper from any collector's point of view.  :applause:

Now that's a perfect grade to have for a Cap 3 in order to keep the price reasonable for what I consider to be the second most valuable Cap book out there.  :luhv:

Thanks, Lou.  Your observation about the Cap 3 plays right into a nagging voice in the back of my head.  As fun as these books are to own, there’s always a pervasive question mark in my head about what kind of bidders will happen to be in the market when it comes time to sell.  Like everyone else, I want the bestest and the perfectest, but those wishes are tempered by the realities of the collectibles hobby.  Truly, I can’t afford the bestest and the perfectest, so maybe its just rationalization, but its my hope that when the day comes for the auction block, there will be more competitive bidding at the lower end of the pool.  What good is a 9.4 if there aren’t 2 guys both of whom want the book and both of whom have the means to buy the book?  What if there’s only one of these unicorns out on the playing field at the time of auction?  The potential for loss is the 900 pound gorilla always in the room. We all know it and choose to live with it. Anyway, I’ve made peace with the fact that if it strictly were a money making deal, I’d have left my money in the stock market rather than the riskier comic collectibles market.  But where would be the fun in that !!??  

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

12 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

Any price predictions on the Conserved Cap 1 occurring in the November auction?

15 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

If you are serious and not trying to be sarcastic with your question here, then spending money on slabbed books might not be the best thing for your bank account.  hm

17 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

The difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 is not an absolute science; grading is subjective.  So, it should be expected that a book might receive a different grade on a different day.   Now, you might say a book like that is so specific that the graders are likely to know that individual book and therefore likely to know what it was graded before.   But, if they put that knowledge aside they might come up with a genuinely different number.   

Or -- there might have been some defect that was easily pressed away.   Like a slight bend in a corner.   If the grader doesn't know that, they will grade it on face value.   But even if a grader does know the book once had a bend which is no longer there, it would be odd if they were compelled to grade a book based on a bend which is no longer there.   

Perhaps it would be less odd if the grading standards were to say, for example, that a bend which is clearly pressable should not have been considered a defect in the first place?    May sound odd but when you open a book to read it the book is changed from its "natural" state, but you can close it again.   

If, somehow, the book was permanently open and could not be closed, that would certainly be a defect.  But if you can close it again, it's not a defect.  (Which raises the question: if someone submitted a book to CGC and it was opened up, would you expect them not to close it, or to grade it as is and consider it a defect?   I've seen books graded which were folded over, and wondered why?  Did the person who sent it in not realize it, or perhaps they wanted to highlight an interior page?  Did CGC ask if they wanted it graded folded inside out?)

Is that considered a defect?   Or not.  

If it's not, does that concept apply to a slight corner bend that doesn't break color or undermine the paper?   

It could be argued that every time a cover is bent it undermines the paper, if only slightly.  But the same is true for every time a book is read.  If you bend the cover and pages to read them, you have put some infinitesimal strain on the fibers which cannot be measured.   Grading of technical structural flaws is supposed to be about what can be measured.   A book that was read carefully and lovingly many times would have endured more stress on its fibers than a book which got a bent corner that was later flattened out.   And should it make a difference whether that bend was flattened out last month by someone who pressed it out professionally, versus a bend that was flattened out 80 years ago when the book was simply put at the bottom of a stack of comics?

I

Edited by bluechip

46 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
4 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

What are you talking about? 

Lou just means that a few pages back was an extensive discussion about how the 9.6 became a 9.8. He’s a good guy and means you no harm. The timing is just sort of comical, is all

Actually, a much more extensive discussion of the Allentown Cap 1 took place very recently in this thread here on Page 2 going forward:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/451962-captain-america-1-cgc-94/page/2/#comments

I believe that bluechip also explained it correctly and concisely in his post up above. (thumbsu

Bottom-line:  Grading is very subjective and nothing more than a grader's opinion at a particular point in time.  As a result, what might be viewed as a 9.6 copy one day could just as easily be viewed by the same grader as a 9.8 copy on another day whether or not any enhancement work had been done to the book in the interim.  hm