• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

Funny how the first 10 to 15 appearances of Superman and Batman (In Action and Detective) go for huge money, but with Captain America Comics issues 4 to about 50 go for close to the same money with only a few exceptions.

Well that 9.4 is up to 410K with 11 days to go.

4 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

Funny how the first 10 to 15 appearances of Superman and Batman (In Action and Detective) go for huge money, but with Captain America Comics issues 4 to about 50 go for close to the same money with only a few exceptions.

The first 10 Simon & Kirby issues were once treated like royalty.  I don’t know why(except for Caps 2 and 3) they’ve faded into the background.  Maybe a general perception that they were overpriced.  There are no major villains or character developments made, unlike say, Amazing Spider-Man.  And some of the covers seem goofy to me.  

But you are right.  The first group of issues don’t seem to get the respect they deserve

On 7/21/2019 at 6:20 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The first 10 Simon & Kirby issues were once treated like royalty.  I don’t know why(except for Caps 2 and 3) they’ve faded into the background.  Maybe a general perception that they were overpriced.  There are no major villains or character developments made, unlike say, Amazing Spider-Man.  And some of the covers seem goofy to me.  

But you are right.  The first group of issues don’t seem to get the respect they deserve

I’ve seen copies from an OO from issue4 up to the infamous issue 13 where some ended being the highest graded on the census. Commanded a big price but no takers till auction from what I saw 

9 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I’ve seen copies from an OO from issue4 up to the infamous issue 13 where some ended being the highest graded on the census. Commanded a big price but no takers till auction from what I saw 

I remember that. They had the 13 on the internet priced at $200k. I think it finally went for $100k in auction. 9.4, it was

On 7/20/2019 at 11:24 PM, Dinosaur jr. said:

The “classic covers” command a higher price than the better interior content of 4-10, I’m sure this started when slabbing caused covers to be a larger focus than before. #7 (classic Kirby cover),  #13 (pearl harbor cover), 27&37 (classic Schomburg), 36 (Hitler Cover), 74 (Red skull weird tales cover), and perhaps the 4th most valuable cap behind 1, 3, and 2, #46 the classic Schomburg holocaust cover.

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

The “classic covers” command a higher price than the better interior content of 4-10, I’m sure this started when slabbing caused covers to be a larger focus than before. #7 (classic Kirby cover),  #13 (pearl harbor cover), 27&37 (classic Schomburg), 36 (Hitler Cover), 74 (Red skull weird tales cover), and perhaps the 4th most valuable cap behind 1, 3, and 2, #46 the classic Schomburg holocaust cover.

You’ve got the right issues identified, but it seems like the Cap 7s aren’t getting as much interest now as they used to. 

44 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You’ve got the right issues identified, but it seems like the Cap 7s aren’t getting as much interest now as they used to. 

I agree 100% even 13 seems low at times as well.

3 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

You are correct.   I have low grade copies in those numbers and a guy asked me about buying some, but when he informed me how much they go for I looked them up and said yeah you're right but if that are that low I would prefer to keep them and you would prefer not to pay over FMV so it's probably not worth talking about them further.  

Most of my Silver and Bronze want list is complete so I've been considering looking for some Golden Age books. Thinking one early example of each of the DC and Timely Superhero. While researching the Timely Caps I've noted a few thing:

Issue 4 I feel is undervalued. Its got Kirby, Simon, and Lee plus its a Shomburg cover. He drew Cap different for that cover, not with a crazed I'm gonna kill you look on his face. Very pleasing to look at cover. 

Issue 11 is cool as its not a WWII cover and Cap is drawn bigger than in most. The cover of #17 I think is Avison's best. Awesome horror cover and Cap looks huge and ripped. 20 & 22 are 2 great Syd Shores battlefield covers. 26 of course the return of Shomburg. 29 ,31 ,33 pure awesomeness. 37 seems to be the most popular of the Battlefield covers and goes for crazy money I suppose because the cover seems to depict the defeat of Germany. I'd like to get a Shomburg cover but eyes keep taking me back to issues 17 and 22. 

4 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

Most of my Silver and Bronze want list is complete so I've been considering looking for some Golden Age books. Thinking one early example of each of the DC and Timely Superhero. While researching the Timely Caps I've noted a few thing:

Issue 4 I feel is undervalued. Its got Kirby, Simon, and Lee plus its a Shomburg cover. He drew Cap different for that cover, not with a crazed I'm gonna kill you look on his face. Very pleasing to look at cover. 

Issue 11 is cool as its not a WWII cover and Cap is drawn bigger than in most. The cover of #17 I think is Avison's best. Awesome horror cover and Cap looks huge and ripped. 20 & 22 are 2 great Syd Shores battlefield covers. 26 of course the return of Shomburg. 29 ,31 ,33 pure awesomeness. 37 seems to be the most popular of the Battlefield covers and goes for crazy money I suppose because the cover seems to depict the defeat of Germany. I'd like to get a Shomburg cover but eyes keep taking me back to issues 17 and 22. 

I had to pull down my Gerbers after reading your post.  These are all covers that I’ve not really taken notice of. Number 4 does show to be a Schomburg cover, like 3.  To me, neither look like Schomburg, and I’m not sure what stylistic impulse he’s following here. Honestly Syd Shores has never done much for me.  I know others feel differently.

If you are looking for one example of a Timely Superhero book for your collection, I say ya can’t go wrong with a Schomburg WWII cover.  I view Schomburg as the quintessential Timely artist, and the quintessential WWII artist.  Not sure I’d go with 4 just because it doesn’t look like Schomburg.

I think 37 is popular just because it, of all his covers, captures his usual chaos so beautifully.  There’s something about the image that takes your eye and moves it in a circular motion around the book.  The movement he has captured is elegant and purposeful.  And the details contained within this unusual layout are all individually pleasing.  From the charging Americans carrying the flag, to the hapless Germans in front, realizing their mistake, to the burning building in the background.

You mentioned 26, 29,31 and 33.  All fine choices.  Of them, I like 33 the best, but 33s are hard to find.  I don’t think you could go wrong with any of these 4, and they shouldn’t break the bank(except for possibly 33).

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I had to pull down my Gerbers after reading your post.  These are all covers that I’ve not really taken notice of. Number 4 does show to be a Schomburg cover, like 3.  To me, neither look like Schomburg, and I’m not sure what stylistic impulse he’s following here. Honestly Syd Shores has never done much for me.  I know others feel differently.

If you are looking for one example of a Timely Superhero book for your collection, I say ya can’t go wrong with a Schomburg WWII cover.  I view Schomburg as the quintessential Timely artist, and the quintessential WWII artist.  Not sure I’d go with 4 just because it doesn’t look like Schomburg.

I think 37 is popular just because it, of all his covers, captures his usual chaos so beautifully.  There’s something about the image that takes your eye and moves it in a circular motion around the book.  The movement he has captured is elegant and purposeful.  And the details contained within this unusual layout are all individually pleasing.  From the charging Americans carrying the flag, to the hapless Germans in front, realizing their mistake, to the burning building in the background.

You mentioned 26, 29,31 and 33.  All fine choices.  Of them, I like 33 the best, but 33s are hard to find.  I don’t think you could go wrong with any of these 4, and they shouldn’t break the bank(except for possibly 33).

4 is vastly underrated (as is the 2 - 1st round shield) and you get the first pin up on the back cover. After that, I skip to 26-37 for the better Schomburg covers (32 and 34-36 are non Schomburg covers). 33 is my lone favorite of that run. 34 has a nice full centerfold of Cap in battle. 

On 7/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, Primetime said:

4 is vastly underrated (as is the 2 - 1st round shield) and you get the first pin up on the back cover. After that, I skip to 26-37 for the better Schomburg covers (32 and 34-36 are non Schomburg covers). 33 is my lone favorite of that run. 34 has a nice full centerfold of Cap in battle. 

Yep I think many people feel that way. Those Shomburg covers were the best and they'll always be the most desirable I suppose. He was the best of the best that guy. I do think that Avison and Shores did a pretty good job as well overall with backgrounds and foregrounds. Even Caps body looks pretty good on most covers. To me it seems they just couldn't get his face right in a way that Shomburg could or all that extra detail that he could.

Edited by Dinosaur jr.

4 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

$36,000 hammer.

light tan-off white.  

Light tan page quality probably hurt the hammer 

The John Berk copy sold in the marketplace, asking price was $43,000.  PM transaction but prices are heathy I believe restored copies are still good value at the going rate.  theres a trimmed copy on comicconnect that's already at $31,000

Hi

I'm still out here in need of the centerfold and a front cover if anyone hears of such beasts! 

I have lots of cool stuff to trade with such as tens, twentys and hundreds! Maybe a fifty or two as well for kicks! Ha!

I can trade comics too if you prefer.

Thanks!

JB