• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torn about this AF15

156 posts in this topic

Not a post I wanted to make, but I feel I've been left little alternative as my recent email reply to the pressing service I mention in the text below has gone unanswered. If they are going to hide behind their disclaimer and not discuss the issue at hand I need an outlet for some perspective and advice. In April 2014 I purchased an AF15 from Metro at C2E2 as a G++/VG raw. In their estimation, and in mine the book could have used a press to increase its presentation. This book was posted on the boards for sale in May as I was moving away from super-hero books and I was hoping to use the funds to purchase some PCH. The book did not sell, so I decided to submit it to CGC but to use a pressing service first, which I did. I used a pressing service and submitted to CGC via walk through due to the dollar amount. I checked my submission 48 hours after getting the notice from the pressing service that the books had been sent to CGC and was shocked, dismayed and upset to see on the grade that the cover was completely detached from the book, when it had been attached at both staples when the book was sent to the pressing service. I spoke with CGC immediately upon seeing this and they told my I'd need to speak to the pressing service as when it was received at their facility the cover was already detached. So I did, and below is a word-for-word email reply from the owner of the pressing service, I left out the pleasantries and closing.

"Regarding the cover coming loose on the AF #15, we have a disclaimer on the website that discusses pressing fragile or tanned books, and how there is a possibility of staples popping in those situations. We recommend not submitting books that could be fragile, and if there is doubt, to check off the screening service so I can examine the book beforehand. Since the book was not previously CGC graded nor screened, there was no way to tell after the fact how the cover became detached. I also noticed the chipping to the edges and a spine split in the pictures, which would put the book close to 2.0 regardless of the detached cover."

I've included pictures of the book raw and the book after it had been pressed. I would ask you, what is your opinion. I personally feel that the cover was damaged additionally during the press and not during shipping. I've read the "How to Pack Your Books for Shipping" thread more than once, and I've packed plenty books for shipping and I know how to do so to avoid any possible damage from the USPS. Do you think it a reasonable conclusion to make that the pressing did more harm than good with the book pictured? Does the pressing company bear any responsibility to notify their customer than the book might be in danger of incurred defects that would negate the pressing service?

Before I go any further, there is a preexisting defect that is not readily visible that I need to list, and some post press defects.

Pre-press, Spine split at the top left corner to just below the A in Amazing.

Post press, spine splint extended through the .12 bubble to the top staple. Tear in the spine from the top of the bottom staple extending at least 1" vertically.

Looking for honest feedback here, not wanting to play the blame game and I will not mention which pressing service I used in this thread, PM me if you want that info.

Before and after pictures are below.

20140426_175246_zps7ttpqcqe.jpg

20140626_195739_zpslyrvltsf.jpg

20140626_195723_zps6f9fsrvo.jpg

20140626_195653_zpsumoeafzk.jpg

I understand how upsetting this is and I'm sorry that such a thing happened to such a MAJOR book...

That being said, pressing books always invites the possibility of something going wrong as you're subjecting it to conditions it would 'normally' not encounter.

It sounds like the pressing service has themselves covered by their disclaimer as you've noted... still, I know that doesn't change anything. :(

My opinion is you should left the book as it was,instead of trying to gain a few extra bucks by pressing.You gambled,you lost.Nuff said! :facepalm:
Pretty much. I do feel bad for Dave though. Pressing damage is a possibility that the owner of the books risks with every press. You just have to accept that.

Given the condition of the book before pressing how much more of a grade bump where you expecting? I very rarely have any book in the potential 3.0 and under range pressed due to the cover defects.

On the other hand we trust these companies with our books and pay them for a service. It would be nice if they had the desire to look at a book and warn the customer about this before tearing the cover off and never telling the customer until they see it at cgc.

My opinion is you should left the book as it was,instead of trying to gain a few extra bucks by pressing.You gambled,you lost.Nuff said! :facepalm:
Pretty much. I do feel bad for Dave though. Pressing damage is a possibility that the owner of the books risks with every press. You just have to accept that.

Reading back the quote from me,it sounded very insensitive.I apologise,but that spine split seems like it would have popped the staple anyway.

Yes and this is a lesson for everyone to weigh the odds when sending a fragile book for pressing. It would be nice if the company shot you an email saying this book is fragile and such damage can occur even without using the pre screening service but this is indeed one of those gambled/lost scenarios.

I've had a cover split in 2 just from scanning the interior.....

The raw pictures already show a ton of wear around both staples; can't exactly say the cover detach is surprising at all.

I've had a cover split in 2 just from scanning the interior.....

I think the above quotes could be part of the problem with blame being shared by both the customer and the presser.

If this was not a quick press I am going to assume that the book was opened, laid flat, pressed, then refolded. Books with spine damage usually can not handle this type of pressing and are damaged even more.

Should DiamondDave have known this? maybe.

Should the presser have known this? absolutely.

Should the presser have contacted the customer with concerns about damaging the book? Customer service goes along way for repeat business.

Should the presser have contacted the customer when the book was damaged from pressing? Yes!

I am not concerned that the book was damaged further (as it was already in bad shape). I am worried that the presser damaged the book, didn't tell the customer, and when asked about the damage pointed to a website statement trying to lay all the blame on the customer for submitting the book to them.

The book might have ended up in a 3.0 slab if left alone, I don't see how pressing would have improved the grade beyond that, and it could have just as easily been a 2.5 either way. It looks like the spine was fragile to begin with and lost pieces around the staples due to pressing. I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way on such a valuable book that books you might be reluctant to hold open in one hand should probably not be pressed.

As it is you still have a nicely presenting 2.0, and should be able to command a slight premium over the average book in that grade.

In a perfect world a pressing service should probably advise against pressing such a valuable book, even with a disclaimer. That way if you still give the go ahead, the risk you are taking is completely understood, but they did give you the option to check off a screening service.

I feel for you, as most of us have probably made a mistake handling books that have cost us money at one time or another.

Hi Diamonddave,

It really sucks that this happened to you. I would be pretty upset too.

So in the lessons to learn department, I do believe your first mistake was in purchasing a book of such value that was not already CGC-certified. I would not buy a raw book of that caliber from Metro or anyone else for that matter, since an encapsulated book is likely to cost the same and in the bargain you know the CGC grade without paying the grading cost.

I don't even know what G++/VG means; my guess is you were charged a strong VG price for this, and in a parallel universe you might not have gotten the cover detachment but still get a CGC grade lower than Metro's grade which would have been a similar disappointment.

The book will appreciate regardless and I would aim to sell it in a year or two, hoping to recoup what you paid, plus or minus 10%.

Good luck

Just shipping a book like that can detach the staples, damage the cover or split the cover. Boxes get jarred, kicked, dropped and tumbled all the time.

And I agree with everyone else, that there is an inherent risk in pressing and this is one of those examples. It's terrible that it happened but I wouldn't blame anyone else for a fragile book coming apart.

If you don't want to assume the risk then don't ship or press your books.