• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torn about this AF15

156 posts in this topic

The raw pictures already show a ton of wear around both staples; can't exactly say the cover detach is surprising at all.

I've had a cover split in 2 just from scanning the interior.....

I think the above quotes could be part of the problem with blame being shared by both the customer and the presser.

If this was not a quick press I am going to assume that the book was opened, laid flat, pressed, then refolded. Books with spine damage usually can not handle this type of pressing and are damaged even more.

Should DiamondDave have known this? maybe.

Should the presser have known this? absolutely.

Should the presser have contacted the customer with concerns about damaging the book? Customer service goes along way for repeat business.

Should the presser have contacted the customer when the book was damaged from pressing? Yes!

I am not concerned that the book was damaged further (as it was already in bad shape). I am worried that the presser damaged the book, didn't tell the customer, and when asked about the damage pointed to a website statement trying to lay all the blame on the customer for submitting the book to them.

+1 good post

The raw pictures already show a ton of wear around both staples; can't exactly say the cover detach is surprising at all.

I think the above quotes could be part of the problem with blame being shared by both the customer and the presser.

If this was not a quick press I am going to assume that the book was opened, laid flat, pressed, then refolded. Books with spine damage usually can not handle this type of pressing and are damaged even more.

Should the presser have contacted the customer with concerns about damaging the book? Customer service goes along way for repeat business.

Should the presser have contacted the customer when the book was damaged from pressing? Yes!

I am not concerned that the book was damaged further (as it was already in bad shape). I am worried that the presser damaged the book, didn't tell the customer, and when asked about the damage pointed to a website statement trying to lay all the blame on the customer for submitting the book to them.

Agreed it would be nice of the pressing service to offer something more than an apology, such as a free or discounted future service. At least that way maybe they retain a customer.

From looking at the raw scan versus the slab, I also noticed that the slight spine roll was pressed out which in itself probably stressed the paper around the staples enough to split an already precarious situation. It's a tough pill to swallow but I appreciate you sharing so we all can see that in certain situations there might be major pitfalls in pressing.

I think you're assuming wrong that the book was opened then laid flat, can't imagine any presser with experience doing something like this. Pressing a brittle book in its closed state could damage the spine which is probably what happened.

Sadly this did not look like a good pressing candidate as the spine was already weak due to the split at the top. Whoever the pressing company was should have at least told you it is not a good idea to press the book. Hopefully it is not too big of a financial hit for you.

That being said, I think if you hold the book, it will catch up with what you paid. The colors are bright and there is no marvel chipping.

Sadly this did not look like a good pressing candidate as the spine was already weak due to the split at the top. Whoever the pressing company was should have at least told you it is not a good idea to press the book. Hopefully it is not too big of a financial hit for you.

That being said, I think if you hold the book, it will catch up with what you paid. The colors are bright and there is no marvel chipping.

+1

The book presents really well.

I hope the pressing service learned from this experience as well.

I would hope that since they offer the service they should know what they are doing and upon receipt of a book that looks fragile that they in the future will contact the owner and caution against the pressing and at the very least come clean and advise the owner that after pressing the book's cover has split and ask if you still want it encapsulated?

Sorry that happened.

The pressing service is covered by their disclaimer, but in my opinion, they shouldn't have pressed that book--mainly because it wasn't going to get much of a bump and the risk wasn't worth it.

I’m sorry about this… :(

Said this, I don’t know how pressing works, but SA (and older) books with a minimal tanning (which means the paper has somewhat degraded) are so delicate that I would never handle them harshly, let alone process them to flat out creasing.

I would have kept the book as it was and retried to sell it, if you were no longer intentioned to keep it.

In this state, I would deslab it and have the cover restored/reattached. I know there is paranoia about restoration, but a book with a loose cover is something annoying to handle…

There is no question that the pressing service should have brought the risk to the customer's attention before pressing the book. It shocks me that they would press a book worth around $6000 with substantial risk of it going down in grade before calling the customer to make sure they wanted to proceed. From the looks of it, the book would have benefited minimally from the press (if at all) but had a huge risk factor with a split spine.

It is scary to think that you need to pick the "pre-screen" service to get them to pay attention to what they are doing. It's like they have a zombie at a press not looking at what the book is....just an assembly line. The customer should not really be expected to know what book is or isn't a risk or what is involved in the pressing process. I like how the process is a "trade secret", yet you are supposed to be able to tell if your book will be damaged by the process. As far as I am concerned this particular pressing service has lost all credibility.

Ah, and I do agree with Doug that in some way the presser should have advised you by word of mouth (not just the disclaimer on the site) that the process was dangerous on a delicate book. (shrug)

+1

The presser is the expert, not the customer.

I went to one of the reputable presser's website and I found that brown or brittle cover or pages are only considered as "bad" defect that can't be removed by pressing. Further, just below that they were claiming that low grade comics are also excellent candidate for pressing.

I didn't see a disclaimer saying "brittle comics with split spine should not be pressed due to the following reasons..." They may have a disclaimer somewhere in their website but I don't think the "common man" would be able to immediately see this and help himself make an informed decision.