• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torn about this AF15

156 posts in this topic

There is no question that the pressing service should have brought the risk to the customer's attention before pressing the book. It shocks me that they would press a book worth around $6000 with substantial risk of it going down in grade before calling the customer to make sure they wanted to proceed. From the looks of it, the book would have benefited minimally from the press (if at all) but had a huge risk factor with a split spine.

It is scary to think that you need to pick the "pre-screen" service to get them to pay attention to what they are doing. It's like they have a zombie at a press not looking at what the book is....just an assembly line. The customer should not really be expected to know what book is or isn't a risk or what is involved in the pressing process. I like how the process is a "trade secret", yet you are supposed to be able to tell if your book will be damaged by the process. As far as I am concerned this particular pressing service has lost all credibility.

I respectfully disagree with that statement.If you have a book worth several thousands of dollars,you make it a point to know the process.Or just don't swim in that pool.

Personally I choose not to swim.

There is no question that the pressing service should have brought the risk to the customer's attention before pressing the book. It shocks me that they would press a book worth around $6000 with substantial risk of it going down in grade before calling the customer to make sure they wanted to proceed. From the looks of it, the book would have benefited minimally from the press (if at all) but had a huge risk factor with a split spine.

It is scary to think that you need to pick the "pre-screen" service to get them to pay attention to what they are doing. It's like they have a zombie at a press not looking at what the book is....just an assembly line. The customer should not really be expected to know what book is or isn't a risk or what is involved in the pressing process. I like how the process is a "trade secret", yet you are supposed to be able to tell if your book will be damaged by the process. As far as I am concerned this particular pressing service has lost all credibility.

I respectfully disagree with that statement.If you have a book worth several thousands of dollars,you make it a point to know the process.Or just don't swim in that pool.

+1

You ask all the right questions and read all the disclaimers. I've been planning to have a book restored and I noticed right away in the paperwork that it does indeed mention that my book may get ruined by accident.

I'd be curious to see how prominent their disclaimer is. Due diligence is of course the responsibility of the customer, but a simple communication from what I hope is an experienced presser could have avoided quite a bit of heartache. I hope they appreciate that he is not publicly naming them.

But like oakman says, you gambled and lost. Just like resubbing, it's a legitimate risk.

That sucks, nobody wants to be a cautionary tale.

This is a fair point and I certainly would, but that doesn't change the fact that good customer service dictates a call. I'm not saying that the company should pay for the damage or anything since they do have a disclaimer but what I am saying is that this company is terrible.

This is the difference between a good service and a bad one.

It's a trade secret is it not? Maybe the victim should have bought a presser and practice on hundreds of $1 books until he completely understands the process that these commercial pressing companies employs.

It's a trade secret is it not? Maybe the victim should have bought a presser and practice on hundreds of $1 books until he completely understands the process that these commercial pressing companies employs.

Or maybe he could have skipped the press, and just walked that baby right over to CGC as is. Staples intact. 2c

This is a fair point and I certainly would, but that doesn't change the fact that good customer service dictates a call. I'm not saying that the company should pay for the damage or anything since they do have a disclaimer but what I am saying is that this company is terrible.

Good service and bad service wasn't the point in your statement,the point was that the customer be expected to know the risks to a book during the pressing process.You don't need to know the "trade secrets" of pressing to know that a split spine close to the staple could in fact pop at any given time,do you?

Look I'm not pro pressing,in fact I am against it to the point of believing that it is restoration.I don't condone the fact that the presser shouldn't have mentioned it to the customer,but you also have to think for a moment that maybe the customer should have the common sense to know a thing or two about it as well?

Or maybe he could have skipped the press, and just walked that baby right over to CGC as is. Staples intact. 2c

:idea:

Good service and bad service wasn't the point in your statement,the point was that the customer be expected to know the risks to a book during the pressing process.You don't need to know the "trade secrets" of pressing to know that a split spine close to the staple could in fact pop at any given time,do you?

Look I'm not pro pressing,in fact I am against it to the point of believing that it is restoration.I don't condone the fact that the presser shouldn't have mentioned it to the customer,but you also have to think for a moment that maybe the customer should have the common sense to know a thing or two about it as well?

I agree with you that it is in the customer's best interest to know a bit about it, I just don't think he should be required to know any more about it than is within the disclaimer on the website. Without having personally pressed some books, how would the customer really know what can and cannot handle a press? It would be a guess.

Personally, I know more than enough about pressing to know that I wouldn't even think of getting the book pressed. Knowing what I do about pressing is what shocks me that a "pro" would attempt to press the book. It just feels almost negligent that they would press it, pre-screen or not.

I agree with you that it is in the customer's best interest to know a bit about it, I just don't think he should be required to know any more about it than is within the disclaimer on the website. Without having personally pressed some books, how would the customer really know what can and cannot handle a press? It would be a guess.

Personally, I know more than enough about pressing to know that I wouldn't even think of getting the book pressed. Knowing what I do about pressing is what shocks me that a "pro" would attempt to press the book. It just feels almost negligent that they would press it, pre-screen or not.

Maybe what I'm saying ,just so you "get this". Is maybe the customer should know,not so much about the pressing process but a little about the book he submits. hm

We are almost on the same page. :)

Maybe what I'm saying ,just so you "get this". Is maybe the customer should know,not so much about the pressing process but a little about the book he submits. hm

Should and expected are two different things. I agree with should. I do not agree with expected. IMHO, the company is expected to do right by it's customer. Maybe its just me, but I like to do business with high quality companies that put value in doing right by their customers.

It's not OK for them to press a book worth that kind with such neglect. It's not a $5 book. Did they think the customer wanted a book with a detached cover? It just blows my mind is all.

Should and expected are two different things. I agree with should. I do not agree with expected. IMHO, the company is expected to do right by it's customer. Maybe its just me, but I like to do business with high quality companies that put value in doing right by their customers.

It's not OK for them to press a book worth that kind with such neglect. It's not a $5 book. Did they think the customer wanted a book with a detached cover? It just blows my mind is all.

Okay.I tried,but.....

What he "the owner of the book" should have done is "not press the book".why you ask? " because it was split at the spine,and would have popped if the wind blew on it".

The owner of the book"hopefully" read the disclaimer prior to submitting the book,no?

But went ahead and wanted the service anyway,right!

I have no clue which service was used but I do know CCS offers a QuickPress (which is cheaper than the press service). The QuickPress puts the burden on the submitter to determine if it is good candidate. From their website -

"CCS does not offer its Screening service for QuickPress. As a result, please take care not to submit books with low page quality or weak staple areas."

Again I throw this out as an example and if the submitter used this or a SIMILAR service then the presser did little or no screening prior to pressing,

We agree that it is the customers best interest to learn about pressing. I could be wrong here, but I don't think there was any disclaimer there other than the grade could decrease. This is why I say they are not responsible. They still have a moral obligation to let the customer know that pressing the book could cause major damage. It is just the right thing to do. That is my whole argument.

I have no clue which service was used but I do know CCS offers a QuickPress (which is cheaper than the press service). The QuickPress puts the burden on the submitter to determine if it is good candidate. From their website -

"CCS does not offer its Screening service for QuickPress. As a result, please take care not to submit books with low page quality or weak staple areas."

Again I throw this out as an example and if the submitter used this or a SIMILAR service then the presser did little or no screening prior to pressing,

But it sounds like it would have been a walkthrough anyway. In that case the fee is waived so I assume they would do it anyway. You shouldn't have to pay a pro $5 extra to not destroy your high end book.

We agree that it is the customers best interest to learn about pressing. I could be wrong here, but I don't think there was any disclaimer there other than the grade could decrease. This is why I say they are not responsible. They still have a moral obligation to let the customer know that pressing the book could cause major damage. It is just the right thing to do. That is my whole argument.

Of course he should have,maybe he did? And the owner wanted it done anyway,guess we'll never know. :eyeroll:

I guess common sense really ISN'T so common after all. :eyeroll:

Not particularly relevant but I saw an AF 15 at a show go from a 6.5 to a 5.5 with a press

Needless to say the presser was extremely upset

We rejoice when a press gives us a good result

We cry if it goes very bad, we really do want our cake and eat it

Sorry the book got damaged, still, nice looking book

Sorry to hear about the damage to the book. Pressing has risks and no guarantee of a higher grade. I compare pressing to flipping homes. You should not do it but there are those who do. Some succeed, some fail. Sorry again for the loss.