• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torn about this AF15

156 posts in this topic

I have no clue which service was used but I do know CCS offers a QuickPress (which is cheaper than the press service). The QuickPress puts the burden on the submitter to determine if it is good candidate. From their website -

"CCS does not offer its Screening service for QuickPress. As a result, please take care not to submit books with low page quality or weak staple areas."

Again I throw this out as an example and if the submitter used this or a SIMILAR service then the presser did little or no screening prior to pressing,

But it sounds like it would have been a walkthrough anyway. In that case the fee is waived so I assume they would do it anyway. You shouldn't have to pay a pro $5 extra to not destroy your high end book.

The fee is waived if using CCS (which I wasn't aware of). Again, I am just throwing this out if the presser (whoever it was) had a similar service or disclaimer which puts the burden on the submitter to ensure the book is a good candidate.

The fee is waived if using CCS (which I wasn't aware of). Again, I am just throwing this out if the presser (whoever it was) had a similar service or disclaimer which puts the burden on the submitter to ensure the book is a good candidate.

Store credit is nice but it really doesn't 'compensate' the submitter.

Bob, my post was only wondering if the presser does screen prior to pressing or has something similar to CCS where the burden for good pressing candidates is on the submitter.

Looking back at CCS services, I note that the max value for QuickPress is $200 so this wasn't even an option if that was the service used. My error for throwing this out there.

Bob, my post was only wondering if the presser does screen prior to pressing or has something similar to CCS where the burden for good pressing candidates is on the submitter.

Looking back at CCS services, I note that the max value for QuickPress is $200 so this wasn't even an option if that was the service used. My error for throwing this out there.

Yeah, I can almost guarantee this wasn't a CCS press job. Although I do press some of my own stuff I've used Matt on a couple higher value books that I felt needed his expertise. The submitter would have gotten a call.

Has it been established whether or not the grade was even impacted by the detached cover?
It looks like it dropped .5, most likely 1.0 as a result of the detached cover/increased spine split. I'm not putting much stock into the original Metro grade, the drop estimate is my guess.

Pressing is a gamble sometimes you win sometimes you lose. But in this case the OP should have been advised by the presser not to roll the dice, and unless he is brand new to pressing he should have known this was not a good canidate.

Like someone said this book may have been a 2.5 at best no way I see this as a 3.0. It sucks but it is a lesson that we all learn unfortunatley he learned on a big money book.

Yeah, I can almost guarantee this wasn't a CCS press job. Although I do press some of my own stuff I've used Matt on a couple higher value books that I felt needed his expertise. The submitter would have gotten a call.

I've sent books to Matt that he's rejected saying, "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" Something like that.

Pressing is a gamble sometimes you win sometimes you lose. But in this case the OP should have been advised by the presser not to roll the dice, and unless he is brand new to pressing he should have known this was not a good canidate.

Like someone said this book may have been a 2.5 at best no way I see this as a 3.0. It sucks but it is a lesson that we all learn unfortunatley he learned on a big money book.

The most valuable lessons are usually the toughest ones we learn. :(

Joe mentioned people wanting to have their cake and eating it too and I agree that we can't have a win-win all the time. If the world worked that way we'd never appreciate what we have and actually earn.

I agree that the presser should have notified the submitter about the possibility of damage but every presser I have ever used has always notified me about the risks. I also know that life gets busy and small but significant details can get missed from time to time. This is possibly just one of those things that may have been overlooked, or the person doing the job made the assumption that the OP already knew about the risks.

I wouldn't rake the presser over the coals on this one unless they have a habit of misleading people.

And again, is it definitive that the pressing process damage the book? It is VERY possible that the book was also damaged in transit. I've seen that many times with fragile books. You take a risk every time a book is handled.

below is a word-for-word email reply from the owner of the pressing service, I left out the pleasantries and closing.

"Regarding the cover coming loose on the AF #15, we have a disclaimer on the website that discusses pressing fragile or tanned books, and how there is a possibility of staples popping in those situations. We recommend not submitting books that could be fragile, and if there is doubt, to check off the screening service so I can examine the book beforehand. Since the book was not previously CGC graded nor screened, there was no way to tell after the fact how the cover became detached. I also noticed the chipping to the edges and a spine split in the pictures, which would put the book close to 2.0 regardless of the detached cover."

By the OP post above the presser says because the OP didn’t check off the box for a pre-screen he never examined the book before hand, did he examine it after?

Does this mean that if a customer does not check the prescreen box this presser does not look at his work or check the work for any kind of damage during or after the press?

Does it simply go down a production line and gets pressed by some zombie in the production line and then given the final press with the book closed (or how ever they do it) and the book is never looked at, packaged and shipped off to CGC?

Is the book ever opened or checked, quality control, etc before shipping?

Pre-screen or no pre-screen, someone should have looked at the book before proceeding with the steps it takes to press a book and likewise after the press is done. Common sense quality control function of this type of service I would think.

The pressers statement above tells me he never even looked at the book, come on" this is a AF15 were talking about, somebody there must have looked at it.

Could the zombie have pressed the cover off the book and kept quiet? I guess.

Could they have received it with a detached cover? I don't know, I find it hard to believe a cover shaking of the book from shipping, but I would think the presser would know right away if they press the book open first, probably easier to press a book with the cover detached.

Looks like some production methods/quality control issues and zombie accountability is lacking :)

Most pressing services "pre-screen" is is a grade check before submission to CGC. Having a pre-screen to see if a book is too fragile to be pressed is insane. That should just be part of the service.

Most pressing services "pre-screen" is is a grade check before submission to CGC. Having a pre-screen to see if a book is too fragile to be pressed is insane. That should just be part of the service.

Yep

Should you have to check other boxes-'don't throw across room' 'don't wipe up spills with this book'

Yep

Should you have to check other boxes-'don't throw across room' 'don't wipe up spills with this book'

'Don't toss into ravine' :roflmao:

Yep

lol

I have had customers send me books that are a sneeze away from the cover being detached or having a complete spine split. In a few instances the jostling they received in the mail finished the spine split or popped the staples. It happens, especially if the book slides around in the bag,and is not secure when it is packed in the box. I always take pictures of books like these as I take them out of the box to alert the submitter that the book was damaged before it got to me. In most cases iris just mailed back without having any work done to it, in some it is sent on to CGC. Not every book is a good book to press. You have to weight the advantages vs. the disadvantages.

A book can be damaged anywhere along the trail on its way to encapsulation.

Shipping to CGC or a pressing company.

Shipping from the pressing company to CGC. (That's why I drive the books).

While the package is being opened at CGC.

While the book is being reviewed for restoration or having its pages counted.

In between grading and encapsulation.

Unless you have pictures or confirmation along each of these steps there is no way to tell where the damage occurred.

It's clearly stated at CCS that prescreen is an option at additional charge. Not sure where the submitter went to but judging by the response the prescreening there was also optional and at an extra charge. If you're submitting a high grade book such as a 9.0 or 9.2 you obviously won't use the prescreen. Also some people are willing to roll the dice in hopes of getting a better grade.

I wouldn't put so much blame on the presser; their job is to press an AF15 or an ASM 292 all the same. Saying they didn't treat it correctly isn't fair just because it's an AF 15. Let's face it the raw book has LOTS of problems, it's no surprise to anyone the cover became detached.

Unless you have pictures or confirmation along each of these steps there is no way to tell where the damage occurred.

Terrific post and points that I've repeatedly stressed over the years.

While being pressed at the presser. just wanted it to be a fair list :baiting:

While damage could happen anywhere along the way, I think it is pretty clear that it happened during pressing here. The email doesn't deny it either. Just that he didn't check off the "please don't destroy my book" box. The spine split further and both staples became detached.

For the record, Joey is the only one I would send my books to. He is always up front about the risks with a given book ahead of time and doesn't make you pay $5 extra for him to pay attention to his job (thumbs u

While damage could happen anywhere along the way, I think it is pretty clear that it happened during pressing here. The email doesn't deny it either. Just that he didn't check off the "please don't destroy my book" box. The spine split further and both staples became detached.

For the record, Joey is the only one I would send my books to. He is always up front about the risks with a given book ahead of time and doesn't make you pay $5 extra for him to pay attention to his job (thumbs u

Pretty clear? hm