• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torn about this AF15

156 posts in this topic

Pressing is a gamble and can cause the grade to drop due to damage. It's a possibility. The OP should have known this and paid for the pre-screening for extra assurance. The business is quite clear about this. I think it's unfortunate, but ultimately this was the OP's fault.

Matt Nelson: "I did look at the book beforehand and determined it was safe to press."

So paying for the screen would have made no difference.

Both Nelson and Metro (who sold him the book) thought the book was safe to press. Turns out they were wrong, but it wasn't foolish of the OP to have had the book pressed.

Pressing is a gamble and can cause the grade to drop due to damage. It's a possibility. The OP should have known this and paid for the pre-screening for extra assurance. The business is quite clear about this. I think it's unfortunate, but ultimately this was the OP's fault.

Matt Nelson: "I did look at the book beforehand and determined it was safe to press."

Both Nelson and Metro (who sold him the book) thought the book was safe to press. Turns out they were wrong, but it wasn't foolish of the OP to have had the book pressed.

If only we knew for CERTAIN that the press caused the staple pops.....

Well, Matt pre-screened the book and determined it was safe. Doesn't that mean the cover was attached (shrug)

Either way, he should know for sure if he remembers the pre-screen.

Well, Matt pre-screened the book and determined it was safe. Doesn't that mean the cover was attached (shrug)

Either way, he should know for sure if he remembers the pre-screen.

Matt? :popcorn:

So even the two experts got it wrong. Two experts with decades of experience.

Really I can`t blame the OP. Two experts told him it was safe to press.

Pick your poison. CGC monopoly or PGX. PGX screw over is just a little cheaper.

The CGC monopoly is at an end. :gossip:

:popcorn:

Maybe... maybe not.

It will be a delicate balance that he has to keep. The longevity of any other company will depend on how the market responds to a CGC and another company's book at auction at the same grade and page quality while the books look identical. Sad to say, but I think the litmus will be when we see another company's New Mutant's 98 in a 9.8 vs a CGC NM98 in a 9.8. It cannot be anything like an ASM129 or Hulk 181 where some may point to a slight miswrap as a defect. It will have to be a book that when graded a 9.8 usually looks the part. If the CGC book continually commands more money at auction, then people MAY start to abandon sending in high grade books to any other company but CGC.

Maybe... maybe not.

It will be a delicate balance that he has to keep. The longevity of any other company will depend on how the market responds to a CGC and another company's book at auction at the same grade and page quality while the books look identical. Sad to say, but I think the litmus will be when we see another company's New Mutant's 98 in a 9.8 vs a CGC NM98 in a 9.8. It cannot be anything like an ASM129 or Hulk 181 where some may point to a slight miswrap as a defect. It will have to be a book that when graded a 9.8 usually looks the part. If the CGC book continually commands more money at auction, then people MAY start to abandon sending in high grade books to any other company but CGC.

Good point.

2011 they're putting books that look like a truck ran over them into 7.0s same book won't break 5.0 now. It's a broken and screwed cycle. Majority of my purchases are raw books now. In the fn - v/vf with defects that are on my tolerable list.

Maybe... maybe not.

Very true. Right now it seems unslabbed books command a slight premium to PGX books