• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FYI - Harley's Catalog

83 posts in this topic

Thanks for the FYI POV. Too bad most of his hg inventory is grossly overpriced. foreheadslap.gif

Well, haven't really perused but I think it is an important catalogue simply for the breadth of it. But you CAN haggle with Harley - I always do - and he WILL discount things. So if there is something of interest give it a shot. If it don;t work out - confused-smiley-013.gif

(I can't believe I had to recommend to haggle over prices. What is this place coming too? crazy.gif)

(I can't believe I had to recommend to haggle over prices. What is this place coming too? crazy.gif)

I'm not much of a haggler. Don't like doing it either. Usually I just pass if I think the price too high... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I'm not much of a haggler. Don't like doing it either. Usually I just pass if I think the price too high... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

thumbsup2.gif

I think his prices are high also, but he does seem to stay in business, so someone is buying from him.

Also, I bought a book from him once, from a CBG ad, he didn't know who I was. He mailed me the book BEFORE I even sent him payment so I could "approve" it; it wasn't even a real expensive book. That kind of customer service will build you a pretty loyal following.

I am not sure why a dealer would be referred to as a Cheap SOB because he didn't haggle to your price level? Could it be that maybe he doesn't want to sell the book at that price and that he has a say in the matter also?

This is not directed at you, I am wondering why collectors always get upset when a dealer doesn't agree to your price?

I am not sure why a dealer would be referred to as a Cheap SOB because he didn't haggle to your price level? Could it be that maybe he doesn't want to sell the book at that price and that he has a say in the matter also?

This is not directed at you, I am wondering why collectors always get upset when a dealer doesn't agree to your price?

dealers sometimes don't agree to my offers so i just say oh well and move on. If the book is still there a month later, i might try again or 90% of the time, it will be up on ebay or at a show or on some other site. I don't get mad at the dealer, they can sell them or not sell them. they own the book(s).

what sometimes is strange is that dealers will let the book sit for months rather than try oto negotiate a deal.

sign-rantpost.gif

dealers sometimes don't agree to my offers so i just say oh well and move on. If the book is still there a month later, i might try again or 90% of the time, it will be up on ebay or at a show or on some other site. I don't get mad at the dealer, they can sell them or not sell them. they own the book(s).

what sometimes is strange is that dealers will let the book sit for months rather than try oto negotiate a deal.

sign-rantpost.gif

It's even stranger when a dealer sells a book to another "dealer" for less than what he paid.

sign-rantpost.gif

The same reason dealers get upset when a collector decides not to buy their book that is marked at five times guide (or more).

Everyone has a price. A price they will pay, or a price they will sell for.

Why do dealers have a problem trying to come to a price that both sides can agree on?

It's not like collectors are stupid. They see the "I BUY YOUR BOOKS FOR 25-50% OF GUIDE!" ads that dealers throw out.

Oh woe is the life of a comic dealer. We pay pennies on the dollar for comics, and people have the nerve to bicker over our asking price.

Boo Hoo. Oh, Boo Hoo Hoo. sorry.gif

Bob, that was not directed at you personally. gossip.gif

Keep in mind that there are some books that a dealer will simply not find another copy of in the grade they have it in. For such a book, it is probably more desirable to wait a longer time for a potential buyer at an aggressive price than to sell the book quickly at a lower price.

I buy plenty of books from Harley, only mostly at shows and no longer through his catalog. He often has books that I am unable to find in the grade I'm seeking from anyone else. At shows, I get to see his raw material and make decisions accordingly. I agree that his prices are less attractive for sight-unseen catalog purchases, although I think he is a solid grader.

I would agree that Harley's prices are aggressive, but I think he is worth it. He's a good grader, has nice books, and most importantly, has integrity as a dealer. He's also a pretty nice guy. I have only bought at a show from him, but I'm confident that if I ever had an issue with books purchased via mail order, he would resolve any problems quickly and professionally.

The same could be said for our fellow forumite dealers, blazingbob and qualitycomix. While it's possible that I may try to negotiate a package price or small discount, I would feel comfortable paying a little more from these guys because they are the real deal.

As someone who moonlights every few months selling at single day shows in the area, I can understand why dealers can only afford to pay X percentage of guide, or why they may be unwilling to accept offers on certain books. A successful dealer must carry a broad inventory of comics, and has to be able to afford to sit on less desirable books for long periods of time until the one guy who is just burning to own that copy comes along. A very small percentage of their inventory has truly immediate liquidity. They need to maximize their profits on hotter books to remain solvent and to keep the bulk of their stock fresh. I also believe in their right to make a nice living, as long as they do it with honesty and professionalism.

Just my 2 cents,

-Jim