• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

I can't believe Zanadu Comics is asking for 80 grand I think at that point it's time to re-evaluate what you're doing and how you're approaching it. I will say their location is most likely part of the problem. They are located in the heart of downtown Seattle where there is little to no parking so they are dependant mostly on foot traffic which that and of itself is problematic since they are on a block that doesn't have many other shops to lure people in and most of the people walking buy are homeless people and crackheads. I generally don't like going over there because of the people hanging around outside on that block are sketch to say it nicely and I can bet most people who are into comics aren't going to want to deal with that.

Edited by trinitynzxt

I can't believe Zanadu Comics is asking for 80 grand I think at that point it's time to re-evaluate what you're doing and how you're approaching it. I will say their location is most likely part of the problem. They are located in the heart of downtown Seattle where there is little to no parking so they are dependant mostly on foot traffic which that and of itself is problematic since they are on a block that doesn't have many other shops to lure people in and most of the people walking buy are homeless people and crackheads. I generally don't like going over there because of the people hanging around outside that block are sketch to say it nicely and I can bet most people who are into comics aren't going to want to deal with that.

Additionally, you're relying on foot traffic in the rainiest city in America, meaning less window shopping, buying less if you happen to buy anything because you don't want to carry it in the rain, and not buying big or valuable stuff because you don't want it to get wet and can't carry it too far. Also one of the more 'high-tech' cities in America, so people are more likely to read on a digital device.

I think a lot of start up guys tend to be reaching. If your PC is part of your inventory, you probably arent ready to be a store. That's what I saw in some of the ones that opened in my area...

It depends on your start up circumstances. Realistically, PCs are the easiest way to stock back issue inventory. I saw it happen here with the store that is the best for comics in town in the mid 90s. The three owners were employees at another LCS that decided to strike out on their own. They picked a great location, but the biggest draw to get things going was putting their PCs in as initial back issue inventory. Nice Marvel and DC SA to current runs (including almost all of the big keys) always attract attention. If you are relying on files to get up and running, it is difficult to get things going as it takes time to attract file customers.

Another question is how many of the struggling newer LCSs do not offer card games? It is tough to survive without Magic and other gaming revenue now.

Another question is how many of the struggling newer LCSs do not offer card games? It is tough to survive without Magic and other gaming revenue now.

I understand having Magic and other games at shops...but sometimes it seems like they use this revenue as a crutch and neglect their comic selection, specifically with back issues. They gotta carry what brings them the most profit...but I rarely find any good stuff (i.e. early bronze/silver age; golden age is non existent at shops :( ) at the the 4 locals in my area (l live in a capital city). And if I do find them...the prices are cringe worthy. For example, one shop put a Batman #239 in their glass case. Its beat to hell...maybe a 3.5 at best. Price tag is $80. :facepalm:

I'm a whiner. I just wish I could find more of what I'm looking for locally.

I think a lot of start up guys tend to be reaching. If your PC is part of your inventory, you probably arent ready to be a store. That's what I saw in some of the ones that opened in my area...

Why is that? Depends on the collection. You say you have 35-40,000 comics sitting around. My guess is I have 25-30,000. Probably 50-150 boardies here are in a similar situation. Sounds like either would be a pretty serious start to a store inventory. Now, it's true, there is stuff I just don't have any of because they aren't books I buy, but then again, I don't think a lot of those books sells as back issues anyway. I go to midtown and I know a huge chunk of what they have out is just never going to sell.

So far $9.99 a month, maybe less, you have virtually unlimited access to back issue reading and get all the new stuff, albeit six months late? That's less than the price of 3 new comics a month.

That's a lot cheaper than getting the whole marvel output 6 months later every month out of the dollar box. Plus you never need to buy a TPB.

How many people are signed up for this?

To me, this sounds like suicide for Marvel.

Even producing comics just for a digital market, could this possibly bring in enough revenue? True, we're probaly talking about likely fewer than 100,000 people nowadays who are regularly buying a decent # of Marvel floppies. A few more if you include people like me who buy them a couple of months later out of the cheap box?

I don't think most of us are shocked by that article. It was just a matter of time speculators can only float the market for so long.

We need some new talent at the top. Marvel needs a new "Jim Shooter" and so does DC. Their parent companies don't care so it shouldn't be that hard to find them.

My LCS many years ago got into a heated phone call with Bill Jemas and then later got a phone call from Isaac Pearlmutter discussing the comic market at the time.

Overall comics are bad currently. I don't even pick up anything from Marvel currently. DC rebirth hasn't been the huge hit I hoped for. Image books have some hit and misses, but seems like more misses.

Sales on core books are way down which some attributing to TPB sales.

Card sales are the only thing keeping one of my local shops in business I think.

So far $9.99 a month, maybe less, you have virtually unlimited access to back issue reading and get all the new stuff, albeit six months late? That's less than the price of 3 new comics a month.

That's a lot cheaper than getting the whole marvel output 6 months later every month out of the dollar box. Plus you never need to buy a TPB.

Even producing comics just for a digital market, could this possibly bring in enough revenue? True, we're probaly talking about likely fewer than 100,000 people nowadays who are regularly buying a decent # of Marvel floppies. A few more if you include people like me who buy them a couple of months later out of the cheap box?

It's actually less than $6/mo if you get the annual subscription. Suicide? Depends on how many subscribers they can attract and keep. Just look at last month's Loot Crate effect on some obscure title I can't even remember the name of.

Server upkeep is probably cheaper than printing reprints and trades. And that's a more or less guaranteed $6-10/mo (minus credit card fees). No cut to Diamond or retailers.

Edited by aerischan

It's actually less than $6/mo if you get the annual subscription. Suicide? Depends on how many subscribers they can attract and keep. Server upkeep is probably cheaper than printing reprints and trades. And that's a more or less guaranteed $6-10/mo (minus credit card fees). No cut to Diamond or retailers.

Also... I actually order Marvel Unlimited. I mean... I probably shouldn't, because most of what I read I find to be A) terrible, or B) sad, but at that price, it's easier to justify it.

To summarize, I'm absolutely not buying any of their actual books, but they're still getting some of my money.

Also... I actually order Marvel Unlimited. I mean... I probably shouldn't, because most of what I read I find to be A) terrible, or B) sad, but at that price, it's easier to justify it.

To summarize, I'm absolutely not buying any of their actual books, but they're still getting some of my money.

Yep this. And inertia is a big thing, too, once they get people to subscribe. Some folks won't bother cancelling the subscription given the relatively cheap price. I know people paying $$$ in cellphone bills who haven't bothered switching carriers or even cheaper plans within the same carrier due to inertia.

Besides, how much of the cover price does Marvel actually get to keep? Jim Zub posted the following estimated breakdown for his creator-owned comic ($3.50 cover).

PieChart-Wayward10.png

Pretend Marvel gets $1.60 (40%) for every issue sold inclusive of printing costs. At $69 per year and 3% credit card processing fee, if Marvel can get just 100,000 Marvel Unlimited subscribers, that revenue would be roughly equivalent to selling ~350,000 comics per month. At $9.99 per month with 100k subscribers, that's ~600,000 comics (albeit greater flight risk). And this is for back issues so more akin to trades than new releases.

Let's not forget the value of having records of and instant access to a customer's comic reading habits. This information isn't just for Marvel, it's probably a lot more valuable to Disney.

Loot Crate has around 600,000 subscribers. Netflix ~45 million and Amazon Prime ~63 million. Apple has sold 338 million iPads since launch. I don't know anyone who doesn't own a smartphone. Individual comics sales for digital may be dwarfed by print but I reckon an eat all you can subscription service ala-Netflix has the potential to make pretty good money for DC and Marvel (given extensive backlists for which they own the IP). Not so much for smaller publishers and creator-owned content.

Unfortunately, it's cutting out the middleman (Diamond and retailers) from the equation.

Edited by aerischan

Mother Panic was at over 40,000 copies and I didn't hear a peep about it.

My order from Comic Cartel which includes Mother Panic #1 finally arrived after a 2-month wait (for an in-stock item!). I just wanted their Cartel box but after this experience, never again.

Anyway, story seems interesting but I'm not a fan of the art. I've got issues 2-4 already preordered from the LCS but I think I'll probably remove this from the pull list pending a read of iss #2 (just released yesterday).