• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, ygogolak said:

X-O Manowar goes from 60k for #1 to 20k for #2. I think that's a good indication of readership and what a high incentive cover can do for sales.

Isn't this a little unfair since #2 is ordered before shops know sales or actual readership of #1?

Obviously #1 sales were inflated because of incentives, but to drop off that far doesn't speak to the quality or reception of a book that wasn't in hand yet.

8 hours ago, ParamagicFF said:

Isn't this a little unfair since #2 is ordered before shops know sales or actual readership of #1?

Obviously #1 sales were inflated because of incentives, but to drop off that far doesn't speak to the quality or reception of a book that wasn't in hand yet.

That could be said for any book. I think it's a pretty fair evaluation.

If there are actually anywhere near 20,000 readers for the new X-O series (who don't wait for the trade), that would be insanely good for Valiant.  Few of their titles sell 10,000 monthly... and some are closer to 5,000.

Trades are a very big seller for Valiant, but the focus is on the monthlies.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

If there are actually anywhere near 20,000 readers for the new X-O series (who don't wait for the trade), that would be insanely good for Valiant.  Few of their titles sell 10,000 monthly... and some are closer to 5,000.

Trades are a very big seller for Valiant, but the focus is on the monthlies.

Hopefully people are catching on to it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Kindt readers came over for this release. His writing coupled with the announced art team seems like a no-brainer. 

16 hours ago, ParamagicFF said:

Iirc, #1 was also returnable so that probably had some retailers ordering a lot. I wonder how they're counting the X-O Manowar #1-3 Preorder Bundle. I preordered the bundle so even if I'm getting #2, I didn't order/pay for it in April.

That said, it's hard for non-established properties to sell. Heck, plenty of DC and Marvel B/C/D-List doing poorly. Rocket Raccoon has a movie that's coming out and its last issue only sold 13K. High quality and critical acclaim is well and good but it's mass appeal that gets the sales.

10 hours ago, aerischan said:

High quality and critical acclaim is well and good but it's mass appeal that gets the sales.

I think that's true of everything.  McDonald's revenue is about $25Billion per year.  Ruth's Chris Steak House makes about $400Million, or around 1.6%.  Looks a lot like the Marvel vs. Valiant ratio. lol

6 hours ago, valiantman said:

I think that's true of everything.  McDonald's revenue is about $25Billion per year.  Ruth's Chris Steak House makes about $400Million, or around 1.6%.  Looks a lot like the Marvel vs. Valiant ratio. lol

That's really not a valid comparison. I can buy Valiant comics wherever I can buy Marvel comics. I can easily walk to the nearest two McDonald's locations (and get to either relatively quickly). I've never even heard of Ruth's Chris Steak House.

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

That's really not a valid comparison. I can buy Valiant comics wherever I can buy Marvel comics. I can easily walk to the nearest two McDonald's locations (and get to either relatively quickly). I've never even heard of Ruth's Chris Steak House.

Only if you already know about Valiant and preorder. I reckon there are many comic shops who don't stock shelf copies of Valiant books and I reckon there are plenty of DC/Marvel readers who have never even heard of the company.

On 5/19/2017 at 6:07 PM, Lazyboy said:

You've never heard of Ruth's Chris?

hm

6 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

The lack of enthusiasm about sales in the past 4 months reflects the current state of the market

Plenty of enthusiasm. People just don't share value appreciation on here anymore. Metal at 260k is a pretty big month.

I use these more to see what isn't selling.

19 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Plenty of enthusiasm. People just don't share value appreciation on here anymore. Metal at 260k is a pretty big month.

I use these more to see what isn't selling.

Agreed.  Amazing Spiderman is selling well (Peter Parker).  Spiderman (Miles Morales)....not so much.  How much longer is Marvel going to force him on us?  If anything, how about a new identity. 

12 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Agreed.  Amazing Spiderman is selling well (Peter Parker).  Spiderman (Miles Morales)....not so much.  How much longer is Marvel going to force him on us?  If anything, how about a new identity. 

Amazing is barely in the top 20. It used to be a #1 or #2 book.

How is any comic "forced" on you? There are 15 Marvel titles just in the top 100 that sold less. So I'm not sure why you picked that one title.