• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transformers #1

50 posts in this topic

I really feel this book is undervalued in the current market. This book is essentially the true debut of the Transformers franchise as we all know it today. Came out before the cartoon by several months, and the toys were going on toy shelves at the same time the comic book series began. Issue 1 came out May 8th 1984, and that first issue laid the foundation for everything since then. First appearances of Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream, and on and on.

The movies have made insane amounts of money(regardless if they're good or not), and they are going to keep coming. The overseas market for Transformers is even bigger than here in the states, which is saying something. China is nuts for Transformers, probably more than any other franchise out there. Face it, these characters will be around for our whole lifetime, they are not a flash in the pan.

Not sure what the print run was on this book back in 84', but I know Marvel wasn't convinced they had a hit because it was a limited series, and it didn't go to an ongoing till 1985. Once the cartoon came out and the toys were selling like crazy, it was an easy decision.

So Transformers 1 is a pretty important comic. In fact, even though the print run is infinitely greater, I'd argue more important than Turtles 1 and they came out the same year.

OP: the comics were just advertising for the toys and TV show. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise 2c

Doesn't change the fact that it's undervalued or less important.

I remember when the 1st movie (the Live-Action not the animation) came out..... a CGC 9.8 was fetching in the mid $600... totally insane....

Transformers are a lot more popular overseas than here in the states... after season three, Japan tried to carry-on the Transformers cartoon with Headmaster and Victory, and then Beast Wars, then Armada and Energon... and so-on

OP: the comics were just advertising for the toys and TV show. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise 2c

Not sure what you mean by this. I think this makes my whole point about it being undervalued because no matter what the comic book was the debut. Of course it became a juggernaut in the toy and cartoon(and now movie) business, but that doesn't take away from the comic book being the first time anywhere we see and meet the characters.

Its worth about the same as GI Joe #1, so the market has spoken. Its a side kick to the toys. When you get true first appearances you get higher value like Turtles and Walking Dead.

Not sure what you mean by "true first appearance"? Transformers 1 is the true first appearance. I think most people think the comic came after the TV show and the toys, but this was not the case.

Transformers #1 was not a "sidekick", it was a "kickoff".

The toys came first. The comic was based on the toys.

Transformers #1 came out May 8th, 1984. The Transformer toyline rolled out(pun intended) spring of 1984. The actual date of the toys being in stores has been said to be early May, and with toys that is not a definite be-all date.

There was a toyfair that showed off some of the toys to vendors in February that year, but nothing that was available to the mass public.

The toys came first. The comic was based on the toys.

Transformers #1 came out May 8th, 1984. The Transformer toyline rolled out(pun intended) spring of 1984. The actual date of the toys being in stores has been said to be early May, and with toys that is not a definite be-all date.

There was a toyfair that showed off some of the toys to vendors in February that year, but nothing that was available to the mass public.

It's all about nostalgia.

More (semi) grown ups have fond memories of hitting their friends over the head with megatron, than sitting reading the comics.

So the toys are more desired than the comics.

It's not a matter of 1st, it's a matter of which was more prevalent and well remembered.

I just sold my copy for net $260. These have been gong on E-Bay for $300-310. That seems like a high value for this book. I don't think it's undervalued at all...

1st appearance of a billion dollar franchise for $300... I think it's on scale if not a little low.

It is interesting...

From my perspective I think the GI Joe community holds the comics in higher regards than the Transformers community holds their respective comics. In the meantime the Transformers franchise as a whole is definitely stronger than GI Joe. Perhaps Joe fans place a higher demand on the comics as they have not had much else in the last decade in the way that the Transformers franchise has offered its fans.

Just some thoughts.

I just sold my copy for net $260. These have been gong on E-Bay for $300-310. That seems like a high value for this book. I don't think it's undervalued at all...

1st appearance of a billion dollar franchise for $300... I think it's on scale if not a little low.

Really...how much is the first appearance of Super Mario or Harry Potter in comics? The fact is, these are toys and the comics were glorified adverts for the toys. The comics mean far less than an actual Gen 1 MOMC toy to collectors...and the prices will always reflect this. The $300 price tag is the peak.

Really...how much is the first appearance of Super Mario or Harry Potter in comics? The fact is, these are toys and the comics were glorified adverts for the toys. The comics mean far less than an actual Gen 1 MOMC toy to collectors...and the prices will always reflect this. The $300 price tag is the peak.

Super Mario and Harry Potter first appearance in mass media wasn't a comic book. Transformers was. People don't seem to grasp that aspect. And the whole comics were just advertising for the toys...it was Jim Shooter and Bob Budiansky who created the concepts, names, and origin of the entire mythos. Those were comic guys that Hasbro gave the reins to. Hasbro had nothing but the idea of transforming robots. I don't think the comics get enough credit or Transformers could have turned into Go-Bots.

It is interesting...

From my perspective I think the GI Joe community holds the comics in higher regards than the Transformers community holds their respective comics. In the meantime the Transformers franchise as a whole is definitely stronger than GI Joe. Perhaps Joe fans place a higher demand on the comics as they have not had much else in the last decade in the way that the Transformers franchise has offered its fans.

Just some thoughts.

Personally I think that is more due to Larry Hama being such a good caretaker of the Joe franchise. He has churned out some fun stories. Transformers doesn't have a G.I. Joe #21 in its comic runs.

Super Mario and Harry Potter first appearance in mass media wasn't a comic book. Transformers was. People don't seem to grasp that aspect. And the whole comics were just advertising for the toys...it was Jim Shooter and Bob Budiansky who created the concepts, names, and origin of the entire mythos. Those were comic guys that Hasbro gave the reins to. Hasbro had nothing but the idea of transforming robots. I don't think the comics get enough credit or Transformers could have turned into Go-Bots.

Exactly! Much like what Hama did for G.I. Joe, Shooter & Budiansky created everything we (TF Fans) love about Transformers.

Although I will say that Transformer fans are all around as to what they like better, be it the comic, cartoon, toys, etc. Personally, it's the comics, with the Marvel run at the top of my list. Yes, they had to introduce characters at Hasbro's wishes, for the most part they were done well.

As for Transformers #1 going for the money it is, I'd say it does seem a little high, but how many copies are NM-M? Mine sure isn't. I read that copy many times over. Plus I don't see the franchise going away anytime soon.