• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Cover So Nice, It Was Published Twice !!!!

35 posts in this topic

My "Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told" Bolland cover from 1988 was re-used for the "75th Anniversary" Joker hardcover that just came out. Saw it at the SDCC. Was very happy they decided to reprint this beautiful image 26 years later.

My "Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told" Bolland cover from 1988 was re-used for the "75th Anniversary" Joker hardcover that just came out. Saw it at the SDCC. Was very happy they decided to reprint this beautiful image 26 years later.

(worship)

(worship)

Thanks, buddy. I think it is considered the best representation/image of the Joker of all time. Not sure what comes close. For the Batman 75th anniversary edition they used the Jim Lee Hush cover. Personally, I think they should have used a Neal Adams image for that.

148877.jpg.34af5d2c0a25fa2e6de27f2587814c33.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]Question:

Do the actual owner of the OA have any right or say in the way the art is used?

Sorry if this has been bring before, I am not familiar with the subject...[/font]

(shrug)

Correct. The license to use it rests with Marvel or DC (or in the case of independents, often with the creator). That being said, I know of many collectors who have managed to get their art (such as a commission) used subsequently as a cover.

Probably should have figured it'd be used again, what with all the Thanos hype these days, but my cover to IG #3 was re-used as the back cover to the TPB currently out. Another nice surprise.

I guess what's old is new again these days, as the old stories keep getting reprinted and they tend to use the old art (thankfully!) rather than commissioning new ones ....

Been a longtime lurker here, finally just signed up to contribute. I like this thread a lot so here's my own modest contribution:

I purchased George Perez's cover to The New Teen Titans Archives HC last year in San Diego from Mike Burkey; it was also used for the cover to the New Teen Titans Omnibus.

Love this cover for its flawless execution of the Titans at their best - and the fact it's been published twice makes it even more enjoyable.

Mike

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1050259&GSub=2828

Speaking of iconic JOKER images, I recently found out that the art used for

the "Death Of Batman - the motion picture" house ad (which ran

in the DC titles in 1994 following Knightfall) was used as the cover

for the trade paperback in some countries, I wonder if I there are more...

Please check the 'additional images' for the various published versions:

http://comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=616764

Cheers,

Gal

This amazing Elephantmen piece originally started out as a commission, which we then ended up using at the program guide cover for last year's Edmonton Expo and it's just been published as the back cover to Elephantmen #56. The black and white version appears in the inside back cover as well! Really stoked to have it published in the actual comic now as well.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1058932

And if keen eyes look close, you can see my last name in one of the street signs. :)