• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, philsbackpack said:

Anyone know if the Dracula reboot from a couple years ago will still be considered the kicking off point for the new Universal Monsters universe?

...or are they going to pretend like that never happened?

From articles I have read, they are treating it as 'outside the Dark Universe' for now. Which is a shame, as for a first-time director it is not a bad movie.

So the launch point for the Dark Universe seems to be The Mummy.

1 hour ago, philsbackpack said:

Anyone know if the Dracula reboot from a couple years ago will still be considered the kicking off point for the new Universal Monsters universe?

...or are they going to pretend like that never happened?

:gossip:

Pretend it never happen. It was a bomb at the box office and should have been called Dracula The Barbarian.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

:gossip:

Pretend it never happen. It was a bomb at the box office and should have been called Dracula The Barbarian.

Yes, had it done well, I'm sure that would have been the case. But since it tanked, it was best to let it "breathe" a little before launching the shared universe.

In my mind, I guess the Universal Monsters were really the first cinematic shared universe, so I don't mind this so much. What I mind is that these movies are probably all going to suck.

Yuch, no thanks. I could care less if they want to make new ones, they will be all modern and not interesting to me. You cant' recreate the look and feel of the old ones and that is what is great about them and why i like them.

Seeing the footage in that behind the scenes video makes me sick. The look and feel of any modern anything I just hate so much. What is with trying to make everything so serious and then so dull and colorless? this new mummy movie looks like all modern superhero movies, so dull and colorless and modern looking. I don't know, I just hate it. I prefer the old stuff that didn't take itself so serious, was just goofy fun, had a style to it that, the acting had a style and wasnt realistic either. I don;t know what it is, but these new movies don't interest me at all

12 hours ago, catman76 said:

Seeing the footage in that behind the scenes video makes me sick. The look and feel of any modern anything I just hate so much. What is with trying to make everything so serious and then so dull and colorless? this new mummy movie looks like all modern superhero movies, so dull and colorless and modern looking. I don't know, I just hate it. I prefer the old stuff that didn't take itself so serious, was just goofy fun, had a style to it that, the acting had a style and wasnt realistic either. I don;t know what it is, but these new movies don't interest me at all

That might be the problem. People might want something different. This Mummy kind of reminds me more of the Brandon Fraiser Mummy.

All might not be lost though because the director Bill Condon of the brillant GODS and MONSTERS movie with Ian McKellen will do the remake of The Bride of Frankenstein.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/05/22/beauty-and-beast-director-bill-condon-to-remake-bride-frankenstein.html

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That might be the problem. People might want something different. This Mummy kind of reminds me more of the Brandon Fraiser Mummy.

I was in the mood for The Mummy ('99) last night. Can't say I want a retread of it in 2017 though. I watched the trailer of it on Get Out last night and see a decent movie, if not original though.

Bought Cat People today (Universal remake of the RKO "classic".) That was made different for the era.

Va-va-voom! lol 

DARK UNIVERSE Will Include Reboots Of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA And THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME

During an interview with Fandom, Kurtzman revealed that Dracula, Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame are also in the works. While we assumed the lord of the vampires would be revisited as some point, the other two are surprises. A modern retelling of Phantom could work quite well, but I'm not sure about The Hunchback!

The director also mentioned some of the actors he'd most like to see nab these roles:

“I’d love to bring Michael Fassbender in, I’d love to bring Jennifer Lawrence in, I’d love to see Charlize Theron in there, Angelina Jolie…”

Ambitious, but they already have quite a bit of star-power as is, and if The Mummy is a success there's no reason to think that this impressive roster of talent won't continue to grow.

So they are going to relaunch Dracula after the results of the last movie.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

DARK UNIVERSE Will Include Reboots Of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA And THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME

So they are going to relaunch Dracula after the results of the last movie.

Dracula needs to be done like Lugosi or Christopher Lee to succeed. Dracula also has to be the center of the Dark Universe to succeed. Dracula would be the perfect villian for the Dark Universe.

On 5/29/2017 at 1:11 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

I was in the mood for The Mummy ('99) last night. Can't say I want a retread of it in 2017 though. I watched the trailer of it on Get Out last night and see a decent movie, if not original though.

Bought Cat People today (Universal remake of the RKO "classic".) That was made different for the era.

Va-va-voom! lol 

I am a tremendous Universal Monster (from the 30s - 40s) fan. While I did like the Frasier MUMMY it  wasn't connected much to the Karloff original. And yeah, this new one looks like a remake of the Frasier one. So I'll wait until it hits a free streaming site like Netflix or Prime or Hulu. 

Interesting observation on CAT PEOPLE. I think Universal really interpreted the RKO original for the times, showing things Lewton and Tourneur probably would have loved to have included but could only hint at. Yet it retained the same feeling as the original. Even in its much more graphic form one gets the same sense of things hidden that the original brought.

Edited by ThatPovGuy
Univewrsal ??? d'oh!

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, catman76 said:

Apparently, dull and colorless is the default for movies these days. Here is an article I read on the topic a few weeks ago:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-annoying-visual-trick-all-films-are-doing-these-days/

So weird!

11 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I could see Phantom of the Opera working pretty well with today's audience. Hunchback I don't know.

Same. I picked up the Maureen O'Hara (Jamaica Inn) Hunchback recently, but other than the lavish sets, it really reeked of familiar and that was the second one ever made on celluloid me thinks. hm 

I'm sorry but casting Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlize Theron or Angelina Jolie in them seems like something Tim Robbins would suggest in Robert Altman's The Player. If anyone has ever watched Svengoolie on Saturday nights know, they should honor the genre by casting the b-movie stars in them along with "fresh" faces.

Personally, I would watch Jennifer Lawrence in Mel Gibson movie directed by Jodie Foster... wait! Bad example! But, this is a prime jumping point for "unknown" stars, that we can care about in familiar franchises. Stunt casting will only give us Keanu Reeves in a Dracula movie or Julia Roberts in a Mr. Hyde movie... wait! Bad example!

52 minutes ago, ThatPovGuy said:

I am a tremendous Univewrsal Monster (from the 30s - 40s) fan. While I did like the Frasier MUMMY it  wasn't connected much to the Karloff original. And yeah, this new one looks like a remake of the Frasier one. So I'll wait until it hits a free streaming site like Netflix or Prime or Hulu. 

Interesting observation on CAT PEOPLE. I think Universal really interpreted the RKO original for the times, showing things Lewton and Tourneur probably would have loved to have included but could only hint at. Yet it retained the same feeling as the original. Even in its much more graphic form one gets the same sense of things hidden that the original brought.

Nastassia Kinski was absolutely purrfect in that movie.

18 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Apparently 'The Mummy' is so bad that it's literally now a trending topic on Twitter with all sorts of critics (who've seen it) and mortals (who haven't) lambasting it.

Worth checking the feed:

https://twitter.com/search?q="The Mummy"&src=tren

Yep,they are killing it.

Also now bombing on RottenTomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_mummy_2017/ 

28%

I kind of figured it wasn't going to be so great. They should just make them real horror films like the Universal Monsters or Hammer Films versions.

This Tom Cruise Mummy should be called Mission Impossible Mummy.

Here is hoping the Bride Of Frankenstein reboot can turn this Dark Universe around like Wonder Woman did to DC.:wishluck: