• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

We've got that set but the transfers look like poop to me. i bought a sealed copy on ebay, but wonder if I got a boot. Need to find a known legit copy for comparison. I wish they'd release the equivalent on Blu-ray. The current Bu-ray set is just a fraction of them.

Well, they released Blu Ray Legacy Collections of Frankenstein and Wolfman last year, and released Legacy Collections of Dracula and Mummy this year. They look beautiful, at least in my experience. So I'd have to imagine that Invisible Man and Creature will hit next year, at which point we'll have all of them! 

I have the British BFI release of the Lon Chaney Phantom of the Opera. The transfer is gorgeous, and it includes a high definition transfer of the original 1925 cut. And it's region free.

phantom-opera-dfe.jpg?itok=_80LEDyB 

Also, The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Man's Revenge, and Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man are available on Region Free French Blu-ray with removable subtitles.

71DycWxUq7L._SY550_.jpg91ognTNewHL._SX522_.jpg 91vRLQyeAgL._SX522_.jpg

19 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I have the British BFI release of the Lon Chaney Phantom of the Opera. The transfer is gorgeous, and it includes a high definition transfer of the original 1925 cut. And it's region free.

phantom-opera-dfe.jpg?itok=_80LEDyB 

Also, The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Man's Revenge, and Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man are available on Region Free French Blu-ray with removable subtitles.

71DycWxUq7L._SY550_.jpg91ognTNewHL._SX522_.jpg 91vRLQyeAgL._SX522_.jpg

Sweet!

Wow! Universal actually had 'Shape of Water' in its grasp, and let it go.

THE SHAPE OF WATER Producer Talks Potentially Joining The DARK UNIVERSE

While speaking to ScreenRant, producer J. Miles Dale talks about their relationship with Universal Monsters and The Dark Universe, and reveals if any talks have taken place: 

“We haven’t really talked about it. I’ve made seven movies for Universal and know and love them well, and they’re doing their own thing now after The Mummy. It’s interesting, Guillermo actually pitched them a version of this movie (The Shape of Water), of a remake of Creature, but I think at a certain point when they heard that the girl and the monster get it on, they were like, ‘OK, here’s your parking validation. You can go now.’ It’s a very strong IP (intellectual property) for them and they’re going to do whatever they want. It’s such a bigger project (for them), but we haven’t really talked about it. I know (Guillermo) has thoughts on all those movies. He’s got thoughts on Frankenstein, he’s had thoughts on Bride, and certainly he’s not going to be remaking Creature from the Black Lagoon now, I feel he’s done his version of that. But we haven’t talked about it and certainly wish them luck.”

Not all hope is lost however, as Dale states the Pan's Labyrinth director sill has "thoughts" about these movies and with Universal's recent failings and Del Toro's success, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that both sides may be looking to reopen conversations. 

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I would like to see him do a version of Dracula.

Make Dracula the real bad villian the Universal monster universe can unite against.

I have it! Universal monsters of old build giant Robot versions of themselves which they fight within in order to protect earth from an alien invasion. After saving humanity we bless the whole thing with a kiss as humanity learns a valuable lesson about fearing those which are different than ourselves, except for the aliens we just wiped out.

Michael Bay and BOOM! Blockbuster.

Make these movies dark, gothic and creepy like the originals. Humor is fine if it's dry and dark (James Whale was a master at this). Don't try to make them too much like modern blockbusters; let the films find their own niche. Del Toro handled The Shape of Water delicately, there's no reason a remake of Frankenstein or Bride can't be as poignant and touching as the original films were.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:47 AM, Larryw7 said:

Make these movies dark, gothic and creepy like the originals. Humor is fine if it's dry and dark (James Whale was a master at this). Don't try to make them too much like modern blockbusters; let the films find their own niche. Del Toro handled The Shape of Water delicately, there's no reason a remake of Frankenstein or Bride can't be as poignant and touching as the original films were.

Be guided by what HE says! :wink:

Supposedly the Dark Universe is not dead.

Dark Universe Blumhouse Movie Gets Release Date

Following the release of The Mummy, it has been questioned whether or not if Universal Pictures will be moving forward with their "Dark Universe" cinematic universe. However, last week saw an artist state on Instagram that he met with Universal about the Dark Universe movies.

Now it's possible that a Dark Universe movie has been given a release date, which will be a Blumhouse Productions film, as last year saw producer Jason Blum express interest in tackling a low-budget entry into the new connected monster universe. Universal Pictures has given an untitled Blumhouse horror project a February 14, 2019 release date.

• Bride of Frankenstein 
  • The Invisible Man
  • Creature from the Black Lagoon 
  • Van Helsing 
  • The Wolf Man 
  • Quasimodo 

On 3/11/2018 at 8:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Universal also passed on Del Toro's "At the Mountains of Madness" when he refused to step down to a PG-13 rating rather than an R rating.

The Mummy got a very raw deal. Someone started a smear campaign against it and coupled with admittedly poor marketing the film failed to ignite. The movie is not bad. Not great but a solid flick with some good scares. Someone(s) very much wanted it to fail.

Leigh Whannell and Blumhouse successfully resuscitated Universal's monsters with this weekend's The Invisible Man. Now the filmmaker and Blumhouse are solidifying their longstanding relationship.

Whannell, known for the Saw and Insidious franchises, has inked a two-year overall deal with Blumhouse for film and television. The first-look deal will include projects he writes, directs or produces. The filmmaker and Blumhouse have collaborated on seven projects to date, with The Invisible Man off to a strong start that could see it earn $26 million over opening weekend.

Whannell broke into the horror scene by cowriting and starring in Saw, the 2004 low-budget sensation he created with James Wan that has spawned a sprawling franchise for Lionsgate. In 2010, Whannell and Wan struck horror gold again by launching the Insidious franchise with Blumhouse.

quaman director James Wan is set to develop a new monster movie for Universal through his Atomic Monster production company.

James Wan’s Aquaman was one of the biggest success stories of 2018, grossing over $1B and quickly became one of the most successful DC Comic films of all time. Before this, however, James Wan was primarily known for horror films, such as the first Saw film, the Insidious films, and The Conjuring movies. But now it appears that James Wan is being drawn back into the horror genre for monster movie with Universal.

According to a report from The Hollywood Reporter, James Wan is set to produce a film that will take cues from the classic Universal movie monsters but it did not say if it will be directly based on one of the monsters. Longtime Supernatural writer and co-producer Robbie Thompson is currently will write the -script and a director has yet to be announced.  The story, however, is said to focus on a group of teens who discover a neighbor is building a monster in his basement who eventually gets out. Only time will tell what film it actually turns out to be.