• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

Geez, it almost looks fake...

I sincerely doubt that it is.

If you're preparing to auction off a potential $2-3,000,000+ comic book, you don't begin to stimulate interest by paying for an add in the OSPG and presenting anything less than the real thing.

If the image is fake, and the real book itself doesn't live up to the add in the guide, that would be very deflating. So, I'm pretty confident that it's the real deal. (thumbs u

This book looks amazing. I don't think 3 million is out of the question. Although I would love to see why its a 9.0.

Me too, but it's sure not because of the fc. Have to think its a back cover or interior defect that no one will care too much about. It sure seems to present like a 9.2/9.4, and a fresh one at that

For Mitch's sake, I hope this isn't a newly uncovered copy.

Poor guy will probably have a nervous breakdown since he proclaimed that no new high grade copies would ever be discovered again.

Might be the first prediction he's ever gotten incorrect.

For Mitch's sake, I hope this isn't a newly uncovered copy.

Poor guy will probably have a nervous breakdown since he proclaimed that no new high grade copies would ever be discovered again.

Might be the first prediction he's ever gotten incorrect.

I'm just waiting for him to slag the consignor as they are not one of the "major players" in his books. :popcorn:

Geez, it almost looks fake...
Based on the pictures, my first thought was this book had to be washed/cleaned in the 70s and perfectly preserved since.

Hopefully it has a nice provenance and just one in a million that made it through the years though!

At my first comic con; Phil Seuling's 1972 July 4th extravaganza, there were two books that are etched on my mind. One was an Action #1 on sale for $1,000. I don't remember the condition; it didn't matter I was just blown away I was looking at one. For a twelve year old it might have cost $1 million.

They were out there back then. If the owner purchased it back in those days he must be one shrewd collector / investor to have held off on selling for this long. This book proves there are others likely to come to market.

With this book likely to fetch multiple millions they will really need to be clear about where this book has been stored and preserved. Exciting times; more hope for anyone with the coin to pick up some unknown gold in the years ahead.

They were out there back then. If the owner purchased it back in those days he must be one shrewd collector / investor to have held off on selling for this long. This book proves there are others likely to come to market.

The collectors who were lucky enough to be the right age in the 60s and early 70s are now coming up or in the age of retirement. We should not be surprised that these folks, most of whom are long-term holders, have some incredibly great stuff stashed away. For example, I know a guy who bought an Archie 1 in 1972 for $200. That price gives you an indication of how remarkable the copy is. It has been stashed away now for over 40 years. And its just one of many great books he has. He's only now starting to slowly liquidate his collection to prepare for retirement.

My guess is that there are MANY incredible books that are likely to come to market as the first generation of collectors retire and liquidate (ala Don and Maggie) that are both incredible and which no one here will ever be able to say "that's my old copy."

For what its worth, Pristine previously sold high grade SA comics at auction through Pedigree.

Same Pristine that brought the 2 Iron Man 1 9.9, the 2 Cap 100 9.9, IMSM 1 9.9 and Nick Fury 1 9.9 to market.

Also sold a Pep22 4.5 for 111K.

The collectors who were lucky enough to be the right age in the 60s and early 70s are now coming up or in the age of retirement. We should not be surprised that these folks, most of whom are long-term holders, have some incredibly great stuff stashed away. For example, I know a guy who bought an Archie 1 in 1972 for $200. That price gives you an indication of how remarkable the copy is. It has been stashed away now for over 40 years. And its just one of many great books he has. He's only now starting to slowly liquidate his collection to prepare for retirement.

My guess is that there are MANY incredible books that are likely to come to market as the first generation of collectors retire and liquidate (ala Don and Maggie) that are both incredible and which no one here will ever be able to say "that's my old copy."

Bring it on! Keeps the hobby active and alive!!

My understanding is the book was graded last year and out on the census today to coincide with the ospg ad

The back cover has some issue which is what keeps the grade down a bit.

My understanding is the book was graded last year and out on the census today to coincide with the ospg ad

The back cover has some issue which is what keeps the grade down a bit.

Am I the only who is bothered by the idea that grading dates might be manipulated in this way?

I think that you're bang on. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the high quality stuff that's sitting in people's collections that hasn't seen the light of day for 40 years or more.

$200 was a huge amount to pay for a comic back in 1972 so it must have been a heck of a copy. Hopefully he kept it well.