• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second Action 1 9.0 to hit the census

723 posts in this topic

So the CGC records say it was graded in Feb, assuming that is when it happened all that has been "manipulated" is holding back on inclusion of the book on the CGC Census. The records are (assumedly) accurate.

Just to be clear, this morning the CGC verification feature on the The Collector's Society site says that the book was graded in February. Yesterday, it said 7/18/14. Not saying there's anything nefarious going on, but it did change.

They got caught so they changed it?

or it got a default date upon data upload with the other slabs that were being added to the census, and then they went back to fix it.

I see the glass half full, you see it half evil...

;)

Has anyone ever discussed forming a syndicate to purchase a book of this caliber? With the potential final hammer prices being conjectured and this appearing as one of the bluest of the blue chip collectibles in the comics world I would sure be interested in participating in something like that if the terms were correct.

That happened before on a Marvel Comics #1. It did not end up well

Hopefully not with the book torn into pieces!!

So the CGC records say it was graded in Feb, assuming that is when it happened all that has been "manipulated" is holding back on inclusion of the book on the CGC Census. The records are (assumedly) accurate.

Just to be clear, this morning the CGC verification feature on the The Collector's Society site says that the book was graded in February. Yesterday, it said 7/18/14. Not saying there's anything nefarious going on, but it did change.

They got caught so they changed it?

or it got a default date upon data upload with the other slabs that were being added to the census, and then they went back to fix it.

I see the glass half full, you see it half evil...

;)

Evil is a strong word but I have seen enough of this kind of head scratching stuff over the years that I'm not surprised.

The seller is not backing down from ebay. Dont you think all the other auction house have talked to him and it all will be free. I would offer it all free to the seller the press alone is worth more than the book?

I made the mistake of checking out the General thread about this book. That was 20 IQ points I lost that I'll never get back.

yea, It pained me the ignorance flying free, my favorite part was someone comparing this book to GI joe #21... :D

This may be the only time in our lives we'll ever hear G.I. Joe #21 compared to Action Comics #1 in a serious tone. Thank God. doh!

Ebay has a page up announcing the sale. There's a video with Darren Adams and Matt Nelson discussing the book's history and significance. A lot of it's a sales pitch, but there's some interesting information in there.

Ebay Action 1

It's a delicate balance. There's a theory that any publicity is good for building interest. Conversely, too much perceived hype could have just the opposite effect.

I agree I do think CGC needs to speak to the census update topic.

People do make purchasing decisions based on a books census count and the related market results.

I'd be upset if I was buying the "single highest graded" of something when it wasnt.

(and yes I know this can happen anyway because people hold back high grade raw comics all the time and they never hit the census...)

I have a slightly different view of the census data. It is a FREE service provided by CGC (why they don't charge for access still amazes me). Given it is free, folks can complain all they want, but it is free. Everyone should know that the census data is not 100% accurate and uses it with than in mind. If folks aren't aware it isn't 100% accurate, please take note now.

It's clear that there are a lot of inadvertent inaccuracies in the census that result form data being keyed in incorrectly. There is also the problem of the same book being entered two or more times because of resubmissions.

I think it's a different matter, though, when CGC intentionally delays entering a book into the census until months after it was graded.

Ebay has a page up announcing the sale. There's a video with Darren Adams and Matt Nelson discussing the book's history and significance. A lot of it's a sales pitch, but there's some interesting information in there.

Ebay Action 1

It's a delicate balance. There's a theory that any publicity is good for building interest. Conversely, too much perceived hype could have just the opposite effect.

Excellent point. I wonder whether a private sale of this book wouldn't have been a better idea.

Ebay Action 1

Excellent point. I wonder whether a private sale of this book wouldn't have been a better idea.

Maybe but the more I think about it the more than I think there will be huge interest from big players. I wouldn't be surprised if Metro is a bidder themselves because they could easily flip it to some of their top client's. I think what might suffer is the other 9.0 copy if it hits the market soon after.

People do make purchasing decisions based on a books census count and the related market results.

I'd be upset if I was buying the "single highest graded" of something when it wasnt.

(and yes I know this can happen anyway because people hold back high grade raw comics all the time and they never hit the census...)

I have a slightly different view of the census data. It is a FREE service provided by CGC (why they don't charge for access still amazes me). Given it is free, folks can complain all they want, but it is free. Everyone should know that the census data is not 100% accurate and uses it with than in mind. If folks aren't aware it isn't 100% accurate, please take note now.

It's clear that there are a lot of inadvertent inaccuracies in the census that result form data being keyed in incorrectly. There is also the problem of the same book being entered two or more times because of resubmissions.

I think it's a different matter, though, when CGC intentionally delays entering a book into the census until months after it was graded.

Why is it bad (shrug) it is their census and they can do what every they want with it.

Why is it bad (shrug) it is their census and they can do what every they want with it.

Because doing this has the potential to undermine their integrity.

The census affects market conditions and when they alter the way they report the census for a specific book they appear to be purposefully manipulating the market, perhaps to someone's advantage, and another's disadvantage. Their policy should be to be "independent" in all possible instances.

The census affects market conditions and when they alter the way they report the census for a specific book they appear to be purposefully manipulating the market, perhaps to someone's advantage, and another's disadvantage. Their policy should be to be "independent" in all possible instances.

Why (shrug) do you not realize CGC is a for profit company? They operate to make a profit and do what they need to in order to achieve this. Again, the census is a FREE thing they provide much like these boards. Of course they don't do it to be nice to all of us, they do it because they believe it helps their business. How it affects the market is entirely because of how people use (or misuse) the information.

Why (shrug) do you not realize CGC is a for profit company? They operate to make a profit and do what they need to in order to achieve this. Again, the census is a FREE thing they provide much like these boards. Of course they don't do it to be nice to all of us, they do it because they believe it helps their business. How it affects the market is entirely because of how people use (or misuse) the information.

Well, if profits are the overriding factor in their corporate decisions, I think they need to consider how being either outright or perceived to be: 1) playing favorites; or 2) inconsistent in policy, affects their profits.

Well, if profits are the overriding factor in their corporate decisions, I think they need to consider how being either outright or perceived to be: 1) playing favorites; or 2) inconsistent in policy, affects their profits.

That may be true but to date it doesn't seem to matter to their bottom line.

02_Action1_Right_p2_zps6b46c8a9.png

:o

Snow White!

Quite impressive....especially the condition of the staples....they look brand new....

This bookis gonna crack 3million no problem....

Final sale price $3,001,500.