• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2015, July 8-12, San Diego, Ca.

374 posts in this topic

I love that I was shut out of Comic Con next year, but I know almost 7 people that got 4 day passes and they could care less about anything comic related. They only go for parties and to photograph cosplayers!

Like last year I was lucky and got in within a few minutes of them being on sale

I got 4 day plus preview.

It still saddens me that comic fans have trouble getting badges and the people that just go to hall H get the same tickets and don't even look at or read comics.

I have a question from a friend. They are to lazy to join the boards . They were able to get 4 day passes but not preview night. Can they try for open registration for the preview night? I told them I remember something last year where some people couldn't try since they won tickets in the pre-registration. But I don't recall exactly what that was. Any one recall? I wish I and many other boardies were in their dilemma!!

I have a question from a friend. They are to lazy to join the boards . They were able to get 4 day passes but not preview night. Can they try for open registration for the preview night? I told them I remember something last year where some people couldn't try since they won tickets in the pre-registration. But I don't recall exactly what that was. Any one recall? I wish I and many other boardies were in their dilemma!!

I think you can.

I got lucky and got tix for this year. Very excited to be back for another year.

I think you can.

I got lucky and got tix for this year. Very excited to be back for another year.

Yes you definitely can. If you already have tickets for some days, if you are lucky enough to get in during open registration you can add in whatever days you don't have. I'm in the same boat. I have four days but no Preview night. I'm hoping to get that during open registration.

Like last year I was lucky and got in within a few minutes of them being on sale

It still saddens me that comic fans have trouble getting badges and the people that just go to hall H get the same tickets and don't even look at or read comics.

Were you helping anyone out?

I got four days without Preview Night. It will be the first time in a decade I don't attend Preview Night.

I'm going to try to add to the pass during the open registration. But I'm guessing that if you're not past the waiting room in the first 15 minutes, you're out of luck.

I help people every year.

my friends got in within 10-15 mins and got my badges as well (preview night and 4 days)

It took me 45 mins until it was my turn. I think most of the badges were gone already by the time it loaded up for me.

Now we wait for the hotels and parking passes...

I help people every year.

hm

This is the first time I've ever been shut out on the presale. I'm not very optimistic about the general onsale either. More competition.

I've been going to SDCC since it began, Mar. 1970. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think seniority and loyalty should count for something. I'm pretty sure it does if you're a long time season ticket buyer for sports teams

I conveyed this to John Rogers at Con Talkback last summer but he just gave me a blank look.

I'm curious about why so many feel a sweeping loyalty program based upon previous year attendance is the way to go? We've heard and read about the thousands of Con goers who flood the floors and halls but spend very little beyond the admission. How advantageous is it for SD to lock out so many potential new dollars with an attendance loyalty program? I'm surprised they even continue with it.

If anything San Diego and every other major Con should start utilizing the full potential of the bar code scanning system to determine who is attending, how much they are spending and where. Going forward they should target those who actually make the show profitable for all vendors and possibly consider a loyalty based upon those numbers.

I'm curious about why so many feel a sweeping loyalty program based upon previous year attendance is the way to go? We've heard and read about the thousands of Con goers who flood the floors and halls but spend very little beyond the admission. How advantageous is it for SD to lock out so many potential new dollars with an attendance loyalty program? I'm surprised they even continue with it.

If anything San Diego and every other major Con should start utilizing the full potential of the bar code scanning system to determine who is attending, how much they are spending and where. Going forward they should target those who actually make the show profitable for all vendors and possibly consider a loyalty based upon those numbers.

I sure as hell would not want anyone tracking the amount of dollars I spend or where I spend it. Besides I use 100% cash at the cons and would never use a credit card at a dealer table.

My personal bias would be to honor the loyalty system since I have gone to the con every single year for the last 22 or 23 years. However, even I don't think that would be fair. When there is a limited amount of something very desirable, why should everyone that has had it before be favored next time around? I don't think it should be, and it is weird the way they do it now where one year of loyalty gives people an advantage. To be fair to everyone, we should all have an equal chance each year to purchase a ticket. No advantages to anyone.

If I were to make a suggestion, it would be to expand the con to a full week, have Preview night on Monday and regular hours Tues-Sun. Spreading it out like this would allow more people to go as I don't think most would attend the full week (but I would!).

I don't know why they don't sell tickets to the larger panels individually. That would seem to be a nice new revenue stream for them, and at least some of the folks that just go to panels could buy their panel tickets without bothering with the regular passes. It would also help with the epic lines for the panels, and maybe prevent folks from having to sleep out so they can enjoy the evenings more. Maybe a separate Hall H (or whatever it is called, I've never been) that wouldn't give them access to the dealer floor.

Just an idea. (shrug)

Unfortunately, consumer tracking is here to stay.

The tracking at a vendors table would be a Con provided reader where the vendor would enter the dollars spent then swipe your pass.

You would have thought by now SDCC would have initiated an expansion of days so that they could take full advantage of more ticket sales however allowing the purchase of a 7 day pass would defeat the purpose. I would think the object from an SDCC standpoint is generate maximum dollars and with the issue of far too many attendees spending too few dollars a 7 day pass would only exacerbate the situation.

I no longer attend the show, I attended 99-09 and found the show is no longer worth the expense but find it incredulous that there are people who want to attend yet can't because SDCC seems incapable of resolving this attendance issue.

I don't know why they don't sell tickets to the larger panels individually. That would seem to be a nice new revenue stream for them, and at least some of the folks that just go to panels could buy their panel tickets without bothering with the regular passes. It would also help with the epic lines for the panels, and maybe prevent folks from having to sleep out so they can enjoy the evenings more. Maybe a separate Hall H (or whatever it is called, I've never been) that wouldn't give them access to the dealer floor.

Just an idea. (shrug)

That idea has been brought up before and I agree with it. SDCC is leaving money off the table by not doing this already, and it would solve problems as well, for example line-jumpers. And more people would be able to get into the show. I know for sure that there are some that only care about the Hall H and other large popular programming events that could care less about what is happening on the exhibition floor.

The tracking at a vendors table would be a Con provided reader where the vendor would enter the dollars spent then swipe your pass.

Yeah right, I don't think that would be too popular with either buyers or vendors. If anything that would cut down on the dwindling sales already. No one would want to mess with that. Not to mention it is also a privacy issue.