• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone in the Los Angeles Area want to split an order of Drawer boxes?

23 posts in this topic

I am in the process of building a comics closet and want to replace most of my old style boxes with Drawer Boxes.

I really need about 75+ l, but to get the best price I should take more like 125.

The retail on the boxes is 15+ plus tax, without the Box Rails. I think the price would be closer to $13 all in, including the box rails..

You would have to pick up the boxes from the San Fernando valley.

PM me if you are interested.

Jim

Glad you spelled that with "pl" instead of an "H"

in case you do not know what I am referring to this is a link to the website.

http://www.collectiondrawer.com/comics

These seem vastly superior to the standard long box system where only the top row of boxes are accessible and the contents of the lower boxes being crushed.

I believe these can be ordered through Diamond. Perhaps your local comic shop would be able to get these for you at the quantity you want at a decent price (if you ask nicely and bring them cookies)?

Too bad you aren't in the northeast, I'd give you mine. Not happy with them

I've thought about getting these as well. Why don't you like them?

I am curious what problems you have had with them? They seem great, but would love to find out more, especially prior to investing A grand in them.

Are these the same ones I am looking at, or the less well made knock offs from BCE?

Feel free to PM me if you do not want to discuss in public.

Rcheli

I think they are much more expensive from Diamond, and so far the only LCS that stocks them was not offering any quantity discount , nor did they stock the rails. Of course I did not offer them a bribe of cookies. On the other hand they would construct the boxes for free with their price

1. Since they don't have lids, dust and other particles can get in to the crack between the drawer and the cardboard sleeve

2. Since they don't have lids, you can't stack them if you need to move more than a few to another room or another house

3. If you think they could be moved with the sleeves on, the idea is that you clip them to each other side-by side (one becoming the counterweight for the other when drawers are open). Once on, the clips don't come off unless you rip them, it's just an awkward arrangement. Was a right pain to assemble

4. To pull the drawers out you really need to tug hard, and to reach the back 6 inches of the drawer you have to pull it all the way out and set it on the floor - not really ideal for frequent filing

I met the guy who invented them at a con. I feel bad saying so but they didn't really work for me

I am curious what problems you have had with them? They seem great, but would love to find out more, especially prior to investing A grand in them.

Are these the same ones I am looking at, or the less well made knock offs from BCE?

Feel free to PM me if you do not want to discuss in public.

Rcheli

I think they are much more expensive from Diamond, and so far the only LCS that stocks them was not offering any quantity discount , nor did they stock the rails. Of course I did not offer them a bribe of cookies. On the other hand they would construct the boxes for free with their price

Yes, this is the same brand.

I find them useful for storing my vintage paperbacks.

Sell them to me.

Sure, I can find something else to store them in.

1. Since they don't have lids, dust and other particles can get in to the crack between the drawer and the cardboard sleeve

2. Since they don't have lids, you can't stack them if you need to move more than a few to another room or another house

3. If you think they could be moved and stacked with the sleeves on, the idea is that you clip them to each other side-by side (one becoming the counterweight for the other when drawers are open). Once on the clips don't come off unless you rip them, it's just an awkward arrangement. Was a right pain to assemble

4. To pull the drawers out you really need to tug hard, and to reach the back 6 inches of the drawer you have to pull it all the way out and set it on the floor - not really ideal for frequent filing

I met the guy who invented them at a con. I feel bad saying so but they didn't really work for me

1) I understand what you are saying about dust, but these boxes are intended for an enclosed closet where there should be little circulation or dust. For the boxes that are stored in the garage I might not use them. Of course even on shelving, the boxes get very dusty in the garage.

2) Not sure why you could not stack them to move from room to room. The outer shell is designed to be able to hold far more weight than the standard long box and will keep the books from being squashed if you do stack them.

3)The clips are not required to be used and the boxes could just be stacked next to each other. It seems to be a bit difficult to remove the clips once installed, but at worst they break and they only cost about a buck each. Once you have built your wall of boxes, why would they need to be moved frequently?

4) the drawers are designed with Tabs ( stops stays?). These keep the drawer from easily being pulled all the way out and falling. Many real drawers are built with the same safety system. You can use the brute force method to pull the inner box out, but since the tabs are only cardboard this will eventually cause them to fail. Instead if the outer shell in expanded slightly the drawer will come out without damage. How to easily accomplish this without 3 or more hands I do not yet know

I can see where the access to the back 20% of the drawer will be a problem, but it seems far less so that having no access to the 80% of the stack of boxes that are not on top.

Just want to :bump:

This one more time.

I am planning on entering the ordwe tomorrow afternoon. Sure someday wants to tske 20 or so of these. I might be ablr to knock another buck off if I can negotoate it.

I'd love to get in on this but can't afford too many all at once. I have a separate Comic Room in our house and have been slowly converting over to Drawer Boxes. A couple of stores in my area (and around work) carry the boxes but they usually run out quick. I've ordered 5 directly from the website but man is the shipping expensive! So now I keep an eye out when they're in-stock at the stores and pick up 2 at a time. The local shops have hit a dry spell so I'm dying here!

I partnered with one of the LCS's in the area and got my order of over 125 boxes last week.

Man was that a MOUNTAIN of cardboard and weighed in at over 700 lbs.. 19 varying sized and weights of bundles of 25 components each

I needed a bit of help in loading up my wife's SUV, and it still took two trips to get everything. Was able to store about 1/2 of the load in my garage and the balance at my storage facility.

FOr the most part they are as advertised and the inner drawers with rails and locking dividers are excellent for storing and accessing books.

The only issue I have is with the box locking component. you have to install the locks into the shell prior to inserting the liner, AND it is BEST if you build and lock your entire row of boxes prior to inserting liner or drawer. So this means that you cannot simply add another box to the configuration as needed.

For me that means I have to fully empty my closet of comics moving 30 boxes to another room and then figure out how to assemble rows that are 9 wide and fit them into the walk in closet.

even with that negative I think that these are by far the best inexpensive way to store and access masses of comics. I have already built a few shells and at least 20 drawers and have used at least 1/2 of those while "retiring" 7 older long boxes.

I will still; have extra long boxes if any body in the LA area wants to try them.

You could also use the components separately if you only want the shell and not the inner drawer. Your old box will fit inside but stick out a few inches.

Jim

plan to do much of the heavy lifting and moving over this 3 day weekend.

I have built and am using about a dozen of the drawer units already, however they are not yet combined with the shells.

I will be emptying out the closet of the 30 long boxes and moving them into the closet in my youngest daughter's bedroom. able to this since we delivered her back to her sophomore year in college back east last week.

once I have moved and reorganized the 1000+lbs of comics I will start to assemble my wall of drawer boxes. I have taken RIch's advice and learned how to assemble the outer shells into locked sets 3 wide prior to moving or placing them. I have made two sets and had quite a learning curve between them.The second set still look over 30 minutes to assemble. Not sure if I will be able to lock 3 sets of 3 boxes together for my 9 wide configuration. I will know more by the end of the week.

Love the drawers and the boxes, but have mixed feelings about the boxlocks

Anybody in the Los Angeles area interested in sharing some of these? I will have extras?

If I could figure out how to access and upload images from my tablet I will share my progress in the project. When completed I expect to have 36 long boxes and perhaps 18 CGC boxes fully accessable in this closet.

Ended up reconfiguring the layout of the closet. So far have 23

full drawer boxes against the back short wall. Not rumning thèm

along the long wall as I could npt load the boxes with the drawers, and even if I xould would only habe àccess to 2/3 rds of the the co tents

This way I have easy access, and will still have dull access whem

I build another set o the other sjort wall. Not sure if that wall wwill be 4 wide or 5 wide butcertaimly 4 high

Anyway, I am bringing so e of my extra components and old

boxes tp the granada hills comic co this sunday. If anybody is I ternterested, pleaae pm me so I canhave an idea jpw many to bring