• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's about to get weird all up in here.. posted by Jpmazur

6 posts in this topic

Losing my mind..

Okay, I just purchased a copy of issue #12 of Marvel's romance title "My Love". Why? Because it has a cover date of July, 1971. That is just one of the odd sets that I'm putting together: Marvel, July 1971.

The other weird sets I'm going for are "Marvel #8's", "Last Pre-Hero", and a subset of the July 1971 set, which consists of the original issue of any reprints published that month.

Does anyone else get really way more obsessive than they should, about putting together a set?

See more journals by Jpmazur

My primary collecting set is the DC Comics from July 1976 which have a red, white and blue banner across the top.

I could only get 21 of the 33 issues through various auctions but now I'm trying to pick up the issues raw so I can CGC them.

The silly thing is that it costs more to CGC them than either what I pay for the comic or what they're worth.

Is this obsessive? :D

These are interesting set themes. I imagine it makes for a total fun time: from the creation of the concept, to setting target goals, budgets, and projections of completion, to the satisfaction of acquiring each comic, one-by-one.

Best of luck... I hope you accomplish your collecting goals.

SW3D

Sure, it's been a couple weeks, but.....

Any progress on the Bicentennial issues?

Just curious.

Oh, and are you trying to stick with a certain grade or above? Or are you throwing caution to the wind?

I picked up four raw comics for my Bicentennial set and submitted them to CGC for my first grading submittal a few months back. The comics were from four different eBay sellers and were high-grade (supposedly).

Got them back and was pleasantly surprised they all were above 9.0 (one was 9.6) which is my desired minimum threshold. At one time I was only interested in White Pages but realized that may be too much to ask for and now will accept W, OW/W and OW.

So that makes 25 out of 33. Got four more raw comics coming in and, if they look NM, I'll be submitting them to CGC. Now that CGC has dropped the Modern definition to 1975, it's a lot cheaper for my collection!

Mahalo for the interest!