Category: Universal or C-1?

18 posts in this topic

1,948 posts

Perhaps this has been dealt with elsewhere but . . . is CGC introducing new categories for graded books? Beyond Universal, Restored, and Qualified?

I looked at an order of mine that has the status "Graded" online and along with the many books where Category = Universal, there are a few where Category = C-1.

What the heck is C-1?

Thanks,

C.

7,973 posts
Or Slight/Poor restoration?

I think you're right.

1,948 posts

Thanks for the link . . .

1,801 posts
Perhaps this has been dealt with elsewhere but . . . is CGC introducing new categories for graded books? Beyond Universal, Restored, and Qualified?

I looked at an order of mine that has the status "Graded" online and along with the many books where Category = Universal, there are a few where Category = C-1.

What the heck is C-1?

Thanks,

C.

Check the "pedigree" tab - they sometimes write the reason in there.

Have one lot waiting for slabbing - listed as C1 - TRIMMED (UGH) -

C = poor restoration - the 1 is slight.

though once you are hit with the trimmed label - not really slight anything......

40,292 posts

Soooooooo, now we have CLODs? (shrug)

40,292 posts
Have one lot waiting for slabbing - listed as C1 - TRIMMED (UGH) -

C = poor restoration - the 1 is slight.

though once you are hit with the trimmed label - not really slight anything......

Nothing C about trimming; this can't be right. :eyeroll:

1,801 posts

well - I will fully admit to CLOD status on that particular book - as I did not notice the trimming......

:sorry:

I think that CGC was trying to get more definition to the whole restoration and conservation scales - but really - think that they may just end up confusing things a lot with the multiple letters and numbers that they can assign.

Any trimming gets "C" level (poor restoration) - which really - once it is trimmed - is there even a 1-2-3 difference anymore?

40,292 posts

well - I will fully admit to CLOD status on that particular book - as I did not notice the trimming......

I think that CGC was trying to get more definition to the whole restoration and conservation scales - but really - think that they may just end up confusing things a lot with the multiple letters and numbers that they can assign.

Any trimming gets "C" level (poor restoration) - which really - once it is trimmed - is there even a 1-2-3 difference anymore?

I re-read the article above. The "C" you are referring to has nothing to do with conservation - trimmed books will still be PLODS.

I like the idea of the new Conserved Grade, but I think it should be yet a different color. :)

1,801 posts

I re-read the article above. The "C" you are referring to has nothing to do with conservation - trimmed books will still be PLODS.

I like the idea of the new Conserved Grade, but I think it should be yet a different color. :)

I do agree with the conserved grade thing too - to me there is a huge difference in PLOD for trimming - and a good real restoration job by a professional.

At least now I have a good reference copy of what NOT to submit (as if that makes it better, lol)

40,292 posts

I do agree with the conserved grade thing too - to me there is a huge difference in PLOD for trimming - and a good real restoration job by a professional.

At least now I have a good reference copy of what NOT to submit (as if that makes it better, lol)

Seriously, failure is the best way to learn. (thumbs u :blush:

972 posts
2 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Just found out I have a C-1 with ASM 6

Ouch

And in your grief...

source.gif

...you dug up a thread from 2014? O.o

2,362 posts
7 hours ago, oldrover said:

And in your grief...

source.gif

...you dug up a thread from 2014? O.o

:roflmao:

4,782 posts
On 11/18/2019 at 1:30 AM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Just found out I have a C-1 with ASM 6

Ouch

Was wondering can a book with a C-1 designation (small amount of color touch on cover) be removed? 

1,229 posts
4 hours ago, loboagain said:

Was wondering can a book with a C-1 designation (small amount of color touch on cover) be removed? 

Hope to find out, going to send it back in

3,161 posts
18 hours ago, loboagain said:

This is a possibility. But be advised that since it's C-1, that would imply the color touch is amateur, so removing the color touch usually means removing small pieces of the cover as well...