• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My research on ideal slab storage methods- a lengthy but comprehensive read....
3 3

64 posts in this topic

Since we're on the subject, can anybody recommend a fire proof filing cabinet that can store slabs in it?

:gossip: Two words. Rusty staples

Maybe, maybe not. Mine have been in a fire proof safe for 5 years with no signs whatsoever of anything like that. Of course, I regularly open the safe and have about 10 pounds of silicate crystals in the bottom of it.

Well then, I guess with proper maintenance it's an effective way. Personally I'd never consider it

Great post, newshane.

I did lots of research on the subject about 10 years ago. Here's what I concluded works best for me...

Open wood shelves (not closed cabinets), flat stacks, bags and mylars. (thumbs u

(Climate-controlled, ventilated, none on the floor, security system, video cameras, etc.) lol

storageslabs1.jpg

How many of those are CEARs?

lol

But seriously, how many?

-slym

None. That's a view of shelves starting with "H". ;)

Since we're on the subject, can anybody recommend a fire proof filing cabinet that can store slabs in it?

Maybe, maybe not. Mine have been in a fire proof safe for 5 years with no signs whatsoever of anything like that. Of course, I regularly open the safe and have about 10 pounds of silicate crystals in the bottom of it.

Cool. It's something I'm still looking into and not really in a rush right now. If I did have a safe it would be opened regularly in a climate controlled area. It's just the thought of losing another collection to a disaster such as a fire again makes me shutter.

I think we are all afraid of that.

But keep in mind that your comics would likely perish even inside of a fire-proof safe. After 30 minutes or so, the heat alone would do a number on your comics, even if they were encapsulated or bagged.

Cool. It's something I'm still looking into and not really in a rush right now. If I did have a safe it would be opened regularly in a climate controlled area. It's just the thought of losing another collection to a disaster such as a fire again makes me shutter.

Good decision! Do the research. There are fireproof safes that don't contribute to rust. Go data grade for maximum protection (I'd recommend looking at Phoenix safes). Use silicates for humidity control and change packets or silicate containers out periodically (usually every six months to a year based on quantity of silicate and internal measurement of safe; the one's that change color make this easy). Monitor humidity and heat in safe with appropriate devices. There is a broader temperature range than you might think, but what you should be shooting for is room temperature (60 to 70 degrees) or less and relative humidity of around 50% (not too dry, not moist).

Note: There is some debate among paper conservationists about the ideal humidity for paper. Complicating matters is the fact that paper quality varies (paper lignin degrades at different rates). Too much dryness may be as detrimental as moisture, so finding an ideal median range that keeps paper supple while not contributing to staple rust is the optimum goal. Wood pulp products have acid content from processing which may cause paper to age at erratic, unpredictable rates. Ink pH also contributes to paper aging. CGC holders have filter paper designed for off gassing detrimental chemicals. These gasses should be absorbed by silicates, but just to be on the safe side (pun intended) I'd recommend airing out your safe and it's contents periodically.

I quizzed the guy at the safe store and that's what his advice was too.

This is a great thread. I recently pulled a few thicker slabs that were stored upright to store flat. These were my Bronze 52 and 48 page giants. The books were a bit wavy due the somewhat loose inner wells. At this point, I doubt gravity will flatten those waves, but I just can't help being OCD and paranoid.

Got a couple questions regarding about MARVELSEAL product. How do you apply this film on wood inside a drawer? Does it come with a sticky side that you can peel off and lay this side on wood?

Just wondering... (thumbs u Thanks for a great read!

Got a couple questions regarding about MARVELSEAL product. How do you apply this film on wood inside a drawer? Does it come with a sticky side that you can peel off and lay this side on wood?

Just wondering... (thumbs u Thanks for a great read!

Looks like you use wood glue...some of the products have self-adhesive.

I asked this on another thread but thought I should put this question here and maybe revive this old thread a bit.

I know newshane talked about wood and metal cabinets but what about plastic cabinets or laminated (ikea) kind of cabinets or glass cabinets? Has anyone had any experience or done and research with those types of cabinets? 

I am glad I found this thread as I was planning to make a wood cabinet my self to store my most valuable comics thinking it would be the best protected as I would put security features, keep off floor, protect it from sunlight and keep it in a cool dry place with climate control as best as I can. but now re thinking this and wondering I I can do something with the glass display cabinets or find or make a plastic one. 

On 5/12/2016 at 10:04 PM, valiantman said:

Great post, newshane.

I did lots of research on the subject about 10 years ago. Here's what I concluded works best for me...

Open wood shelves (not closed cabinets), flat stacks, bags and mylars. (thumbs u

(Climate-controlled, ventilated, none on the floor, security system, video cameras, etc.) lol

storageslabs1.jpg

Since this topic got bumped, I should update my own setup, which is now to use the same shelves with the spine/staples side down.

slabvault.jpg

Edited by valiantman

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Since this topic got bumped, I should update my own setup, which is now to use the same shelves with the spine/staples side down.

slabvault.jpg

That's a Lot OF Valiant! :headbang: 

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

slabvault.jpg

That's a Lot OF Valiant! :headbang: 

There MIGHT be other books.

**cough**

51 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I too store my slabs "staple-side down" in order to prevent gravity from pulling the pages away from the staple.

I use an anti-grav projector on all my books.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:58 PM, valiantman said:

slabvault.jpg

May I ask why you decided to change your setup from laying them flat to spine-down? Was it just personal preference or did you learn new information about which method is better?